New and older Opterons

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If

so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

thx for the help,

dan
3 answers Last reply
More about older opterons
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    harryguy082589@aol.com (Dan Irwin) wrote in message news:<2a779348.0404081749.295eedc8@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
    > out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
    > week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
    > for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
    > this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
    > new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
    > codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
    > respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
    >
    > so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
    > Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
    > would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.
    >
    > thx for the help,
    >
    > dan

    It does not matter, buy or build, once the product is in your hand it
    is out of date, history, already the updated replacement is in the
    pipeline. The best is to set one up and replaceit after 2 to 3 years.
    as for updating that one... hardwarewise no, software yes.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Looks like the way to go will be the new Nforce 3-250 chipset motherboards
    and the new 939 pin Athalon 64 and FX CPU's. the new 939's will have dual
    channel memory controllers. Also the FSB will go from 800 to 1000,the 250x4 fsb
    and 500mz ram should make for an execellant system. DOUG
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    As far as the Opteron goes, AMD has no plans that I know of to change
    Socket 940 in the near future. From what I have read, these new CPUs will
    have a new memory controller that supports DDR-II, but they may still
    support regular old DDR.

    They will be using a new 90nm SOI process. Whether these will run on
    current motherboards is a wild card. If I had to guess, I would say that
    they would. Specifications for server boards tend to change more slowly
    than for desktop boards, since the server market favors stability.

    If it were up to me, I would try to get a fairly new Socket 940 board, or
    at least not one that came out right at the same time as the first
    Opterons. Hopefully, any kinks in older models will have already been
    worked out.

    Keep in mind that this has been pure speculation on my part, but those are
    my two cents.

    --Alex

    Dan Irwin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
    > out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
    > week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
    > for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
    > this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
    > new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
    > codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
    > respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
    >
    > so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
    > Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
    > would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.
    >
    > thx for the help,
    >
    > dan

Epox Motherboards