new RAM old MOBO

hi all
this is my first post here and i am not a hardware guru so please
forgive me if this is a really dumb question
i have an old system AMD 1600+, on an ECS K7VTA2 motherboard. The
board supports RAM only uptill PC2100. I was lloking to buy more RAM
but the newer rams are mostly PC3200 and more. I want to know if i buy
the 3200 ram will it still run on the 2100 system, because they say
that DDR is back compatible. i thought if i buy the new ram i could
use it in a newer syatem later on
thanks
faddy

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-RAM-MOBO-ftopict58085.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293519

PC 3200 memory should work, but there is no guarantee the brand you buy
will work. I would make sure to buy the memory from someone with a good
return policy to cover your bases,

faddy (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
: hi all
: this is my first post here and i am not a hardware guru so please
: forgive me if this is a really dumb question
: i have an old system AMD 1600+, on an ECS K7VTA2 motherboard. The
: board supports RAM only uptill PC2100. I was lloking to buy more RAM
: but the newer rams are mostly PC3200 and more. I want to know if i buy
: the 3200 ram will it still run on the 2100 system, because they say
: that DDR is back compatible. i thought if i buy the new ram i could
: use it in a newer syatem later on
: thanks
: faddy

: --
: Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
: Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards

"" wrote:
> PC 3200 memory should work, but there is no guarantee the
> brand you buy
> will work. I would make sure to buy the memory from someone
> with a good
> return policy to cover your bases,
>
> faddy (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
> : hi all
> : this is my first post here and i am not a hardware guru so
> please
> : forgive me if this is a really dumb question
> : i have an old system AMD 1600+, on an ECS K7VTA2
> motherboard. The
> : board supports RAM only uptill PC2100. I was lloking to buy
> more RAM
> : but the newer rams are mostly PC3200 and more. I want to
> know if i buy
> : the 3200 ram will it still run on the 2100 system, because
> they say
> : that DDR is back compatible. i thought if i buy the new ram
> i could
> : use it in a newer syatem later on
> : thanks
> : faddy
>
> : --
> : Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> : Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-RAM-MOBO-ftopict58085.html
> : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293519

OK thanks
your help is much appreciated
thanks
faddy

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004

go to crucial.com and put in the modlel number for your motherboard. it
will tell you up to what memory speed it will support

I've bought RAM that didn't work in my PC2100 board, but it was
because of the density package of the RAM and not because it was
PC3200. PC2100 would not have worked either in my case.

Fortunately I had another computer that it worked in, so I just
swapped and they both now work.

The high density package RAM is not compatible with lots of boards
and that is why it sells cheaper than the low density. But most good
vendors will warn you of that.

On 2 Jul 2005 00:36:05 -0400, faddy <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
wrote:

>"" wrote:
> > PC 3200 memory should work, but there is no guarantee the
> > brand you buy
> > will work. I would make sure to buy the memory from someone
> > with a good
> > return policy to cover your bases,
> >
> > faddy (UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com) wrote:
> > : hi all
> > : this is my first post here and i am not a hardware guru so
> > please
> > : forgive me if this is a really dumb question
> > : i have an old system AMD 1600+, on an ECS K7VTA2
> > motherboard. The
> > : board supports RAM only uptill PC2100. I was lloking to buy
> > more RAM
> > : but the newer rams are mostly PC3200 and more. I want to
> > know if i buy
> > : the 3200 ram will it still run on the 2100 system, because
> > they say
> > : that DDR is back compatible. i thought if i buy the new ram
> > i could
> > : use it in a newer syatem later on
> > : thanks
> > : faddy
> >
> > : --
> > : Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > : Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Elitegroup-RAM-MOBO-ftopict58085.html
> > : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293519
>
>OK thanks
>your help is much appreciated
>thanks
>faddy

On 28 Jun 2005 01:36:15 -0400, faddy
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>this is my first post here and i am not a hardware guru so please
>forgive me if this is a really dumb question
>i have an old system AMD 1600+, on an ECS K7VTA2 motherboard. The

For some of us that's a current system |-)

>board supports RAM only uptill PC2100. I was lloking to buy more RAM
>but the newer rams are mostly PC3200 and more. I want to know if i buy
>the 3200 ram will it still run on the 2100 system, because they say
>that DDR is back compatible. i thought if i buy the new ram i could
>use it in a newer syatem later on

As a rule you can use faster RAM, but the RAM you buy might not be
compatible with your mobo at any speed. If you do buy new RAM, I know
from experience that it's not very likely that you'll use it later on
in a new computer. Even if you do, you'll have to buy some more RAM
to be able to use your old computer.
Why not just go to a secondhand computer shop and buy some PC2100 RAM?
It's usually really cheap because of the falling cost of RAM.
Whichever RAM you buy, make sure that they'll exchange it for a
different brand or speed if it doesn't work in your computer.

Sig:
I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
-- Isaac Asimov

"" wrote:
> go to crucial.com and put in the modlel number for your
> motherboard. it
> will tell you up to what memory speed it will support

thankyou to everybody for their suggestion
you guy are really helpful.

i am grateful to everybody for their help
thankyou
bye

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301362