K7S5A Pro and RocketRAID 454

Hi,

I have a K7S5A Pro motherboard, and recently reinstalled my RocketRAID 454
card. Everything works fine except that from the time the blue RocketRAID
BIOS screen disappears until Windows XP starts booting is more than 2.5
MINUTES! I called HighPoint Tech Support, and the guy said "Oh that happens
with some motherboards -- on some machines it's up to 20 minutes"! He had
no useful suggestions.

He also said the motherboard was trying to find out where to boot from --
but the motherboard's ROM BIOS was set to boot from the RocketRAID card.
Furthermore, I've had this card installed before, without this ridiculous
wait.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

I have nothing attached to the motherboard's primary IDE connector, and two
DVD drives attached to the motherboard's secondary IDE connector. I have
one drive attached to each of the 4 RocketRAID connectors.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

"ERE" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a K7S5A Pro motherboard, and recently reinstalled my
> RocketRAID 454
> card. Everything works fine except that from the time the
> blue RocketRAID
> BIOS screen disappears until Windows XP starts booting is more
> than 2.5
> MINUTES! I called HighPoint Tech Support, and the guy said
> "Oh that happens
> with some motherboards -- on some machines it's up to 20
> minutes"! He had
> no useful suggestions.
>
> He also said the motherboard was trying to find out where to
> boot from --
> but the motherboard's ROM BIOS was set to boot from the
> RocketRAID card.
> Furthermore, I've had this card installed before, without this
> ridiculous
> wait.
>
> Has anybody else experienced this, or have any suggestions?
>
> I have nothing attached to the motherboard's primary IDE
> connector, and two
> DVD drives attached to the motherboard's secondary IDE
> connector. I have
> one drive attached to each of the 4 RocketRAID connectors.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

3 weeks... ouch. Faint hope is better than none at this point.

Make sure to disable the onboard IDE in BIOS (not just disconnected).
Try this.

Change the first boot drive to SCSI in BIOS (I know the 454 is not
SCSI but most BIOS’s use "SCSI" for all drive controller cards).
Try this.

If it still takes forever to boot, check for a shared IRQ in the
Device Manager and change the IRQ of the other device.
Try this.

Swap the card from slot to slot to change the assigned IRQ (kill the
power and ground yourself... not the other way around...).
Try this.

Can’t think of anything else off the top of my head. If I had the
BIOS screens in front of me it might jog my memory (or make me not
throw out so many suggestions).

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-K7S5A-Pro-RocketRAID-454-ftopict51676.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=258131