Help! K7S5A and Sempron 2600+

I’ve got a K7S5A rev 1.x (XP compatible) which I recently had to
upgrade the CPU on in a hurry. The first CPU I could get hold of was a
Sempron 2600+ which I’ve installed and it actually works fine. My
question is, since the BIOS shows the CPU on POST as being an Athlon
XP 1700 and the FSB only goes as high as 133, how can I be sure I’m
getting the maximum performance I can from this combination? Is there
anything I should do or know about? All help is much appreciated!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-Help-K7S5A-Sempron-2600-ftopict53448.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=264901

With that motherboard, the sempron is gonna remain underclocked. It
prefers motherboards that use the 333 mhz bus, and your motherboard can
only do 266 mhz, or 133mhz, which is the same thing. 133 times 2 cycles
per clock is 266 mhz.

electranaut (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
: I’ve got a K7S5A rev 1.x (XP compatible) which I recently had to
: upgrade the CPU on in a hurry. The first CPU I could get hold of was a
: Sempron 2600+ which I’ve installed and it actually works fine. My
: question is, since the BIOS shows the CPU on POST as being an Athlon
: XP 1700 and the FSB only goes as high as 133, how can I be sure I’m
: getting the maximum performance I can from this combination? Is there
: anything I should do or know about? All help is much appreciated!

: --
: Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
: Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards

"Brian Campbell" wrote:
> With that motherboard, the sempron is gonna remain
> underclocked. It
> prefers motherboards that use the 333 mhz bus, and your
> motherboard can
> only do 266 mhz, or 133mhz, which is the same thing. 133 times
> 2 cycles
> per clock is 266 mhz.
>
> electranaut (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
> : I’ve got a K7S5A rev 1.x (XP compatible) which I recently
> had to
> : upgrade the CPU on in a hurry. The first CPU I could get
> hold of was a
> : Sempron 2600+ which I’ve installed and it actually works
> fine. My
> : question is, since the BIOS shows the CPU on POST as being
> an Athlon
> : XP 1700 and the FSB only goes as high as 133, how can I be
> sure I’m
> : getting the maximum performance I can from this combination?
> Is there
> : anything I should do or know about? All help is much
> appreciated!
>
> : --
> : Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> : Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-Help-K7S5A-Sempron-2600-ftopict53448.html
> : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=264901

Thanks for replying. I’ve actually been looking into this quite a bit
and I’ve now settled for running it at 150 FSB through the Honey X
BIOS. CrystalCPUID reports it’s running around 10% underclocked so
I’ll be happy enough with that until I get a new motherboard.

Cheers!

http://www.usenet.com

On 27 Apr 2005 18:29:43 -0500 If I have seen farther it is because I
have stood on the shoulder of giants electranaut
<DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote :

>"Brian Campbell" wrote:
> > With that motherboard, the sempron is gonna remain
> > underclocked. It
> > prefers motherboards that use the 333 mhz bus, and your
> > motherboard can
> > only do 266 mhz, or 133mhz, which is the same thing. 133 times
> > 2 cycles
> > per clock is 266 mhz.
> >
> > electranaut (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
> > : I’ve got a K7S5A rev 1.x (XP compatible) which I recently
> > had to
> > : upgrade the CPU on in a hurry. The first CPU I could get
> > hold of was a
> > : Sempron 2600+ which I’ve installed and it actually works
> > fine. My
> > : question is, since the BIOS shows the CPU on POST as being
> > an Athlon
> > : XP 1700 and the FSB only goes as high as 133, how can I be
> > sure I’m
> > : getting the maximum performance I can from this combination?
> > Is there
> > : anything I should do or know about? All help is much
> > appreciated!
> >
> > : --
> > : Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > : Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-Help-K7S5A-Sempron-2600-ftopict53448.html
> > : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=264901
>
>Thanks for replying. I’ve actually been looking into this quite a bit
>and I’ve now settled for running it at 150 FSB through the Honey X
>BIOS. CrystalCPUID reports it’s running around 10% underclocked so
>I’ll be happy enough with that until I get a new motherboard.
>
>Cheers!

You ain't losing much anyway.The Honey X BIOS was always good and your
CPU being under-stressed means it will be cruising through most
operations without you knowing it :p
Top-speed ain't always,"Best" speed :)

PS
You can slow down,"ANY" CPU by lack of knowledge,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
Me I'm always speedy ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

> electranautwrote:
I’ve got a K7S5A rev 1.x (XP compatible) which I recently had to
> upgrade the CPU on in a hurry. The first CPU I could get hold of was
> Sempron 2600+ which I’ve installed and it actually works fine. My
> question is, since the BIOS shows the CPU on POST as being an
Athlon
> XP 1700 and the FSB only goes as high as 133, how can I be sure I’m
> getting the maximum performance I can from this combination? Is
there
> anything I should do or know about? All help is much appreciated!

I'm currently thinking of buting a new processor for my K7S5A too. I'm
using a Duron at 1.1 Ghz. What is the best processor I can buy for
this motherboard ? I know that a Sempron will run underclocked due to
the motherboard's FSB. However, will a Sempron run faster than a XP
2400+ ?

I read on http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t40888.html :

" Some helpfull hints...I'm a K7S5A owner too!
Best bang for your buck is the XP2400+ or an XP-M 2600+ to XP-M3000+
"

What do you think of this ?

If I buy a Sempron, will I have to upgrade my BIOS using an unofficial
image ?

Btw, is a PC3200 512MB DDR module compatible with this motherboard ?

Thanks.