"Limited or no connectivity" error

I have tried to connect to my wireless network using Windows XP and a D-Link
DWL-520+ network card. Every time I try to connect I get an error stating
"Limited or no connectivity" "This problem occurred because the network did
not assign a network address to the computer� So it looks like the computer
took one which I know was not assigned by my router. It can't connect to the
internet or any other network resources through the wireless connection. The
computer is set up to obtain an IP address automatically and the router is
set up to act as a DHCP server on the network. Also this computer can
connect fine using a wired network. Another computer using the same network
card and Windows 2000 works fine. The router is a D-link 614+. Does anyone
know what to do to fix this? I am not really sure whether this is a problem
on the computer or the router. I also reset the router to the factory
default and tried to configure the network again but this computer still will
not connect.
7 answers Last reply
More about limited connectivity error

    If you take the network card out and place it in another system and
    everything works fine, then guess what?????? Its your system setup wrong
    somewhere.

    Ok lets see.
    1) Have you verified that in device manager says the device is working
    properly?
    2) Have you downloaded the latest greatest drivers from D-Link. Here is the
    Link:
    http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2D520%2B
    3) What version of XP are you running? Pro or Home? SP1 or SP2?
    4) Are you running a firewall? SP2 or a third party? If yes, have you
    disabled it? Some third party filewalls, especiall Norton, need to be
    uninstalled then reinstalled after you make the network connection. Why?
    Have no idea, but have had fits with them many times.
    5) Just to clarify, when you said you connected using a win2k machine using
    the same card, you are saing the same exact card, not just another card same
    model right?

    Ill get back to you when you get back to me.

    Robert....

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried to connect to my wireless network using Windows XP and a
    >D-Link
    > DWL-520+ network card. Every time I try to connect I get an error stating
    > "Limited or no connectivity" "This problem occurred because the network
    > did
    > not assign a network address to the computer" So it looks like the
    > computer
    > took one which I know was not assigned by my router. It can't connect to
    > the
    > internet or any other network resources through the wireless connection.
    > The
    > computer is set up to obtain an IP address automatically and the router is
    > set up to act as a DHCP server on the network. Also this computer can
    > connect fine using a wired network. Another computer using the same
    > network
    > card and Windows 2000 works fine. The router is a D-link 614+. Does
    > anyone
    > know what to do to fix this? I am not really sure whether this is a
    > problem
    > on the computer or the router. I also reset the router to the factory
    > default and tried to configure the network again but this computer still
    > will
    > not connect.

    1. Yes the device manager indicates the network card is working properly.
    2. Yes I am using the latest drivers installed from the package provided by
    dlink, I also tried the automatic driver installation provided through
    Windows Update.
    3. I am running XP Pro with SP2.
    4. The only firewall on it right now is the default setup that comes with SP2.
    5. The other computer has another card of the same model, it was not the
    same physical card.
    Actually this computer used to run Windows ME and the network card worked
    fine. It just doesn't work with WinXP. So it's almost certainly not a
    problem with the card itself, but rather a problem with software somewhere.
    This is why I suspect the operating system. I also tried disabling the
    option to use Windows to manage the card and instead I used the D-link card
    manager, however, Windows XP continues to do other setup that other versions
    of Windows do not appear to and I think that is part of the problem. The
    computer appears to connect to the card just fine from the D-link software
    (shows exactly what the other card on the Win2K computer shows) it just has
    the extra connection steps with XP that appear to break the setup. I also
    recently upgraded the firmware on the D-link router, however I don't think
    this is the problem because other computers work. I don't understand why the
    wireless card is unable to get an IP address while the ethernet card is able
    to. It appears everything is working properly other than the actual
    obtaining of an IP address.
    Michael

    "DLink Guru" wrote:

    > If you take the network card out and place it in another system and
    > everything works fine, then guess what?????? Its your system setup wrong
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Ok lets see.
    > 1) Have you verified that in device manager says the device is working
    > properly?
    > 2) Have you downloaded the latest greatest drivers from D-Link. Here is the
    > Link:
    > http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2D520%2B
    > 3) What version of XP are you running? Pro or Home? SP1 or SP2?
    > 4) Are you running a firewall? SP2 or a third party? If yes, have you
    > disabled it? Some third party filewalls, especiall Norton, need to be
    > uninstalled then reinstalled after you make the network connection. Why?
    > Have no idea, but have had fits with them many times.
    > 5) Just to clarify, when you said you connected using a win2k machine using
    > the same card, you are saing the same exact card, not just another card same
    > model right?
    >
    > Ill get back to you when you get back to me.
    >
    > Robert....
    >

    > "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have tried to connect to my wireless network using Windows XP and a
    > >D-Link
    > > DWL-520+ network card. Every time I try to connect I get an error stating
    > > "Limited or no connectivity" "This problem occurred because the network
    > > did
    > > not assign a network address to the computer" So it looks like the
    > > computer
    > > took one which I know was not assigned by my router. It can't connect to
    > > the
    > > internet or any other network resources through the wireless connection.
    > > The
    > > computer is set up to obtain an IP address automatically and the router is
    > > set up to act as a DHCP server on the network. Also this computer can
    > > connect fine using a wired network. Another computer using the same
    > > network
    > > card and Windows 2000 works fine. The router is a D-link 614+. Does
    > > anyone
    > > know what to do to fix this? I am not really sure whether this is a
    > > problem
    > > on the computer or the router. I also reset the router to the factory
    > > default and tried to configure the network again but this computer still
    > > will
    > > not connect.

    At question 2, you need to make sure your driver version is the most updated
    from the D-Link site. Windows Update will not always give you the most
    updated drivers on all products. The driver that comes with the product does
    not have to be the most updated either, even if you bought it yesterday.

    At Question 4, Have you disabled the Firewall and tried?

    At Question 5, that puts other options out there that were not clarified
    before.

    Have you enabled WEB or WAP on your router? If yes then disable them and see
    if it works without encryption enabled.

    Have you Enabled any MAC filtering or set a range of IPs to be used? If you
    have MAC filtering on then the DHCP server would be ignoring the new NIC. If
    you have set a range of IPs to use like 192.168.0.2 to 196.168.0.5 and are
    trying to connect a fifth machine the router will also ignore that.

    Ill think about this a bit more, let me know if any of that helped...

> [...]
    >> > took one which I know was not assigned by my router. It can't connect
    >> > the
    >> > internet or any other network resources through the wireless
    >> > connection.
    >> > The
    >> > computer is set up to obtain an IP address automatically and the router
    >> > is
    >> > set up to act as a DHCP server on the network. Also this computer can
    >> > connect fine using a wired network. Another computer using the same
    >> > network
    >> > card and Windows 2000 works fine. The router is a D-link 614+. Does
    >> > anyone
    >> > know what to do to fix this? I am not really sure whether this is a
    >> > problem
    >> > on the computer or the router. I also reset the router to the factory
    >> > default and tried to configure the network again but this computer

    Yes, I installed the most recent driver from the D-Link site (version 3.07)
    I tried it with and without the firewall it doesn't affect it.
    The router does have WEP enabled , disabling it doesn't make a difference.
    It appears to me that the card is connecting just fine, the computer just
    will not connect into the network and take an IP address. There is no MAC
    address filtering and the router is set to assign IP addresses 192.168.0.100
    through 192.168.0.199 so there should be no lack of IP addresses. The
    network has only 3 computers. As I look at the log on my router it shows
    that the wireless card is connecting. I also tried setting a static IP
    within Windows, but I get an error about not being able to clear the ARP
    Cache. I don't know what ARP Cache is so if someone could tell me that would
    be great. I also had that error once with the DHCP setup, however it did not
    repeat itself. It ususally just gives the error about not being able to
    renew the IP address.

    Ok, So it actually will connect when I set a static IP address in Windows, I
    don't really know why it didn't at first, but it connected while I left the
    computer for a few minutes.
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Michael

    Have you tried shutting down the computer.
    disconnect the router
    reset the modem
    when all diodes are lit
    connect the router
    wnen all dioes are lit
    start the computer.

    "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
    news: CCC9A017-4F17-47DF-829C-6339F4565949@microsoft.com...
    > Yes, I installed the most recent driver from the D-Link site (version
    > 3.07)
    > I tried it with and without the firewall it doesn't affect it.
    > The router does have WEP enabled , disabling it doesn't make a difference.
    > It appears to me that the card is connecting just fine, the computer just
    > will not connect into the network and take an IP address. There is no MAC
    > address filtering and the router is set to assign IP addresses
    > 192.168.0.100
    > through 192.168.0.199 so there should be no lack of IP addresses. The
    > network has only 3 computers. As I look at the log on my router it shows
    > that the wireless card is connecting. I also tried setting a static IP
    > within Windows, but I get an error about not being able to clear the ARP
    > Cache. I don't know what ARP Cache is so if someone could tell me that
    > would
    > be great. I also had that error once with the DHCP setup, however it did
    > not
    > repeat itself. It ususally just gives the error about not being able to
    > renew the IP address.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I've had similar issues but in reverse. In other words, I have a
    Windows XP Pro machine running SP2 and my wireless card works fine
    there. When I put the wireless card in my work laptop which is Windows
    2000 it connects to the network but does not pick up a valid IP. I'm
    at work typing this message so I don't know the exact models of DLink
    hardware I have other than it is 802.11g @ 54Mbps. Like Michael, I
    have downloaded the latest drivers from DLink's web site and even
    uninstalled and reinstalled to be sure. I do have WEP instituted and I
    have trying without it as well. I've even supplied my WEP key. I've
    also tried to assign an IP address when it recognizes the MAC address.

    The one question I have is, would DNS Suffixes cause any issues? I've
    tried removing them and it doesn't seem to help.

    Thanks!
    DJ

Connectivity Connection Computers Wireless Networking