What happened to my L7S7A2?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I built a system about 18 months ago using the above board, a Athlon XP2400,
mx440 video, 1 512 Mb RAM, a 40 Gb HD , 300W Antec power supply and a CDRW
with winXP. It ran fine until last week and then when it was cold started
the power light would continuously flash but never POST. I replaced
everyhting except the motherboard and got the same result. If I cleared the
CMOS (with jumper) it would POST with the expected checksum error. If I
simply entered the date and time in the BIOS and tried to restart only the
power light would flash off and on. It did this every time I cleared the
CMOS. I got a replacement same model motherboard and used all og the
original parts and the system works fine.

There are is nothing obvious damaged with the original board. What could
have happened to it?

"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> I built a system about 18 months ago using the above board, a Athlon
> XP2400, mx440 video, 1 512 Mb RAM, a 40 Gb HD , 300W Antec power
> supply and a CDRW with winXP. It ran fine until last week and then
> when it was cold started the power light would continuously flash but
> never POST. I replaced everyhting except the motherboard and got the
> same result. If I cleared the CMOS (with jumper) it would POST with
> the expected checksum error. If I simply entered the date and time in
> the BIOS and tried to restart only the power light would flash off and
> on. It did this every time I cleared the CMOS. I got a replacement
> same model motherboard and used all og the original parts and the
> system works fine.
>
> There are is nothing obvious damaged with the original board. What
> could have happened to it?

Battery deay?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Kawosa" <kawosa@email.coma> wrote in message

> Battery deay?

I replaced the battery on the original board but forgot to mention that.

"Kawosa" <kawosa@email.coma> wrote in message
> "George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
> > I built a system about 18 months ago using the above board, a Athlon
> > XP2400, mx440 video, 1 512 Mb RAM, a 40 Gb HD , 300W Antec power
> > supply and a CDRW with winXP. It ran fine until last week and then
> > when it was cold started the power light would continuously flash but
> > never POST. I replaced everyhting except the motherboard and got the
> > same result. If I cleared the CMOS (with jumper) it would POST with
> > the expected checksum error. If I simply entered the date and time in
> > the BIOS and tried to restart only the power light would flash off and
> > on. It did this every time I cleared the CMOS. I got a replacement
> > same model motherboard and used all og the original parts and the
> > system works fine.
> >
> > There are is nothing obvious damaged with the original board. What
> > could have happened to it?
> >

> Battery deay?

If that were the case the system would still boot with the cmos defaults
loaded.
Given the boards age, more likely is leaking/bulging capacitors.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Mick Sitton" <michael.sitton@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> > Battery deay?
>
> If that were the case the system would still boot with the cmos defaults
> loaded.
> Given the boards age, more likely is leaking/bulging capacitors.

The capacitors all look like new with no evidence of leakage. I know
capacitors can fail without visible traces but I thought the capacitor
problem on motherboards was because of cheap parts that were used on some
boards which bulged as you suggested.