Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If

so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

thx for the help,

dan

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

harryguy082589@aol.com (Dan Irwin) wrote in message news:<2a779348.0404081749.295eedc8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
> out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
> week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
> for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
> this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
> new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
> codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
> respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
>
> so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
> Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
> would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.
>
> thx for the help,
>
> dan

It does not matter, buy or build, once the product is in your hand it
is out of date, history, already the updated replacement is in the
pipeline. The best is to set one up and replaceit after 2 to 3 years.
as for updating that one... hardwarewise no, software yes.

Dave

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Looks like the way to go will be the new Nforce 3-250 chipset motherboards
and the new 939 pin Athalon 64 and FX CPU's. the new 939's will have dual
channel memory controllers. Also the FSB will go from 800 to 1000,the 250x4 fsb
and 500mz ram should make for an execellant system. DOUG

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.soyo,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.supermicro,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

As far as the Opteron goes, AMD has no plans that I know of to change
Socket 940 in the near future. From what I have read, these new CPUs will
have a new memory controller that supports DDR-II, but they may still
support regular old DDR.

They will be using a new 90nm SOI process. Whether these will run on
current motherboards is a wild card. If I had to guess, I would say that
they would. Specifications for server boards tend to change more slowly
than for desktop boards, since the server market favors stability.

If it were up to me, I would try to get a fairly new Socket 940 board, or
at least not one that came out right at the same time as the first
Opterons. Hopefully, any kinks in older models will have already been
worked out.

Keep in mind that this has been pure speculation on my part, but those are
my two cents.

--Alex

Dan Irwin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
> out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
> week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
> for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
> this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
> new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
> codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
> respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
>
> so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
> Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
> would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.
>
> thx for the help,
>
> dan

TRENDING THREADS