Icon.ink file visible in the Start Menu????

July 5, 2004 12:44:18 AM

How can I make the icon.ink file in my Games folder disappear?

It was hidden when I started but now it is visible.

I can delete it with explorer, but that makes the games folder icon revert
to a plain folder.

There must be a way to make it hidden.....

Any help?

ds
July 5, 2004 12:44:19 AM

In File Explorer, navigate to the Games folder, right-click and uncheck
"View All Files"

"David Smith" <dgsmith@bigblue.net.au> wrote in message
> How can I make the icon.ink file in my Games folder disappear?
>
> It was hidden when I started but now it is visible.
>
> I can delete it with explorer, but that makes the games folder icon revert
> to a plain folder.
>
> There must be a way to make it hidden.....
>
> Any help?
>
> ds

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 12:44:20 AM

I had the icon appear recently but when I click on it, I get an error
message that the file 'ceshell.dll-162' cannot be found. I did a search of
my files and no ceshell.dll can be found. Am I missing something?

"johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
> In File Explorer, navigate to the Games folder, right-click and uncheck
> "View All Files"
>
> "David Smith" <dgsmith@bigblue.net.au> wrote in message
> > How can I make the icon.ink file in my Games folder disappear?
> >
> > It was hidden when I started but now it is visible.
> >
> > I can delete it with explorer, but that makes the games folder icon
revert
> > to a plain folder.
> >
> > There must be a way to make it hidden.....
> >
> > Any help?
> >
> > ds

July 5, 2004 12:44:21 AM

Have you unhidden the hidden files? Once you've done this look in the
windows directory. the -162 is a pointer to a location but don't know if it
is formatted correctly or what the target is, my ppc seems to use a
different way to point to rom applications ( such as :MSPIE for Internet
Explorer )

"Shawn E. Hale" <LSHaleNOSPAM@erols.com> wrote in message
> I had the icon appear recently but when I click on it, I get an error
> message that the file 'ceshell.dll-162' cannot be found. I did a search
of
> my files and no ceshell.dll can be found. Am I missing something?
>
> "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
> > In File Explorer, navigate to the Games folder, right-click and uncheck
> > "View All Files"
> >
> > "David Smith" <dgsmith@bigblue.net.au> wrote in message
> > > How can I make the icon.ink file in my Games folder disappear?
> > >
> > > It was hidden when I started but now it is visible.
> > >
> > > I can delete it with explorer, but that makes the games folder icon
> revert
> > > to a plain folder.
> > >
> > > There must be a way to make it hidden.....
> > >
> > > Any help?
> > >
> > > ds

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 1:37:20 PM

Yes I unhid all files in File Explorer. Still no good. Found an old
posting in the Dell forums about renaming the gamesico.lnk to icon.lnk. Did
that, soft re-set, now I have the Games folder with the little cards icon on
it and the icon.lnk file is gone from the folder.

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have you unhidden the hidden files? Once you've done this look in the
> windows directory. the -162 is a pointer to a location but don't know if
it
> is formatted correctly or what the target is, my ppc seems to use a
> different way to point to rom applications ( such as :MSPIE for Internet
> Explorer )
>

> "Shawn E. Hale" <LSHaleNOSPAM@erols.com> wrote in message
> > I had the icon appear recently but when I click on it, I get an error
> > message that the file 'ceshell.dll-162' cannot be found. I did a search
> of
> > my files and no ceshell.dll can be found. Am I missing something?
> >
> > "johnm" <whatever@user.net> wrote in message
> > > In File Explorer, navigate to the Games folder, right-click and
uncheck
> > > "View All Files"
> > >
> > > "David Smith" <dgsmith@bigblue.net.au> wrote in message

> > revert

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 7:04:00 AM

Yeah, that's sort of a bug, the shell will show the icon.lnk files in
programs screens if you set the File Explorer to show hidden files, and the
trick is that even though File Explorer takes that setting into account
immediately, the shell itself will apply it on next soft reset only.

--
Philippe Majerus
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices (http://support.microsoft.com/support/mvp)

The soft reset seemd to work for me - a bit strange though
Thanks

ds

!