Passive cooling again...

Hi!

I'm wondering is it possible to remove noisy fan on chipset (Epox 8RDA3G)
and
repalce it with passive cooling - for example Zalman ZM-NB47J ?? Any tips?
Thanks!

Greetings!
--
Juzo < w_juzo@(antyspam)wp.pl >
Athlon 2000XP | 2x256 DDR (333) NoName |

    That's one of the reasons why I like the 8RDA+. It has a passive NB
    heatsink. I think the Zalman would be fine as long as you have sufficient
    case ventilation. A lot might depend on how high you have the FSB set.
    Another idea would be to replace the noisy fan with a quiet one. Sometimes
    retrofitting can be tedious. I did that with a video card using tie-wraps.
    Not the best looking solution but a very practical one.

    Dave

    "Wojtek" <w_juzoANTYSPAM@wp.pl> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm wondering is it possible to remove noisy fan on chipset (Epox 8RDA3G)
    > and
    > repalce it with passive cooling - for example Zalman ZM-NB47J ?? Any
    tips?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Greetings!
    > --
    > Juzo < w_juzo@(antyspam)wp.pl >
    > Athlon 2000XP | 2x256 DDR (333) NoName |
    > Epox 8RDA3G | Lite-ON 48x/12x/48x | Teac 40x |
    > GF4 Ti 4200 64MB Pixelview | Chieftec 420 W|

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    DaveL wrote:
    > That's one of the reasons why I like the 8RDA+. It has a passive NB
    > heatsink. I think the Zalman would be fine as long as you have
    > sufficient case ventilation. A lot might depend on how high you have
    > the FSB set. Another idea would be to replace the noisy fan with a
    > quiet one. Sometimes retrofitting can be tedious. I did that with a
    > video card using tie-wraps. Not the best looking solution but a very
    > practical one.

    I took the video card noise to task and found that the greaterr part
    of the high frequency noise was caused by tip vortices from the fan
    blades spilling over the edge of the large hole in the 'cover plate'
    (for the inlet port). The efficiency of the cooling was largely unaffected
    and the annoying noise elements were reduced by lots by simply
    removing this cover plate which was secured by small cross head
    screws.

    This was on a Ti4200 card not EpOX, but I guess that this pattern
    of top cover is common for a lot of video cards.

    HTH

Epox Cooling Motherboards