Pro OEM vs Pro Retail

October 5, 2004 11:04:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP Pro
install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP Pro
OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the
"slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both original
CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA,
are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one
new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?

Y.

PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
should be posted to?

More about : pro oem pro retail

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
You needed to do both if you want to install both.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer
>XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a
>"generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
>manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to the
>both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear to be
>the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA, are the
>two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one new
>CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?
>

> Y.
>
> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this
> question should be posted to?

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 11:14:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can I
not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
different.

Y.

> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP
>>Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP
>>Pro OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have
>>done the "slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both
>>original CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY.
>>Besides the EULA, are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten"
>>away only doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of
>>the two?
>>

>> Y.
>>
>> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
>> should be posted to?

October 5, 2004 11:14:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

No, because one is OEM and the other is retail.
An OEM key will not work with retail and vice-versa.

--

>I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD.
>Can I not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install
>either OEM or Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd
>is completely different.
>
> Y.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
>> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two
>>>newer XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and
>>>a "generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
>>>manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to
>>>the both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear
>>>to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA,
>>>are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only
>>>doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the
>>>two?
>>>

>>> Y.
>>>
>>> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this
>>> question should be posted to?

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 1:48:06 AM

wrote in news:eGiqt%23yqEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
> I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer
> XP Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a
> "generic" XP Pro OEM (not locked to a specific
> manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have done the "slipstreaming" to the
> both version. Now, my question is: Both original CDs appear to be
> the same. Each has the original CD KEY. Besides the EULA, are the
> two versions the same? Could I have "gotten" away only doing one new
> CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of the two?
>
> Y.
>
> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
> should be posted to?

The OEM version won't do an upgrade. You have to do a full clean
install when using the OEM version. The idea of using an OEM version is
that there is nothing old (for OS and apps) on the computer where the
OEM version gets installed so it always does a clean install. For the
retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will do
and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an upgrade.

October 6, 2004 1:48:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an upgrade
disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and proceed to install
XP. At some point in the installation, you will be prompted to insert a
qualifying Windows OS disk.

JAX

For the
> retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will do and
> if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an upgrade.
>
> --
October 6, 2004 2:04:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:14:45 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:

It can be done but you have to alter the "setuppini" file before doing
the slipstream. See this web site and the following article:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

>I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can I
>not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
>Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
>different.
>
>Y.
>
>"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
>> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>>I am in the process of "slipstreaming" Service Pack 2 into two newer XP
>>>Pro install CD. I have both an original XP Pro Retail and a "generic" XP
>>>Pro OEM (not locked to a specific manufacturer/motherboard) CD. I have
>>>done the "slipstreaming" to the both version. Now, my question is: Both
>>>original CDs appear to be the same. Each has the original CD KEY.
>>>Besides the EULA, are the two versions the same? Could I have "gotten"
>>>away only doing one new CD with slipstreaming Service Pack 2, instead of
>>>the two?
>>>

>>> Y.
>>>
>>> PS: Sorry for the cross-post! Not sure which newsgroup this question
>>> should be posted to?

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 2:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thank you! At least someone was "reading" my post! I know that the CD KEYs
are different between OEM, Retail and Volume Licensing versions.

Y.

"CS" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:14:45 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
> <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> It can be done but you have to alter the "setuppini" file before doing
> the slipstream. See this web site and the following article:
>
> http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html
>
>>I know that the Keys are different. I talking about the install CD. Can
>>not have one new "slipstreamed" CD that I can use to install either OEM or
>>Retail. I know that the OLP version of the install Cd is completely
>>different.
>>
>>Y.
>>
>>"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>>> OEM and retail each have their own unique Product Key.
>>> You needed to do both if you want to install both.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>>

>>> "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 6:08:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not>
wrote in news:%23HhmQe1qEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
> That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an
> upgrade disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and
> proceed to install XP. At some point in the installation, you will be
> prompted to insert a qualifying Windows OS disk.
>
> JAX
>
> For the
>> retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will
>> do and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an
>> upgrade. --

To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM version. The "full"
install using the upgrade version requires that you provide the media
for the old version (for which the upgrade will upgrade). Could be a
prior install of the prior version. Could be just the install media for
the prior version (whether there are any files on your hard drive or
not). Since you cannot do a full install without something of the prior
version when using the upgrade version then it isn't a full install but
is still an upgrade. I never said anything about "clean" installs
(which are different than a "full" and "upgrade" install since you can
do clean installs for BOTH of those) for the *retail* versions.

A full install can be performed on a clean drive. A full install can
still also be performed atop an existing installation so it is NOT a
clean install. An upgrade install can be performed atop an existing
install. An upgrade install can also be performed on an unformatted
hard drive (i.e., clean) but requires files for the prior version, like
its install media. Don't confuse full or upgrade installs with clean
installs.

October 6, 2004 9:53:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Vanguardx" wrote "To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM
version."

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. Many of the major manufacturers do, indeed,
provide OEM upgrades for computers sold near (just before and just after)
the release date of a new operating system.

Example: I bought a laptop end of September 2001 which came pre-installed
with Windows 2000 and a coupon for an upgrade to Windows XP Pro. In
mid-December 2001 I was notified that the laptop drivers had been written,
tested, and integrated into OEM Windows XP Pro, and that my disks had
shipped.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

"Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
news:o rW2Pf9qEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not>
> wrote in news:%23HhmQe1qEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
> > That information is incorrect! You can do a clean install from an
> > upgrade disk. All you have to do is boot from the upgrade CD and
> > proceed to install XP. At some point in the installation, you will be
> > prompted to insert a qualifying Windows OS disk.
> >
> > JAX
> >
> > For the
> >> retail version, if it is an upgrade version that that's all it will
> >> do and if it is a full version then it can do a full install or an
> >> upgrade. --
>
> To be an "upgrade" version means it is NOT and OEM version. The "full"
> install using the upgrade version requires that you provide the media
> for the old version (for which the upgrade will upgrade). Could be a
> prior install of the prior version. Could be just the install media for
> the prior version (whether there are any files on your hard drive or
> not). Since you cannot do a full install without something of the prior
> version when using the upgrade version then it isn't a full install but
> is still an upgrade. I never said anything about "clean" installs
> (which are different than a "full" and "upgrade" install since you can
> do clean installs for BOTH of those) for the *retail* versions.
>
> A full install can be performed on a clean drive. A full install can
> still also be performed atop an existing installation so it is NOT a
> clean install. An upgrade install can be performed atop an existing
> install. An upgrade install can also be performed on an unformatted
> hard drive (i.e., clean) but requires files for the prior version, like
> its install media. Don't confuse full or upgrade installs with clean
> installs.

> ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
> Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

October 11, 2004 2:17:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The major manufacturers make a special branded OEM upgrade CD. You do/can
not normally buy a OEM upgrade CD.