western digital with sp2

is anybody having problems with there western digital
with xp service pack 2
4 answers Last reply
More about western digital

    What kind of problems do you have?

    "daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > is anybody having problems with there western digital
    > with xp service pack 2

    my hard drive crashed and it is less than a year old and
    i heard from other people that are having this problem

    I have heard about problems with Western Digital, but nothing too specific..
    I had a problem with a couple of Maxtor drives crashing out way before they
    were a year old.. it happens..

    What you should do first is download the HDD utilities from the Western
    Digital website..

    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

    Download the Diagnostic Utilities and follow instructions re. installing
    onto a diskette.. then run them..

    What I did with my Maxtors was to test them with similar utilities, low
    level format (write zeros) to each of them, and then start over.. they have
    been ok ever since.. something that I did notice at the time of failure was
    their tendency to run hot.. I had them both mounted close together, and have
    no doubt that excessive heat played its part in the crashes.. you may want
    to look at positioning and general cooling in your system..

    I also run a program called Motherboard Monitor.. I do not think that it is
    always too accurate, but it does warn of sudden temperature change within
    the case..

    If the drive tests out as being ok, you can contact WD and insist that they
    change it, or you can purchase another drive and keep the old one installed
    as a slave to use for backup stuff.. drives used as slaves are not under
    anything like the pressure that a boot drive takes, so would be ideal..

    Repost back here with results..

    Good luck

    > my hard drive crashed and it is less than a year old and
    > i heard from other people that are having this problem

    If you had a hard disk drive failure, there is no way that it was caused by
    installing SP2. Software doesn't break hardware.
    "daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    is anybody having problems with there western digital
    with xp service pack 2

Hardware Western Digital Microsoft Windows XP