Pro OEM vs Pro Retail

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP Pro
install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP Pro
OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the
"slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both original
CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA,
are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one
new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?

Y.

PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
should be posted to?
10 answers Last reply
More about retail
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
    You needed to do both if you want to install both.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer
    >XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a
    >"generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
    >manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to the
    >both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear to be
    >the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA, are the
    >two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one new
    >CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?
    >

    > Y.
    >
    > PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this
    > question should be posted to?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can I
    not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
    Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
    different.

    Y.

    > OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
    > You needed to do both if you want to install both.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP
    >>Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP
    >>Pro OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have
    >>done the "slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both
    >>original CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY.
    >>Besides the EULA, are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten"
    >>away only doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of
    >>the two?
    >>

    >> Y.
    >>
    >> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
    >> should be posted to?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    No, because one is OEM and the other is retail.
    An OEM key will not work with retail and vice-versa.

    --

    >I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD.
    >Can I not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install
    >either OEM or Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd
    >is completely different.
    >
    > Y.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
    >> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two
    >>>newer XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and
    >>>a "generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
    >>>manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to
    >>>the both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear
    >>>to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA,
    >>>are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only
    >>>doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the
    >>>two?
    >>>

    >>> Y.
    >>>
    >>> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this
    >>> question should be posted to?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    wrote in news:eGiqt%23yqEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer
    > XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a
    > "generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
    > manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to the
    > both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear to be
    > the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA, are the
    > two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one new
    > CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?
    >
    > Y.
    >
    > PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
    > should be posted to?

    The OEM version won't do an upgrade. You have to do a full clean
    install when using the OEM version. The idea of using an OEM version is
    that there is nothing old (for OS and apps) on the computer where the
    OEM version gets installed so it always does a clean install. For the
    retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will do
    and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an upgrade.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an upgrade
    disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and proceed to install
    XP. At some point in the installation, you will be prompted to insert a
    qualifying Windows OS disk.

    JAX

    For the
    > retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will do and
    > if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an upgrade.
    >
    > --
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:14:45 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    It can be done but you have to alter the "setuppini" file before doing
    the slipstream. See this web site and the following article:

    http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

    >I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can I
    >not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
    >Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
    >different.
    >
    >Y.
    >
    >"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
    >> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP
    >>>Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP
    >>>Pro OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have
    >>>done the "slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both
    >>>original CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY.
    >>>Besides the EULA, are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten"
    >>>away only doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of
    >>>the two?
    >>>

    >>> Y.
    >>>
    >>> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
    >>> should be posted to?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thank you! At least someone was "reading" my post! I know that the CD KEYs
    are different between OEM, Retail and Volume Licensing versions.

    Y.

    "CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:14:45 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    > <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >
    > It can be done but you have to alter the "setuppini" file before doing
    > the slipstream. See this web site and the following article:
    >
    > http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html
    >
    >>I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can
    >>not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
    >>Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
    >>different.
    >>
    >>Y.
    >>
    >>"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >>> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
    >>> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>>

    >>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not>
    wrote in news:%23HhmQe1qEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an
    > upgrade disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and
    > proceed to install XP. At some point in the installation, you will be
    > prompted to insert a qualifying Windows OS disk.
    >
    > JAX
    >
    > For the
    >> retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will
    >> do and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an
    >> upgrade. --

    To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM version. The "full"
    install using the upgrade version requires that you provide the media
    for the old version (for which the upgrade will upgrade). Could be a
    prior install of the prior version. Could be just the install media for
    the prior version (whether there are any files on your hard drive or
    not). Since you cannot do a full install without something of the prior
    version when using the upgrade version then it isn't a full install but
    is still an upgrade. I never said anything about "clean" installs
    (which are different than a "full" and "upgrade" install since you can
    do clean installs for BOTH of those) for the *retail* versions.

    A full install can be performed on a clean drive. A full install can
    still also be performed atop an existing installation so it is NOT a
    clean install. An upgrade install can be performed atop an existing
    install. An upgrade install can also be performed on an unformatted
    hard drive (i.e., clean) but requires files for the prior version, like
    its install media. Don't confuse full or upgrade installs with clean
    installs.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Vanguardx" wrote "To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM
    version."

    Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. Many of the major manufacturers do, indeed,
    provide OEM upgrades for computers sold near (just before and just after)
    the release date of a new operating system.

    Example: I bought a laptop end of September 2001 which came pre-installed
    with Windows 2000 and a coupon for an upgrade to Windows XP Pro. In
    mid-December 2001 I was notified that the laptop drivers had been written,
    tested, and integrated into OEM Windows XP Pro, and that my disks had
    shipped.

    --
    steve

    nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
    remove _thenut_ to reach me

    "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not>
    > wrote in news:%23HhmQe1qEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
    > > That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an
    > > upgrade disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and
    > > proceed to install XP. At some point in the installation, you will be
    > > prompted to insert a qualifying Windows OS disk.
    > >
    > > JAX
    > >
    > > For the
    > >> retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will
    > >> do and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an
    > >> upgrade. --
    >
    > To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM version. The "full"
    > install using the upgrade version requires that you provide the media
    > for the old version (for which the upgrade will upgrade). Could be a
    > prior install of the prior version. Could be just the install media for
    > the prior version (whether there are any files on your hard drive or
    > not). Since you cannot do a full install without something of the prior
    > version when using the upgrade version then it isn't a full install but
    > is still an upgrade. I never said anything about "clean" installs
    > (which are different than a "full" and "upgrade" install since you can
    > do clean installs for BOTH of those) for the *retail* versions.
    >
    > A full install can be performed on a clean drive. A full install can
    > still also be performed atop an existing installation so it is NOT a
    > clean install. An upgrade install can be performed atop an existing
    > install. An upgrade install can also be performed on an unformatted
    > hard drive (i.e., clean) but requires files for the prior version, like
    > its install media. Don't confuse full or upgrade installs with clean
    > installs.

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The major manufacturers make a special branded OEM upgrade CD. You do/can
    not normally buy a OEM upgrade CD.

Windows XP Microsoft CD-Rom