K7S5A locking up.

paddy

Hi
I've done a google on this but didn't find much of use.
Almost 2 years old and until now trouble free. This a rev 3 board.
It has started locking up intermitently and only a restart will sort it.
It is not a software or hard drive issue as I have tried different hard
drives and OS but same problem. Unlikely to be memory as I am using
Crucial.
System - K7S5A mainboard, one 256 Crucial SDRAMM 133,
Voodoo 3 3dfx video card.
Doesn't seem to be a temperature issue as it is running at 40c cpu temp.
Could it have anything to do with cmos battery? Just a long shot.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

"Paddy" wrote in message news:6uEkXCCJWtrCFw$4@panton.demon.co.uk...
> Hi
> I've done a google on this but didn't find much of use.
> Almost 2 years old and until now trouble free. This a rev 3 board.
> It has started locking up intermitently and only a restart will sort it.
> It is not a software or hard drive issue as I have tried different hard
> drives and OS but same problem. Unlikely to be memory as I am using
> Crucial.
> System - K7S5A mainboard, one 256 Crucial SDRAMM 133,
> Voodoo 3 3dfx video card.
> Doesn't seem to be a temperature issue as it is running at 40c cpu temp.
> Could it have anything to do with cmos battery? Just a long shot.
> --
> Paul reply-to is valid

Don't post your real email addy in any newsgroup unless you want to receive a
lot of spam,
Spambots cab automatically pick it up and then the spam really starts.
Usually a bad cmos battery doesn't matter while the pc is running.
Then again, they only cost a few dollars at Wal-Mart, etc.
Will it lock up in SafeMode or DOS?
Have you changed any USB or keyboard or mouse or network card or modem just
before the problem started?
Things to try.
1)remove and reseat the ram
2)do a ram test (goggle for the memtest program)
3)Install the latest video drivers for your video card (also try removing and
reseating the vid card in its slot)
4)If your vid card has a fan, check to see if it is working? (many vid card fans
fail)
5)It could be your Power Supply Unit (check its fan also)
6)Look for a bulging or leaking capacitor
7)Clean out the dust bunnies

PS: When you get it working properly, please post back with the solution that
worked.
Buffalo

paddy

In message <epqdnSMyvLzFbzPfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, Buffalo
<eric@nada.com.invalid> writes

>"Paddy" wrote in message news:6uEkXCCJWtrCFw$4@panton.demon.co.uk...
Snip preamble
>> Could it have anything to do with cmos battery? Just a long shot.
>> --
>> Paul reply-to is valid

Snip useful advice on spam

>Usually a bad cmos battery doesn't matter while the pc is running.
>Then again, they only cost a few dollars at Wal-Mart, etc.
>Will it lock up in SafeMode or DOS?
>Have you changed any USB or keyboard or mouse or network card or modem just
>before the problem started?
>Things to try.
>1)remove and reseat the ram
>2)do a ram test (goggle for the memtest program)
>3)Install the latest video drivers for your video card (also try removing and
>reseating the vid card in its slot)
>4)If your vid card has a fan, check to see if it is working? (many vid
>card fans
>fail)
>5)It could be your Power Supply Unit (check its fan also)
>6)Look for a bulging or leaking capacitor
>7)Clean out the dust bunnies

Thanks for the tips, will give them a try.
>PS: When you get it working properly, please post back with the solution that
>worked.
>Buffalo

Will do.

Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:03:05 +0100, Paddy <paddy@panton.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Hi
>I've done a google on this but didn't find much of use.
>Almost 2 years old and until now trouble free. This a rev 3 board.
>It has started locking up intermitently and only a restart will sort it.
>It is not a software or hard drive issue as I have tried different hard
>drives and OS but same problem. Unlikely to be memory as I am using
>Crucial.
>System - K7S5A mainboard, one 256 Crucial SDRAMM 133,
>Voodoo 3 3dfx video card.
>Doesn't seem to be a temperature issue as it is running at 40c cpu temp.
>Could it have anything to do with cmos battery? Just a long shot.

Mine has failed twice in the last month. They have a reputation of
losing the CMOS so I went and replaced the motherboard battery and
reseated the cables and plug in stuff. Then it failed again a week
later.

I'm running it now and have my fingers crossed but it is running fine
right now for about 2 weeks.

I went and bought Fry's $99 linspire system as a backup for my
motherboard if It should fail completely. It is a SiS 900 system and
should be compatible with the K7S5A.

paddy

In message <a4ghb19f9qc9q3kk6q76kfg6nmmn4su57p@4ax.com>, JimL
<me@privacy.net> writes
>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:03:05 +0100, Paddy <paddy@panton.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>I've done a google on this but didn't find much of use.
>>Almost 2 years old and until now trouble free. This a rev 3 board.
>>It has started locking up intermitently and only a restart will sort it.
>>It is not a software or hard drive issue as I have tried different hard
>>drives and OS but same problem. Unlikely to be memory as I am using
>>Crucial.
>>System - K7S5A mainboard, one 256 Crucial SDRAMM 133,
>>Voodoo 3 3dfx video card.
>>Doesn't seem to be a temperature issue as it is running at 40c cpu temp.
>>Could it have anything to do with cmos battery? Just a long shot.
>
> Mine has failed twice in the last month. They have a reputation of
>losing the CMOS so I went and replaced the motherboard battery and
>reseated the cables and plug in stuff. Then it failed again a week
>later.
>
> I'm running it now and have my fingers crossed but it is running fine
>right now for about 2 weeks.
>
> I went and bought Fry's $99 linspire system as a backup for my
>motherboard if It should fail completely. It is a SiS 900 system and
>should be compatible with the K7S5A.

So it seems that the lock-ups are erratic and unpredictable. Bad news.
Hope you get your system stable.

Referring to my original post, I ran memtest, scandisk, double-checked
the CPU and case temps - all fine. Then I took the cover off the box and
it ran fine.
I noticed that the hard drives seemed hot to the touch. So I removed the
second hard drive which was mounted just half an inch above the main
drive.
I put the cover back on and it has run stable for a few days now. So it
seems to be a heat issue. I plan to test the main drive more thoroughly
with SMART and Maxtor test utility. It would be good to know exactly
what caused the lock-ups for future reference and general knowledge
base.
--
Paul reply-to is valid