Thermaltake Frio Extreme CPU Cooler Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

$100 is way too much and it looks like you would need some extra low profile DIMMs to fit them under there.

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Just got a regular frio and I have to say, there is absolutely no need for better cooling (my FX-8120 idles around 10-12C, in a 20C room). If there is, best place to go is water. Besides, one of my ram slots is covered, the thing is HUMONGOUS!

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I paid the same price for my Vigor Monsoon III when bought it years ago. Like mine, this cooler is gonna limit which ram can be used. I'm stuck with low profile, but I also think mine might be bigger.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Viridiancrystal[/nom]Just got a regular frio and I have to say, there is absolutely no need for better cooling (my FX-8120 idles around 10-12C, in a 20C room). If there is, best place to go is water. Besides, one of my ram slots is covered, the thing is HUMONGOUS![/citation]Below ambient, eh? Hmmmm...

G

[citation][nom]Viridiancrystal[/nom]Just got a regular frio and I have to say, there is absolutely no need for better cooling (my FX-8120 idles around 10-12C, in a 20C room). If there is, best place to go is water. Besides, one of my ram slots is covered, the thing is HUMONGOUS![/citation]
Yeah, there's something wrong with your sensors. Air cooling can't get your CPU temperature below ambient temperature. How does that even make sense?

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Nice veridiancrystal. You have beat the laws of nature. It is impossible for a cpu cooler to cool your cpu below room temp. Its a fan , not an air conditioner

Diablo666

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Let's see how it compares to the noctua nh-d14. Right now using it idling at 34-35C and max 48-50C on a i7-2600k stock.

[citation][nom]Viridiancrystal[/nom]Just got a regular frio and I have to say, there is absolutely no need for better cooling (my FX-8120 idles around 10-12C, in a 20C room). If there is, best place to go is water. Besides, one of my ram slots is covered, the thing is HUMONGOUS![/citation]
If you were running refrigerated water cooling maybe, or 10-12c over ambient temp maybe. My hyper 212EVO (with 2 enermax 800rpm fans) gets my i7 2600 down to 21C at idle, and 40C at 4.2GHz under full load in a 20C room (and my sensors are working properly). Really, unless running monster Xeons, or highly OC'd SB-E chips what reason would you need something like this for? It's not like your case mods will help much in picking up chicks :p

Still, it looks nice... just not $100 nice.

G

[citation][nom]Diablo666[/nom]Let's see how it compares to the noctua nh-d14. Right now using it idling at 34-35C and max 48-50C on a i7-2600k stock.[/citation]
That's not all that impressive, honestly. I get the same temperatures on stock 2500K with Hyper 212 EVO. However, NH-D14 shines on higher clock speeds and that's where it mops the floor with most of other air coolers.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Firstly, I wouldn't spend $100 on a bar of gold if it was labeled "Thermaltake". Everything I have owned produced by thermaltake was junk, or quickly became junk.

$100 for any air cooler is past the point of reason when you could spend $40 on a cooler that will be within 2c and spend the balance on a better cpu or video card. The only reason to spend so much on an air cooler would be if it offered some other feature other than performance, i.e, it looked cool, was silent, or rolled and dispensed joints.

Another note, processor idle temp isn't really relative to performance. The total thermal load of a cooling system has very little to do with the idle temp, and idle temp doesn't affect performance of a cpu. Load temps are all that really matter, and the generally accepted max temps are quite conservative in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend burning a processor at 100% at 100c for days on end, but if your daily load generally doesn't utilize 100% of the cpu for long periods of time (like most people), than an 85-90c load temp isn't going to hurt anything.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
What's the deal with the picture links to see a larger view.
First you get a new page with virtually the same small picture, than you click that pic to get the 'large' version at -in this case- 220px × 220px.

Is Tom's CMS so crappy or is it caused by the writers/editors ?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Nothing like a product worth 33% of your processor giving you 20% more performance.[/citation]

The reason people buy coolers like this is not performance, but performance and noise.

$100 is a bit much, but there are people out there who'd rather spent $200 on coolers and fans than have a loud system.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
10 year warranty? It may as well be a 100 year warranty. What are the chances of this cooler being viable on any platform in 10 years, or there even being a processor that requires this much cooling in 10 years?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The reason people buy coolers like this is not performance, but performance and noise.$100 is a bit much, but there are people out there who'd rather spent $200 on coolers and fans than have a loud system.[/citation] Still excessively expensive you can get something like a Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer for about $40's or less that can be run without a fan no problem or a Thermalright HR-02 Macho for about $50's which also can be run without a fan even better then Sunbeam and can probably outperform the Thermaltake Frio Extreme if both are run fan less for about half the price.

I built a fan less PC with a SSD, fan less Seasonic X Series 400 watt PSU, and Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer and even I think it's excessive.

I see the justification of getting a Thermalright HR-02 Macho over the Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer for about $10-$15's more, but getting a Thermaltake Frio that is doubtful it can even beat a Thermalright HR-02 Macho in a passively fan less comparison between the two is absurd.

The Thermaltake Frio is excessively expensive for what it does in actuality you'd be better off investing that money elsewhere virtually any place in your PC even into other cooling areas.

A well ventilated case for better natural convection thus lowering case temperatures and in turn CPU temperatures for example is one obvious area if you don't all ready have one. Hell even crap like heat pipe heatsinks for your HD and Ram could potentially be as useful by expelling heat from those components more quickly thus helping lower case temperatures and in the case of ram better stability more overclock headroom and tighter timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.