real tek integrated sound

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 3, 2005 10:17:02 AM

how is the quality of the on board realtek sound you find on ecs and other
mb compared to a sounblaster live sound card

thanks

vinny
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2005 3:39:23 AM

"vinny" <vinny0505@verizon.net> wrote in message
> how is the quality of the on board realtek sound you find on ecs and other
> mb compared to a sounblaster live sound card
>
> thanks
>
> vinny

It depends on what you have in mind. The on board sound will provide
adequate sound for most applications, but the SB Live! will be better in
almost all respects, especially complex audio and MIDI.

--
Remove ".invalid" with ".com" to reply
July 5, 2005 4:19:22 AM

If you use a mic for any applications, you will find the onboard sound
chips are often times quite inferior compared to a separate sound
card. The same is true for signal-to-noise (s/n) specs; onboard sound
chips typically have inferior s/n ratios compared to separate sound
boards. Even with a superior quality onboard sound chip (I have the
Nvidia Nforce MCP-T chip in a couple of boards) and the primary
problem with both mobos is the onboard sound mic circuit: it's noisy,
and one channel has more noise than the other (not surprising
considering the audio circuits are very near a lot of other digital
circuits in the mobo). Further, using the onboard sound with another
nforce2 based mobo I own, I noted that my attempts at recording audio
from an external input produced a deformed waveform, with the results
being unacceptable (the audio waveform was not symmetric from low to
high peak signals, iow, the negative half of the wave did not have the
same amplitude as the positive half of the waveform). After I
installed my SBLive 5.1 board, the non-symmetric waveform recording
problem vanished.

All these complaints being said, if all you want is decent sound
playback for gaming or non-critical audio applications, most onboard
sound chips work decent, but they are not "top notch". I've also seen
buggy drivers with onboard sound, well, this is also true with SB
cards, lol, so try and find the latest drivers where possible.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

!