cant detect file system?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

hi guys
i took a 80g seagate harddrive out of a different computer
and connected it to this one. im running win xp with NTFS
from a maxtor HD on this pc. The seagate harddrive is
formatted in FAT32.
-The newly connected drive now gets auto-detected and gets
assigned a drive letter etc, but it's file system, for some
reason is detected as being RAW. So whenever i try to get
into it, windows asks me if i want to format the drive
again. I've switched back and forth, and i know for sure
that the drive isnt corrupted as it still works fine on the
other pc.
-Any ideas how i can get XP to detect this drive's file
system as FAT32???

Anthony wrote:
> hi guys
> i took a 80g seagate harddrive out of a different computer
> and connected it to this one. im running win xp with NTFS
> from a maxtor HD on this pc. The seagate harddrive is
> formatted in FAT32.
> -The newly connected drive now gets auto-detected and gets
> assigned a drive letter etc, but it's file system, for some
> reason is detected as being RAW. So whenever i try to get
> into it, windows asks me if i want to format the drive
> again. I've switched back and forth, and i know for sure
> that the drive isnt corrupted as it still works fine on the
> other pc.
> -Any ideas how i can get XP to detect this drive's file
> system as FAT32???

If that HD was initialized on the other PC using drive overlay
software, then you may be out of luck. Drive overlay software
sometimes makes HDs non-portable.

When you plug the HD into your XP PC, make sure the HD's jumpers
are correct for the XP PC. Master/slave jumpers are common
sources of problems.

And, as Pegasus suggested, get into the BIOS of your XP PC and try
to sort the HD out there: specifically, let your BIOS auto-detect
the HD.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Anthony" <anthonyyak@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi guys
> i took a 80g seagate harddrive out of a different computer
> and connected it to this one. im running win xp with NTFS
> from a maxtor HD on this pc. The seagate harddrive is
> formatted in FAT32.
> -The newly connected drive now gets auto-detected and gets
> assigned a drive letter etc, but it's file system, for some
> reason is detected as being RAW. So whenever i try to get
> into it, windows asks me if i want to format the drive
> again. I've switched back and forth, and i know for sure
> that the drive isnt corrupted as it still works fine on the
> other pc.
> -Any ideas how i can get XP to detect this drive's file
> system as FAT32???

Your PC might use a different drive geometry than the one
where the disk came from. Get into the BIOS and try the
various options that are available.