M/board suggestions, please.

Hi.
Would anybody like to suggest a good rock-solid m/board for the new system I
am putting together.
Requirements:
To take AMD XP2400 processor with 266 MHz FSB.
To take 3 strips of 266 MHz PC2700 DDR RAM.
Don't need built-in sound or graphics - prefer quality over gizmos.
On-board LAN would be useful, or I'll use a separate card.
On-board SCSI would be a real bonus, but can use a PCI SCSI card instead.
No known problems with Matrox graphics cards.
No known issues with Windows 2000 and Linux.
No need for SATA or RAID. Standard IDE is fine.
Basically I just need something well-made and reliable, not fancy and
complicated, which won't let me down.
TIA,
Kevin.

michel

Kevin Lawton wrote:

> Hi.
> Would anybody like to suggest a good rock-solid m/board for the new system
> I am putting together.
> Requirements:
> To take AMD XP2400 processor with 266 MHz FSB.
> To take 3 strips of 266 MHz PC2700 DDR RAM.
> Don't need built-in sound or graphics - prefer quality over gizmos.
> On-board LAN would be useful, or I'll use a separate card.
> On-board SCSI would be a real bonus, but can use a PCI SCSI card instead.
> No known problems with Matrox graphics cards.
> No known issues with Windows 2000 and Linux.
> No need for SATA or RAID. Standard IDE is fine.
> Basically I just need something well-made and reliable, not fancy and
> complicated, which won't let me down.
> TIA,
> Kevin.
Maybe a kt600 or a kt400 chipset thats easier to install with linux.
that's working on most Linux systems out of the box.
With NForce you need more experience with Linux.
See www.nvidia.com Linux drivers

I have 8rda+ and there i had a lot of work to do to get the nforce2 chipset
working.

Al kt400/333/266/133 chipset boards works out of the box on all systems i
have\had.
Boards MSI 5169-kt7pro/kt7pro2/kt7pro266/kt7turbo2/kt4v
Epox 8KHA+/8K3a/8rda+
Asus A7v333
Tested videocards MatroxG400
Dualhead/Geforce2MX/GF3/GForceFx5200/Radeon8500LE

No problems with all these Socket A boards and ( one K6 board )

What about you're question about Matrox I had a Matrox Dualhead 32 MB on a
KT133 and i had never problems with linux with this card.

I'm using Linux for 6 years now

Michel

"Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<c4rv4h$dce$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> Hi.
> Would anybody like to suggest a good rock-solid m/board for the new system I
> am putting together.
> Requirements:
> To take AMD XP2400 processor with 266 MHz FSB.
> To take 3 strips of 266 MHz PC2700 DDR RAM.
> Don't need built-in sound or graphics - prefer quality over gizmos.
> On-board LAN would be useful, or I'll use a separate card.
> On-board SCSI would be a real bonus, but can use a PCI SCSI card instead.
> No known problems with Matrox graphics cards.
> No known issues with Windows 2000 and Linux.
> No need for SATA or RAID. Standard IDE is fine.
> Basically I just need something well-made and reliable, not fancy and
> complicated, which won't let me down.
> TIA,
> Kevin.

Kevin

I would suggest the EP-8RDA3I board.

http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?ID=EP-8RDA3I

"...take AMD XP2400 processor with 266 MHz FSB..." - Yes (400MHz FSB
max).
"...take 3 strips of 266 MHz PC2700 DDR RAM..." - Yes (PC3200 max).
"...Don't need built-in sound or graphics..." - Has only audio.
"...On-board LAN would be useful..." - Yes, has LAN.
"...On-board SCSI ..." - No SCSI.
"...No need for SATA or RAID..." - Has SATA

Technical Support Department
EPoX International, Inc.
support@epox.com
www.epox.com

Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard
accessories... BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more!
https://www.epoxstore.com