Updated request for assistance.

OK. Here's a good one... Updated with further details.

Relevant specs:

Windows XP home ed. SP 2. (Not SP2 Related. has been
happening since XP install in approx Feb 04)

Sony CD RW crx160e
Sony DVD Rom DDU1621

MSI KT4V MoBo w/ current BIOS

Here it is in a nutshell:

Every time I restart the machine, I get the Device
Installer Error "Windows could not load the installer
for . Contact your hardware vendor for assistance". Note
this is an exact quote - it lists no specific device. But
it is definitely the optical drives. (twice, once for
each)

It then asks me if I want to search for drivers for the
CD Rom drives. (twice). If I allow it to search, of
course it finds nothing.

I've tried everything, and I'm at my rope's end.

I've changed both of the Secondary IDE Channel Properties
to PIO only, for 0 and 1. Rebooted, same result.

When I click on "troubleshoot" in the properties for
either drive, it goes back to the Device Installer Error,
and no further.

If I try to uninstall the driver, it says "Failure to
uninstall the device, the device may be needed to start
the computer".

Funny thing is: Both drives work fine. The DVD drive,
plays DVD's. The CD R/W reads / writes just fine.

However, this is a very cumbersome issue, and I could
certainly use the advice. I've been tinkering with it for
months, to no avail...

So what do you think? I've searched everywhere, and have
never seen a similar issue posted.

Thanks

"Skot" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks, Ron;
>
>The problem isn't that it's detecting the same item
>twice, but I went over your solution, anyway, and I'm
>still getting the same device installer error upon boot.
>
>So the problem remains: Each time upon boot I get the
>message above, and the request to find drivers, to no
>avail.
>
>Today I also tried swapping master / slave, and that
>didn't work either.
>
>Any further advice would definitely be appreciated
>
>-S

Okay.

drives.

Then reboot normally and see if that will clear things up.

If not then we will have to delve into some registry editing.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

>Okay.

for CDROM
>drives.
>
>Then reboot normally and see if that will clear things
up.

>If not then we will have to delve into some registry
editing.

>Good luck

Ron,

OK, I attempted to delete the drives in Safe Mode, and it
still refused, saying "failed to delete, this device may
be required to start the computer" or somesuch.

I also deleted the drivers from safe mode. But cdrom.sys
kept coming right back.

So we're back at the same place.

Pls advise what must now be done in the registry.

Thanks

Len

Before doing reg hacks try again in safe mode deleting the (assuming you are
connected to IDE channel) IDE controller from Device manager. This should
by association delete the drives as well. Then try restarting your system
regularly.

Good Luck,
Len

>>Okay.

> for CDROM
>>drives.
>>
>>Then reboot normally and see if that will clear things
> up.
>>
>>If not then we will have to delve into some registry
> editing.
>>
>>Good luck
>

> Ron,
>
> OK, I attempted to delete the drives in Safe Mode, and it
> still refused, saying "failed to delete, this device may
> be required to start the computer" or somesuch.
>
> I also deleted the drivers from safe mode. But cdrom.sys
> kept coming right back.
>
> So we're back at the same place.
>
> Pls advise what must now be done in the registry.
>
> Thanks

Great idea, Len,

I did as you suggested. And it did delete the drives, as
well.. But upon restart, the same thing happened...

So I guess the reg is the last resort?

Thanks
-s