8k7A Too Hot (Now shuts itself down)

Zypher

Well;

Now the little computer won't stay lit for much longer than 5 minutes. My
guess, the board or power supply has a problem causing the CPU to get too
hot.

I guess I'm on the hunt for a replacement board, memory, case with fan, etc.
Only problem I can see is my better half is in need of the computer right
away, and locally MSI is about the only choice. Arrrggghhh...!

--
Zyp

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
> "Zypher" <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have two. One 8K7A+ runs great! Something like 44ºC / 111ºF all day
> CPU
> > temps. It has a AMD Athalon 2000 Mhz.
> >
> > But I have another 8K7A - (no +) that runs a bit hotter. True it's in a
> > smaller case. True, it has no case fan. And the PSU is located right
> above
> > the CPU. I have a Turbo Cool CPU heatsink and fan. This one runs about
> > 137º F
> > and smells warm. Now this unit was running good last year if I
remember,
> > something like 120ºF max, but recently it's getting hotter? Any ideas
> why?
> >
> > BTW: No it's not overclocked. The CPU is an AMD Athlon 1100 Mhz. 100
> Mhz
> > buss.
> >
> > --
> > Zyp
> >

> You've answered your own question. Inadequate case ventilation. You *need*
> at least a case exhaust fan mounted rear-top to get the hot air coming off
> the HSF out of the case.

Hi Zypher

Yes as Peter mentioned try an extra fan.

"Zypher" <no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<0fCac.8969$Dv2.3162@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Well;
>
> Now the little computer won't stay lit for much longer than 5 minutes. My
> guess, the board or power supply has a problem causing the CPU to get too
> hot.
>
> I guess I'm on the hunt for a replacement board, memory, case with fan, etc.
> Only problem I can see is my better half is in need of the computer right
> away, and locally MSI is about the only choice. Arrrggghhh...!
>

> --
> Zyp

Zyp

Check that the chipset fansink is running and keeping the motherboard
chipset cool. Ensure the CPU fan is running at full RPM.

Visit the EPoX store: EPoXStore.com stocks all those hard to find
motherboard accessories... BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much
more! Also find wireless and bluetooth products.
http://www.epoxstore.com

Technical Support Department
EPoX International, Inc.
support@epox.com