real tek integrated sound

how is the quality of the on board realtek sound you find on ecs and other
mb compared to a sounblaster live sound card

thanks

vinny
2 answers Last reply
More about real integrated sound
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "vinny" <vinny0505@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > how is the quality of the on board realtek sound you find on ecs and other
    > mb compared to a sounblaster live sound card
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > vinny

    It depends on what you have in mind. The on board sound will provide
    adequate sound for most applications, but the SB Live! will be better in
    almost all respects, especially complex audio and MIDI.

    --
    Remove ".invalid" with ".com" to reply
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    If you use a mic for any applications, you will find the onboard sound
    chips are often times quite inferior compared to a separate sound
    card. The same is true for signal-to-noise (s/n) specs; onboard sound
    chips typically have inferior s/n ratios compared to separate sound
    boards. Even with a superior quality onboard sound chip (I have the
    Nvidia Nforce MCP-T chip in a couple of boards) and the primary
    problem with both mobos is the onboard sound mic circuit: it's noisy,
    and one channel has more noise than the other (not surprising
    considering the audio circuits are very near a lot of other digital
    circuits in the mobo). Further, using the onboard sound with another
    nforce2 based mobo I own, I noted that my attempts at recording audio
    from an external input produced a deformed waveform, with the results
    being unacceptable (the audio waveform was not symmetric from low to
    high peak signals, iow, the negative half of the wave did not have the
    same amplitude as the positive half of the waveform). After I
    installed my SBLive 5.1 board, the non-symmetric waveform recording
    problem vanished.

    All these complaints being said, if all you want is decent sound
    playback for gaming or non-critical audio applications, most onboard
    sound chips work decent, but they are not "top notch". I've also seen
    buggy drivers with onboard sound, well, this is also true with SB
    cards, lol, so try and find the latest drivers where possible.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle
    "vinny" <vinny0505@verizon.net> wrote in message
    | how is the quality of the on board realtek sound you find on ecs and
    other
    | mb compared to a sounblaster live sound card
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | vinny

Elitegroup Realtek ECS Motherboards