K7S5A Pro Help

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I inherited this mobo+CPU and need to ask some questions please.

The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz 266 MHz FSB OEM, I believe.

That mobo can use DDR266 or PC133(sdram). It has two slots for each BUT it
can only be populated with SDRAM or DDR at any one time(not both), right?

For either RAM type is there dual banking(ie. is 2x256MB faster than
1x512MB)?

Which RAM type provides better performance in general Win XP usage(SDRAM or
DDR)? Is the difference large/significant or minor?

The K7S5A Pro manual/spec sheet specifies DDR266 HOWEVER current listings
like PriceWatch show DDR PC1600 to DDR PC5400. What is DDR266 equivalent
to??

Is this CPU+mobo combination easily overclockable? If yes does overclocking
affect RAM selection? Is an overclock special heatsink needed?

The specs say that this mobo uses a Realtek 8201 yet the Elite site seems
not to show a proper XP LAN driver. In fact the K7S5A Pro has no drivers at
all listed at the Elite site...only the K7S5A (non-Pro)versions are listed.
Where do I get the K7S5A Pro & Realtek 8201 drivers?

Any other gotchas with this mobo+CPU combination?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"

"fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
> I inherited this mobo+CPU and need to ask some questions please.
>
> The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
> Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz 266 MHz FSB OEM, I believe.
>
> That mobo can use DDR266 or PC133(sdram). It has two slots for each BUT
it
> can only be populated with SDRAM or DDR at any one time(not both), right?
Right!

> For either RAM type is there dual banking(ie. is 2x256MB faster than
> 1x512MB)?
No!

> Which RAM type provides better performance in general Win XP usage(SDRAM
or
> DDR)? Is the difference large/significant or minor?
DDR and YES.

> The K7S5A Pro manual/spec sheet specifies DDR266 HOWEVER current listings
> like PriceWatch show DDR PC1600 to DDR PC5400. What is DDR266 equivalent
> to??
Never mind what it's equivelant to. It's backwards compatible...so get some
PC3200 ( DDR400 ).

> Is this CPU+mobo combination easily overclockable? If yes does
overclocking
> affect RAM selection? Is an overclock special heatsink needed?
Overclocking depends on the CPU temp. you're getting without overclocking.
If you use DDR400 RAM, it will work with any overclock that you'll get with
this MB...if any.

> The specs say that this mobo uses a Realtek 8201 yet the Elite site seems
> not to show a proper XP LAN driver. In fact the K7S5A Pro has no drivers
at
> all listed at the Elite site...only the K7S5A (non-Pro)versions are
listed.
> Where do I get the K7S5A Pro & Realtek 8201 drivers?
The drivers may be included with Windows XP.

> Any other gotchas with this mobo+CPU combination?

fred

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Thanks so much.

"chris" <chrisNOTSPAM@NOYB.com> wrote in message

> "All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
> more ludicrous the analogy!"
>

> "fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
>> I inherited this mobo+CPU and need to ask some questions please.
>>
>> The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
>> Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz 266 MHz FSB OEM, I believe.
>>
>> That mobo can use DDR266 or PC133(sdram). It has two slots for each BUT
> it
>> can only be populated with SDRAM or DDR at any one time(not both),
>> right?
> Right!
>

>> For either RAM type is there dual banking(ie. is 2x256MB faster than
>> 1x512MB)?
> No!
>

>> Which RAM type provides better performance in general Win XP usage(SDRAM
> or
>> DDR)? Is the difference large/significant or minor?
> DDR and YES.
>>
>> The K7S5A Pro manual/spec sheet specifies DDR266 HOWEVER current
>> listings
>> like PriceWatch show DDR PC1600 to DDR PC5400. What is DDR266 equivalent
>> to??
> Never mind what it's equivelant to. It's backwards compatible...so get
> some
> PC3200 ( DDR400 ).
>

>> Is this CPU+mobo combination easily overclockable? If yes does
> overclocking
>> affect RAM selection? Is an overclock special heatsink needed?
> Overclocking depends on the CPU temp. you're getting without overclocking.
> If you use DDR400 RAM, it will work with any overclock that you'll get
> with
> this MB...if any.
>

>> The specs say that this mobo uses a Realtek 8201 yet the Elite site seems
>> not to show a proper XP LAN driver. In fact the K7S5A Pro has no drivers
> at
>> all listed at the Elite site...only the K7S5A (non-Pro)versions are
> listed.
>> Where do I get the K7S5A Pro & Realtek 8201 drivers?
> The drivers may be included with Windows XP.
>

>> Any other gotchas with this mobo+CPU combination?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

: The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
: Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz 266 MHz FSB OEM, I believe.

: That mobo can use DDR266 or PC133(sdram). It has two slots for each BUT it
: can only be populated with SDRAM or DDR at any one time(not both), right?

One of the other but not both.

: For either RAM type is there dual banking(ie. is 2x256MB faster than
: 1x512MB)?

No, there is speed difference

: Which RAM type provides better performance in general Win XP usage(SDRAM or
: DDR)? Is the difference large/significant or minor?

DDR on this board is faster, more stable and cheaper, so go that way

: The K7S5A Pro manual/spec sheet specifies DDR266 HOWEVER current listings
: like PriceWatch show DDR PC1600 to DDR PC5400. What is DDR266 equivalent
: to??

You can use DDR 400 memory clocked as DDR 266 on that board. that being
said, there are no guarantees. If you have the option of buying memory
from a local retailer with a sane return policy, that wouldbe the better
option.

: Is this CPU+mobo combination easily overclockable? If yes does overclocking
: affect RAM selection? Is an overclock special heatsink needed?

Don't bother. It can be done to an extent, but you are not gonna be
amazed at the result.

: The specs say that this mobo uses a Realtek 8201 yet the Elite site seems
: not to show a proper XP LAN driver. In fact the K7S5A Pro has no drivers at
: all listed at the Elite site...only the K7S5A (non-Pro)versions are listed.
: Where do I get the K7S5A Pro & Realtek 8201 drivers?

Xp has the drivers for the network already.

: Any other gotchas with this mobo+CPU combination?

Only one I had was with the video card. It looks like it is seated, when
it is not. and it takes a bit of pressure to get it seated. Your mileage
will vary, and we are always here! :)

"Brian Campbell" <aa356@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> You can use DDR 400 memory clocked as DDR 266 on that board. that being
> said, there are no guarantees. If you have the option of buying memory
> from a local retailer with a sane return policy, that wouldbe the better
> option.

You seem to be suggesting that there is some kind of stability or
compatibility issues here. Could you please elaborate.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 07:55:07 +0000, fred wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 03:26:39 +0000, fred wrote:
>>> The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
>>>
>> Yes, probably a Tbred A core (CPUID 680)
>
> Thanks, is that good/bad or what?

It's the original Tbred core and won't overclock much if at all. They made
some major changes and the newer Tbred B core will oveclock like crazy.
Approx max speed;
Palomino - 1800MHz
Tbred A - 1900MHz
Tbred B -2400MHz

> What is the equivalent CPU power of a P4 approximately?

2.2GHz, hence the 2200+ number. Athlon XP's/64's numbers compare to P4's.
Sempron numbers compare to the Celeron. See Sempron in my link. And your
board won't support it's 166MHz FSB.

>> If you have an A core
>
> How does one tell without powering? Any numbers on it that so indicate?

Don't think they made any 2200+ B cores with DKV. Most would be DUT or
DLT. If the date code is prior to 0247 it's also likely an A core. If it
is a B core the last character in the code in the 3rd line will end with a
B as in, AIUHB or JIUHB.

> Don't think they made any 2200+ B cores with DKV. Most would be DUT or
> DLT. If the date code is prior to 0247 it's also likely an A core. If it
> is a B core the last character in the code in the 3rd line will end with a
> B as in, AIUHB or JIUHB.

AIUGA so it must be A core.

Thanks.

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:51:15 +0000, fred wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> Don't think they made any 2200+ B cores with DKV. Most would be DUT or
>> DLT. If the date code is prior to 0247 it's also likely an A core. If it
>> is a B core the last character in the code in the 3rd line will end with a
>> B as in, AIUHB or JIUHB.
>
> AIUGA so it must be A core.

Yes, and I figured as much with the DKV. To be honest, I wouldn't even
mess with trying to overclock it. You won't even get close to a 10%
increase and it may cause you other problems in the long run.

> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:51:15 +0000, fred wrote:
>

>> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Don't think they made any 2200+ B cores with DKV. Most would be DUT or
>>> DLT. If the date code is prior to 0247 it's also likely an A core. If it
>>> is a B core the last character in the code in the 3rd line will end with
>>> B as in, AIUHB or JIUHB.
>>
>> AIUGA so it must be A core.
>>
> Yes, and I figured as much with the DKV. To be honest, I wouldn't even
> mess with trying to overclock it. You won't even get close to a 10%
> increase and it may cause you other problems in the long run.

Does the abandonment of overclocking change the RAM choice any? Is PC133 or
DDR PC1600 the better choice or is there little difference?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I had used 5 sticks of memory, most ddr333 or ddr400. Only one stick did
not work, so there is a good chance DDR400 will work, just that the
motherboard was not designed for it. then again, some newer boards don't
like certain brands of DDR400 memory either. I personnally think it is
worth trying.

--

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:51:15 +0000, fred wrote:
> >

> >> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

> >> AIUGA so it must be A core.
> >>
> > Yes, and I figured as much with the DKV. To be honest, I wouldn't even
> > mess with trying to overclock it. You won't even get close to a 10%
> > increase and it may cause you other problems in the long run.
>
> Does the abandonment of overclocking change the RAM choice any? Is PC133
or
> DDR PC1600 the better choice or is there little difference?

If you buy PC3200 memory with CAS3 like Crucial, it should run @ CAS2 @ the
speed you'll be running it at. Where I live, PC133 is more expensive and
the majority of benchmarks indicate that DDR memory is most definately
faster then PC133 RAM.

> I had used 5 sticks of memory, most ddr333 or ddr400. Only one stick did
> not work, so there is a good chance DDR400 will work, just that the
> motherboard was not designed for it. then again, some newer boards don't
> like certain brands of DDR400 memory either. I personnally think it is
> worth trying.

I assume DDR400 is normally referred to as DDR PC3200?

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:01:44 +0000, fred wrote:

> Does the abandonment of overclocking change the RAM choice any? Is PC133 or
> DDR PC1600 the better choice or is there little difference?

The best choice would be PC3200. It's rated for 200MHz (DDR400) and won't
cost much if any more than PC2100 (133MHz/DDR266) which is the minimum you
would want.

> "Brian Campbell" <aa356@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>
> > You can use DDR 400 memory clocked as DDR 266 on that board. that being
> > said, there are no guarantees. If you have the option of buying memory
> > from a local retailer with a sane return policy, that wouldbe the better
> > option.
>

> You seem to be suggesting that there is some kind of stability or
> compatibility issues here. Could you please elaborate.

Some users reported stability problems while using two sticks of SDram and that
it disappeared when they used two sticks of DDR instead.
Others, like myself, found that two sticks of SDram worked fine when you OC the
FSB to 138MHz using the HoneyX BIOS.
I do believe you can buy DDR 3200 ram cheaper than SDram anyways.
DDR is faster, but the noticeable difference while using your PC is said to not
be much.
Note, if you choose to buy SDram, do not get the cheaper high-density ram as it
may not work properly with that MB.
You should buy the low-density ram ( may be listed as 32x8).

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"fred" <fred@hotmaim.con> wrote in message
>I inherited this mobo+CPU and need to ask some questions please.
>
> The CPU is axda2200dkv3c :
> Athlon XP 2200 1.8GHz 266 MHz FSB OEM, I believe.
>
> That mobo can use DDR266 or PC133(sdram). It has two slots for each BUT
> it can only be populated with SDRAM or DDR at any one time(not both),
> right?

Correct.

> For either RAM type is there dual banking(ie. is 2x256MB faster than
> 1x512MB)?

The banking is pretty much dependant of the RAM modules. Double sided
modules have twice as many banks as single sided modules, generally. If you
meant dual-channel, then forget about it as your board does not have the
capability.

> Which RAM type provides better performance in general Win XP usage(SDRAM
> or DDR)? Is the difference large/significant or minor?
>
> The K7S5A Pro manual/spec sheet specifies DDR266 HOWEVER current listings
> like PriceWatch show DDR PC1600 to DDR PC5400. What is DDR266 equivalent
> to??

PC2100 but you should be able use PC3200 with out problems. It may be
cheaper to use PC3200 rather than PC2100 and if your BIOS has RAM timings
options, you may be able to use the quicker RAM timings that PC3200 can
offer at 133MHz compared to PC2100 RAM.

This old review http://www.techwatch.com.au/reviews/hardware/ecs_k7s5a/
showed DDR RAM to be faster than SD-RAM.

Since you mention WinXP later on, I would recommend that you start with at
least one 512MB RAM stick and go from there. XP is a memory hog so unless
you have a HD larger than 60GB, you would be better off using Win98 SE, if
you want to use Windows.

> Is this CPU+mobo combination easily overclockable? If yes does
> overclocking affect RAM selection? Is an overclock special heatsink
> needed?

At standard, the board does not overclock well. This link has lots of extra
info and may answer most of your questions
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2002/ecs/k7s5aguide/.

> The specs say that this mobo uses a Realtek 8201 yet the Elite site seems
> not to show a proper XP LAN driver. In fact the K7S5A Pro has no drivers
> at all listed at the Elite site...only the K7S5A (non-Pro)versions are
> listed. Where do I get the K7S5A Pro & Realtek 8201 drivers?

WinXP should use its default Realtek driver during install.

> Any other gotchas with this mobo+CPU combination?

The board is quite old so don't expect much on the overclocking front. If
you use a hacked BIOS that offers increase of FSB in 1MHz steps then I doubt
you will get the FSB much higher than about 147MHz unless you can increase
the voltage to the CPU.

Dave

chris wrote:

" If you buy PC3200 memory with CAS3 like Crucial, it should run @ CAS2
@ the speed you'll be running it at. "

I had a K7S5A Pro which I fitted with some CL2 PC2100. It wouldn't post
at CAS2, only CAS2.5. The general consensus at the K7S5A motherboard
forum was the same.

http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum