K7S5A Pro won't recognize Compact Flash cards

Hi All,

Built my wife a box with the above motherboard and XP Pro SP2 and
everything works fine except reading CF cards. She has a Nikon CoolPix
2100 and when we try to access it, it finds the camera, but won't
recognize ANY name brand CF card. Tried a card reader, and my CoolPix
885, but no luck with that either. Every other computer on my network
reads the cameras and the cards just fine.
I realize I could probably work around the problem by adding a USB PCI
card, but I'd really like to find out what the issue is considering
digital cameras and their storage devices are pretty standard stuff.
By the by, all the other USB devices work fine.

TIA,

Diogenes

RobM

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

i have that board with w2k pro sp4 and a lexar 2.0 card reader and it
reads {SD,CF,memory stick} formated {cheapo aiptek camera, cannon elph,
Pocket PC} with no problems also no problems with direct connect to cannon
elph 400 or cheapo camera

given that i would
1) suspect xp device drivers
2) check cmos usb settings (dos mode disable etc)
3) try using on-board USB ports (not mobo expansion ports) if you have not
done so.

*BUT* i have had USB problems with that board, mainly with mobo USB
expansion ports, such as lock up and BSOD problems with a USB zoom modem
where 1in 3 dialouts would cause crash. a powered hub helped *some* and
the on board built in ports seemed to function more reliably

hope this will give you some ideas
rob