Files not visable after copying to CD

My mother-in-law is having problems with her CD-R. I am
trying to troubleshoot this long distance but having no
luck. She copies photos (using WIN-XP's copy) to the CD-R
and clicks the write to cd option to write them from the
temp files to the actual CD. She then clicks on the cd-
rom to view the pictures and there is nothing there, the
window is completly blank. She has sent me a couple of
the cd's that have this problem and my computer see's the
pictures without problems. She can read files on a
purchased CD without problems.

I am completely stumped as to how to get it working
again. after going through multiple pages of the
newsgroup I have tried the MS patch that fixes most of the
problems with CD-burning (no change) and I have also
tried to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters out of
some key in the registry, but they never existed in the
first place.

Help me Help her
6 answers Last reply
More about files visable copying

    "Chuck" <ChuckO.Rector@yellowcorp.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > My mother-in-law is having problems with her CD-R. I am
    > trying to troubleshoot this long distance but having no
    > luck. She copies photos (using WIN-XP's copy) to the CD-R
    > and clicks the write to cd option to write them from the
    > temp files to the actual CD. She then clicks on the cd-
    > rom to view the pictures and there is nothing there, the
    > window is completly blank. She has sent me a couple of
    > the cd's that have this problem and my computer see's the
    > pictures without problems. She can read files on a
    > purchased CD without problems.
    >
    > I am completely stumped as to how to get it working
    > again. after going through multiple pages of the
    > newsgroup I have tried the MS patch that fixes most of the
    > problems with CD-burning (no change) and I have also
    > tried to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters out of
    > some key in the registry, but they never existed in the
    > first place.
    >
    > Help me Help her

    Win xp copy is a inutility: user nero burning or some other EASY software
    with WIZARD

    Copying is not her problem, as I had said above the CD's
    are perfectly readable on another computer. It's the
    viewing of the files on her machine that doesn't work. I
    click on the CDRom in My Computer and I get no errors but
    the window is completely blank.
    I will have her try that and see if it makes a difference.
    At this point I am willing to try anything

    Ok She has already tried that, I guess a copy of Nero came
    packaged with the Nero software. Same results. Blank
    window.

    Try:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    No luck I tried everything in that knowledge base article
    with no change. One thing I did notice, was that even
    though I had her change the transfer mode to "DMA if
    available" after I had her reboot the "current transfer
    mode" was still PIO. I have went ahead and bought a new
    CD-R drive and sent it to her. That will either fix the
    problem or eliminate the hardware from the possible
    problems.

    Any other ideas???

    Chuck

    us;321641

    >-----
    >Nathan McNulty

    Have you tried reinstalling/updating the chipset (motherboard) drivers?
    I would look at that first, then double check the BIOS settings, then
    try removing the device from Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) and
    reboot. If none of that helps, post back :)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    chuck wrote:
    > No luck I tried everything in that knowledge base article
    > with no change. One thing I did notice, was that even
    > though I had her change the transfer mode to "DMA if
    > available" after I had her reboot the "current transfer
    > mode" was still PIO. I have went ahead and bought a new
    > CD-R drive and sent it to her. That will either fix the
    > problem or eliminate the hardware from the possible
    > problems.
    >
    > Any other ideas???
    >
    > Chuck

CD-Rom Windows XP