DVD-ROM Drive Forgets Its Drive Letter Allocation

I have a combo CD-RW / DVD-ROM drive installed on my PC. This drive is
classified as CD-ROM 1 by Windows XP. Every time the PC reboots it forgets
the drive letter allocated to it. When I go to the Disk Management
application I can assign a drive letter to and it works OK.

Can anyone let me know how to permanantly assign a drive letter to CD-ROM 1?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

--
Regards,
Steve

Try uninstalling the device from Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc)
and reboot. Then right click on My Computer, click Manamge, click Disk
Management and assign the drive a letter. Now see if the drive works
properly. If not, check out this link (especially the part of my burner
is not recognized as a writer):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

-----
Nathan McNulty