Which SD-RAMs for the blue (!) slots in ECS K7S5A Promothe..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup ECS K7S5A Pro rev5.0 working.
Everthing is fine. Now I wanted to extend the memory up to
768 MB and bought another 256 MB SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a 3rd and 4th slot in my K7S5A

When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that
they did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on the mobo.

Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?

Thomas
5 answers Last reply
More about which rams blue slots k7s5a promothe
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Thomas Stein" <tstein@email.com> wrote in message
    >I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup ECS K7S5A
    >Pro rev5.0 working.
    > Everthing is fine. Now I wanted to extend the memory up to
    > 768 MB and bought another 256 MB SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a
    > 3rd and 4th slot in my K7S5A
    >
    > When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that
    > they did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on the
    > mobo.
    >
    > Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?

    NOTE: This poster used the FollowUp-To header but *without* warning
    (i.e., the user is rude). Newsgroups was reinstated to their original
    list to include all groups to which the user posted except
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup was not defined on my newsgroups
    server.

    This mobo supports old and new memory modules (168-pin and 184-pin) but
    not together.

    RTFM
    http://snipurl.com/gk4c
    Read the note on page 2 about mixing memory types.

    You'll have to toss the old memory and buy new larger sticks.

    For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Thomas Stein" <tstein@email.com> wrote in message
    >I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup ECS K7S5A Pro
    >rev5.0 working.
    > Everthing is fine. Now I wanted to extend the memory up to
    > 768 MB and bought another 256 MB SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a 3rd
    > and 4th slot in my K7S5A
    >
    > When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that
    > they did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on the
    > mobo.
    >
    > Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?
    >
    > Thomas

    You're out of luck...

    The K7S5A has two SDR slots (single data rate such as your PC133s), and two
    DDR memory slots (for say PC2100).
    A total of four slots BUT you can only use SDR OR DDR slots - not both at
    the same time.

    So you can replace either of your 256MB PC133 SDR modules with a 512MB PC133
    SDR module.
    Or you can scrap your existing PC133s and upgrade to DDR modules.

    I recently had two 256MB PC133s on my K7S5A Pro, then upgraded to a single
    512MB DDR400 module.
    I paid £20 for the Samsung DDR400 module (used) and sold my two PC133s for
    £25 - so i upgraded and made a fiver!

    Martin
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Thomas Stein wrote:
    > I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup ECS K7S5A Pro rev5.0 working.
    > Everthing is fine. Now I wanted to extend the memory up to
    > 768 MB and bought another 256 MB SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a 3rd and 4th slot in my K7S5A
    >
    > When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that
    > they did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on the mobo.
    >
    > Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?
    >
    > Thomas

    In addition to the fact that DDR memory would be used in the now vacant
    slots and the SD RAM removed as others mentioned, it is worth mentioning
    that this MB is particular about which chip configuration and speed of
    DDR is installed. You might investigate the success rate of what you
    are considering before purchasing it.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Thomas Stein wrote:

    > I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup
    > ECS K7S5A Pro rev5.0 working. Everthing is fine. Now I wanted
    > to extend the memory up to 768 MB and bought another 256 MB
    > SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a 3rd and 4th slot in my K7S5A
    >
    > When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that they
    > did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on
    > the mobo.
    >
    > Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?

    The blue slots are for PC2100 DDR SD-RAM modules, but I've been able to
    use PC2700 and PC3200 DDR SD-RAM modules as well. However with PC3200
    modules the mobo may not boot at all if you tell the BIOS to use the
    "safe default" settings, and to recover from that you'll probably have
    to reset the CMOS battery jumper.

    You may want to check www.salescircular.com for local bargains because
    512MB PC2100-PC3200 modules can now be found frequently for $20, after
    rebate. However that website often ignores Fry's (Outpost.com) ads.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "larry moe 'n curly" <larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > Thomas Stein wrote:
    >
    >> I already have two 256MB SD-RAMs in my motherboard Elitegroup
    >> ECS K7S5A Pro rev5.0 working. Everthing is fine. Now I wanted
    >> to extend the memory up to 768 MB and bought another 256 MB
    >> SD-RAM PC133 because I remembered a 3rd and 4th slot in my K7S5A
    >>
    >> When I tried to insert the RAMs I had to recognize that they
    >> did not fit. Their notches are at another place than those on
    >> the mobo.
    >>
    >> Which SD-RAMs do I need for the 3rd and 4th bank on the K7S5A Mobo?
    >
    > The blue slots are for PC2100 DDR SD-RAM modules, but I've been able to
    > use PC2700 and PC3200 DDR SD-RAM modules as well. However with PC3200
    > modules the mobo may not boot at all if you tell the BIOS to use the
    > "safe default" settings, and to recover from that you'll probably have
    > to reset the CMOS battery jumper.

    When i upgraded my K7S5A Pro to a single 512MB Samsung DDR400 it worked
    perfectly except for restarts.
    From cold my pc would boot and run fine, yet trying to restart it would
    fail.
    After the startup screen/BIOS info etc it'd just restart yet again before
    Windows loaded.
    Endlessly looping if left.
    If i shutdown and left the pc for a few mins then it'd boot up ok and be
    fine.

    Took me a little while to change the memory timing latency BIOS setting from
    SPD to 3T and then it was fixed - restarts each time now.
    I guess the Samsung module wasn't reporting a valid timing setting to the
    BIOS with the SPD setting and manually choosing 3T was all that was needed
    to fix it.

    (I'm not a performance merchant so i probably won't try 2.5T or even 2T for
    memory timing latency).

    Martin.

Elitegroup ECS Motherboards