Scanner does not appear under 'My Computer' (CanoScan LiDE..

My CanoScan LiDE20 works perfectly on all of my other
Windows XP Professional installations, but it will not
show the icon under 'My Computer' with my laptop. I
recently did a clean install of Windows XP Professional
with Service Pack 2 fully integrated. All hardware was
working flawlessly with drivers that were provided either
by Windows or Windows Update. The scanner was the first
and only device that required me to visit the
manufacturer's Web site (Canon). Rather than running the
self-extracting executable, I extracted it using another
application (WinRAR). Windows found the extracted driver
files and told me that the scanner was "installed and
ready to use". The 'Scanners and Cameras' item on the
Control Panel reports that the scanner is fine. However,
there is still no way to acquire images because the
scanner's item never appeared under 'My Computer', even
after a full system restart.

I downloaded and ran "DelDrv", a driver-removal utility
from Canon made specifically for their own scanner
drivers. It seemed to work perfectly because Windows
finally began asking for drivers again the next time I
reconnected the device. I ran the driver installation
normally, which didn't seem to do anything other than
extracting itself. I allowed the New Hardware dialog to
search and it found the freshly-extracted drivers and
completed the installation.

I still do not have the item under 'My Computer'. Please
help me fix Windows so that I can acquire images without
third-party software!
5 answers Last reply
More about scanner computer canoscan lide

    It's not supposed to show up under My Computer. To Scan, simple open a
    graphics application like Paint and select Acquire from Sanner.

    Or use the Canon ScanGear Toolbox.
    www.coribright.com

    "Ichinisan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My CanoScan LiDE20 works perfectly on all of my other
    > Windows XP Professional installations, but it will not
    > show the icon under 'My Computer' with my laptop. I
    > recently did a clean install of Windows XP Professional
    > with Service Pack 2 fully integrated. All hardware was
    > working flawlessly with drivers that were provided either
    > by Windows or Windows Update. The scanner was the first
    > and only device that required me to visit the
    > manufacturer's Web site (Canon). Rather than running the
    > self-extracting executable, I extracted it using another
    > application (WinRAR). Windows found the extracted driver
    > files and told me that the scanner was "installed and
    > ready to use". The 'Scanners and Cameras' item on the
    > Control Panel reports that the scanner is fine. However,
    > there is still no way to acquire images because the
    > scanner's item never appeared under 'My Computer', even
    > after a full system restart.
    >
    > I downloaded and ran "DelDrv", a driver-removal utility
    > from Canon made specifically for their own scanner
    > drivers. It seemed to work perfectly because Windows
    > finally began asking for drivers again the next time I
    > reconnected the device. I ran the driver installation
    > normally, which didn't seem to do anything other than
    > extracting itself. I allowed the New Hardware dialog to
    > search and it found the freshly-extracted drivers and
    > completed the installation.
    >
    > I still do not have the item under 'My Computer'. Please
    > help me fix Windows so that I can acquire images without
    > third-party software!

    That is incorrect. In Windows XP, 'My Computer' is the
    user's window into their system hardware. When you double-
    click the item representing the scanner, a dialog appears
    allowing you to choose an application to use for
    acquiring an image from the scanner. The first choice is
    supposed to be the Windows XP "Scanner and Camera
    Wizard", unless otherwise configured by the user. This is
    how it was for this scanner and my other scanner on all
    of my Windows XP computers. Drivers that were not
    specifically made for Windows XP *may* not do this, but
    it should certainly appear if Windows recognizes the
    scanner as an imaging device and shows it in the Control
    Panel applet.

    Also, the option is disabled inside Microsoft Paint and
    other imaging applications because Windows does not
    report an available imaging device. This option is
    probably controlled by the same setting that controls the
    appearance of the device under 'My Computer'.

    Please help!

    Let's start from the beginning. Does it appear in Device Manager?

    > Also, the option is disabled inside Microsoft Paint and
    > other imaging applications because Windows does not
    > report an available imaging device. This option is
    > probably controlled by the same setting that controls the
    > appearance of the device under 'My Computer'.
    >
    > Please help!

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:12:24 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
    <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

    >Let's start from the beginning. Does it appear in Device Manager?

    Canon LIDE (I use a LIDE 35) should appear under 'Imaging Devices' in
    Device Manager. It should also appear in Scanners and Cameras control
    panel as well.

    The Software should be installed BEFORE connecting it to your computer
    otherwise it may not work afterwards. Use the Canon's software to
    install it do not install it manually.

    Peter Hutchison

Computers Scanners Windows XP