Can a Linksys WRT54G Router be used as access point with n..

Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix the
internet not being seen.

Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an access
point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is no
internet connection around.

My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's uses,
bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for internet
connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?

However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to the
same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.

I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so, but that
is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

mark

In a word, YES. ;-)

try here:
www.linksysinfo.org

<reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix the
> internet not being seen.
>
> Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an access
> point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is no
> internet connection around.
>
> My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's uses,
> bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for
> internet
> connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?
>
> However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to the
> same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.
>
> I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so, but
> that
> is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

How about some search hints? Nice site, but haven't gotten anywhere yet.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:45:42 -0500, "Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote:

|In a word, YES. ;-)
|
|try here:
|www.linksysinfo.org
|

|<reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
|> Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix the
|> internet not being seen.
|>
|> Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an access
|> point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is no
|> internet connection around.
|>
|> My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's uses,
|> bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for
|> internet
|> connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?
|>
|> However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to the
|> same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.
|>
|> I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so, but
|> that
|> is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

You can do it provided you configure the Router to work as an Access Point
with a switch.

You need to switch off the DHCP and configure the Router’s IP to match your
Network IP range.

More instructions here, the page was written for another purpose but you can
extract the principles: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In a word, YES. ;-)
>
> try here:
> www.linksysinfo.org
>

> <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> > Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix
the
> > internet not being seen.
> >
> > Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an
access
> > point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is
no
> > internet connection around.
> >
> > My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's
uses,
> > bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for
> > internet
> > connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?
> >
> > However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to
the
> > same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.
> >
> > I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so,
but
> > that
> > is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

Configuring requires that it first be installed. It is that first install
that's the problem, for the installation from the CD will not proceed without
finding an internet connection.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:55:11 -0500, "Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote:

|Hi
|
|You can do it provided you configure the Router to work as an Access Point
|with a switch.
|
|You need to switch off the DHCP and configure the Router"s IP to match your
|Network IP range.
|
|More instructions here, the page was written for another purpose but you can
|extract the principles: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
|
|Jack (MVP-Networking).

|"Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote in message
|> In a word, YES. ;-)
|>
|> try here:
|> www.linksysinfo.org
|>

|> <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
|> > Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix
|the
|> > internet not being seen.
|> >
|> > Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an
|access
|> > point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is
|no
|> > internet connection around.
|> >
|> > My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's
|uses,
|> > bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for
|> > internet
|> > connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?
|> >
|> > However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to
|the
|> > same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.
|> >
|> > I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so,
|but
|> > that
|> > is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

mark

Search the forums for apllicable terms.
> How about some search hints? Nice site, but haven't gotten anywhere yet.
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:45:42 -0500, "Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> |In a word, YES. ;-)
> |
> |try here:
> |www.linksysinfo.org
> |

> |<reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> |> Support responded with nonsensical answers to this telling how to fix
> the
> |> internet not being seen.
> |>
> |> Is it possible to install a WRT54G Router on a LAN to simply be an
> access
> |> point for laptops with wifi to access the ethernet LAN -- when there is
> no
> |> internet connection around.
> |>
> |> My guess is that I misinterpreted some of the hype for one of it's
> uses,
> |> bought one on sale, but can't install because it keeps looking for
> |> internet
> |> connection. Maybe somebody has an installation trick to fool it?
> |>
> |> However, I'd like this confirmed by somebody, and lacking an answer to
> the
> |> same question to Linksys support, thought I'd try here.
> |>
> |> I know I can do it with Apple Airport Extreme base, and have done so,
> but
> |> that
> |> is much expensive and can't be controlled by any 98SE machines.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
None of the Entry Level Routers need an Internet connection for general
configuration.

Beside the Setup CD (which I deem as an evil solution to prevent/save people
from simple 10min. learning process), each Router has an HTTP access menu.

While the Router is connected to a computer and the computer is set to Auto
Obtain IP you start I.E. (aka the browser) and you type in the address bar
of the Router's Menu IP address (The IP number is in the User Guide and the
Manual).

Example of my Router: http://192.168.0.1 I type it to I.E. Bingo I get the
Router's Menu.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Configuring requires that it first be installed. It is that first install
> that's the problem, for the installation from the CD will not proceed
without
> finding an internet connection.
>
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:55:11 -0500, "Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> |Hi
> |
> |You can do it provided you configure the Router to work as an Access
Point
> |with a switch.
> |
> |You need to switch off the DHCP and configure the Router"s IP to match
your
> |Network IP range.
> |
> |More instructions here, the page was written for another purpose but you
can
> |extract the principles: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> |
> |Jack (MVP-Networking).
> |

> |"Mark" <pyedubois@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> |> In a word, YES. ;-)
> |>
> |> try here:
> |> www.linksysinfo.org
> |>

> |> <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> |the

> |access
> |no

> |uses,

> |the

> |but

Thank you very much for responding to the installation problem and teaching me
something quite useful. Exactly the information I needed.

Found the manual in PDF form on the CD, and found the password to start with
so am sure I'm on my way and can configure it off site. The installation CD
can join my other installation CDs which I try to avoid using also.