USB Device Installation w/o Admin Privileges

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • USB
  • Windows XP
October 5, 2004 11:47:03 AM

My company just received new hardward for a custom application. The hardware
is a standard PC but for a dedicated application. There are no PS/2 ports on
the machine, only USB.

The OS is configured to auto-logon to a specific user account that does not
have Admin privileges (Power User). There is an HKLM autorun registry key
that automatically executes the custom application during logon.

Here's the problem. If the user plugs in a new USB Keyboard and/or mouse,
the PnP manager attempts to install the new device(s) but the installation
does not complete. In the case where there is a new keyboard and mouse (i.e.
when the machine first boots out of the box) there is no keyboard/mouse I/O.
The user is forced to do a hard reset of the machine.

Once the machine reboots, everything works fine. This is hardly the user
experience the company wants to provide. Elevating the auto-logon account to
an administrator is not an option. We tried that once and the user kept
messing up the computer. Thanks.

-harrier

More about : usb device installation admin privileges

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:13:45 PM

Hello,

Why don't you have them plug in the new device while the computer is off?
That way the wont have to do a hard reset and then wont see/know anything is
being installed.

Michael Ortega

"harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company just received new hardward for a custom application. The
> hardware
> is a standard PC but for a dedicated application. There are no PS/2 ports
> on
> the machine, only USB.
>
> The OS is configured to auto-logon to a specific user account that does
> not
> have Admin privileges (Power User). There is an HKLM autorun registry key
> that automatically executes the custom application during logon.
>
> Here's the problem. If the user plugs in a new USB Keyboard and/or mouse,
> the PnP manager attempts to install the new device(s) but the installation
> does not complete. In the case where there is a new keyboard and mouse
> (i.e.
> when the machine first boots out of the box) there is no keyboard/mouse
> I/O.
> The user is forced to do a hard reset of the machine.
>
> Once the machine reboots, everything works fine. This is hardly the user
> experience the company wants to provide. Elevating the auto-logon account
> an administrator is not an option. We tried that once and the user kept
> messing up the computer. Thanks.
>
> -harrier
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:13:46 PM

That's exactly the problem. Plugging devices in while the PC is off causes
the appearance of the system hanging. This is exactly the scenario users
will see after unwrapping the system and placing it through it's first boot.

OS image is applied via Norton Ghost, causing the PnP manager to detect
hardware. Many users have custom trackballs and wireless USB keyboards and
won't ever use the mouse and/or keyboard provided through Dell.

-harrier

"Michael Ortega" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why don't you have them plug in the new device while the computer is off?
> That way the wont have to do a hard reset and then wont see/know anything is
> being installed.
>
> Michael Ortega
>
> "harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My company just received new hardward for a custom application. The
> > hardware
> > is a standard PC but for a dedicated application. There are no PS/2 ports
> > on
> > the machine, only USB.
> >
> > The OS is configured to auto-logon to a specific user account that does
> > not
> > have Admin privileges (Power User). There is an HKLM autorun registry key
> > that automatically executes the custom application during logon.
> >
> > Here's the problem. If the user plugs in a new USB Keyboard and/or mouse,
> > the PnP manager attempts to install the new device(s) but the installation
> > does not complete. In the case where there is a new keyboard and mouse
> > (i.e.
> > when the machine first boots out of the box) there is no keyboard/mouse
> > I/O.
> > The user is forced to do a hard reset of the machine.
> >
> > Once the machine reboots, everything works fine. This is hardly the user
> > experience the company wants to provide. Elevating the auto-logon account
> > an administrator is not an option. We tried that once and the user kept
> > messing up the computer. Thanks.
> >
> > -harrier

October 5, 2004 11:30:17 PM

Hello

You have to roil out the computer to their desk right? The only way might be
to log on when you bring it to the desk with an admin account plug the stuff
in, then log off and leave. Unless you cant log on? or you don't bring it
to their desk?

> That's exactly the problem. Plugging devices in while the PC is off
> causes
> the appearance of the system hanging. This is exactly the scenario users
> will see after unwrapping the system and placing it through it's first
> boot.
>
> OS image is applied via Norton Ghost, causing the PnP manager to detect
> hardware. Many users have custom trackballs and wireless USB keyboards
> and
> won't ever use the mouse and/or keyboard provided through Dell.
>
> -harrier
>
> "Michael Ortega" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Why don't you have them plug in the new device while the computer is off?
>> That way the wont have to do a hard reset and then wont see/know anything
>> is
>> being installed.
>>
>> Michael Ortega
>>
>> "harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My company just received new hardward for a custom application. The
>> > hardware
>> > is a standard PC but for a dedicated application. There are no PS/2
>> > ports
>> > on
>> > the machine, only USB.
>> >
>> > The OS is configured to auto-logon to a specific user account that does
>> > not
>> > have Admin privileges (Power User). There is an HKLM autorun registry
>> > key
>> > that automatically executes the custom application during logon.
>> >
>> > Here's the problem. If the user plugs in a new USB Keyboard and/or
>> > mouse,
>> > the PnP manager attempts to install the new device(s) but the
>> > installation
>> > does not complete. In the case where there is a new keyboard and mouse
>> > (i.e.
>> > when the machine first boots out of the box) there is no keyboard/mouse
>> > I/O.
>> > The user is forced to do a hard reset of the machine.
>> >
>> > Once the machine reboots, everything works fine. This is hardly the
>> > user
>> > experience the company wants to provide. Elevating the auto-logon
>> > account
>> > an administrator is not an option. We tried that once and the user
>> > kept
>> > messing up the computer. Thanks.
>> >
>> > -harrier

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:30:18 PM

Nope. OEM.

"Michael Ortega" wrote:

> Hello
>
> You have to roil out the computer to their desk right? The only way might be
> to log on when you bring it to the desk with an admin account plug the stuff
> in, then log off and leave. Unless you cant log on? or you don't bring it
> to their desk?
>
> Michael Ortega
>
> "harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's exactly the problem. Plugging devices in while the PC is off
> > causes
> > the appearance of the system hanging. This is exactly the scenario users
> > will see after unwrapping the system and placing it through it's first
> > boot.
> >
> > OS image is applied via Norton Ghost, causing the PnP manager to detect
> > hardware. Many users have custom trackballs and wireless USB keyboards
> > and
> > won't ever use the mouse and/or keyboard provided through Dell.
> >
> > -harrier
> >
> > "Michael Ortega" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Why don't you have them plug in the new device while the computer is off?
> >> That way the wont have to do a hard reset and then wont see/know anything
> >> is
> >> being installed.
> >>
> >> Michael Ortega
> >>
> >> "harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 12:51:34 AM

Hello,

I'm at a loss I'm not sure what to do.... Sorry I couldn't help, hopefully
someone else will be able to

> Nope. OEM.
>
> "Michael Ortega" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> You have to roil out the computer to their desk right? The only way might
>> be
>> to log on when you bring it to the desk with an admin account plug the
>> stuff
>> in, then log off and leave. Unless you cant log on? or you don't bring
>> it
>> to their desk?
>>
>> Michael Ortega
>>
>> "harrier" <harrier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That's exactly the problem. Plugging devices in while the PC is off
>> > causes
>> > the appearance of the system hanging. This is exactly the scenario
>> > users
>> > will see after unwrapping the system and placing it through it's first
>> > boot.
>> >
>> > OS image is applied via Norton Ghost, causing the PnP manager to detect
>> > hardware. Many users have custom trackballs and wireless USB keyboards
>> > and
>> > won't ever use the mouse and/or keyboard provided through Dell.
>> >
>> > -harrier

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 12:18:55 PM

If this is a complete custom job then find out what the "customer" is
going to be plugging into the ports. That way you can preconfigure it.

!