help ive killed the daughters board.....i think

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2004 10:45:12 PM

Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
went fine no slips or anything.

Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe the
chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.

Disconnected all drives , nothing.

changed the gfx card and nothing.

Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
think of.

Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
nothing on the monitor.

any suggestions?

Bri
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2004 10:45:48 PM

"Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
> went fine no slips or anything.
>
> Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
the
> chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
>
> Disconnected all drives , nothing.
>
> changed the gfx card and nothing.
>
> Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> think of.
>
> Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> nothing on the monitor.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Bri

just to say its an 8RDA+

Bri
April 13, 2004 11:54:23 PM

What does the diagnostic LED go to? Also, did you remember to plug the cpu
fan back to the correct header?

Dave

"Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
> went fine no slips or anything.
>
> Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
the
> chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
>
> Disconnected all drives , nothing.
>
> changed the gfx card and nothing.
>
> Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> think of.
>
> Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> nothing on the monitor.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Bri

a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2004 4:29:44 AM

"Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
> went fine no slips or anything.
>
> Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
the
> chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
>
> Disconnected all drives , nothing.
>
> changed the gfx card and nothing.
>
> Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> think of.
>
> Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> nothing on the monitor.
>
> any suggestions?

Check the seating of the AGP and card and the memory- one or other may have
been slightly dislodged during the work that you did. Also - make sure that
the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard.

Tony
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2004 5:19:58 PM

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p IKdnWsyFbrUOuHdRVn-hQ@comcast.com...
> What does the diagnostic LED go to? Also, did you remember to plug the
cpu
> fan back to the correct header?
>
> Dave
>

> "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 ,
everything
> > went fine no slips or anything.
> >
> > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
> the
> > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
> >
> > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
> >
> > changed the gfx card and nothing.
> >
> > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> > think of.
> >
> > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> > nothing on the monitor.
> >
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > Bri

Diag Led just shows FF, cpu fan is in the right connector.

tried a different monitor, interestingly is that the monitor flicks but
doesnt show anything.

Swapped the memory over to different slots and no joy
April 14, 2004 5:19:59 PM

Did you disconnect the power cord when replacing the cpu?

It could have been that you flexed the board too much while installing the
HSF. I like to brace the underside of the board where the cpu socket is
while installing. As a matter of fact, on one of my systems that I use to
test things, I have a piece of plastic permanently under there. I have one
AMD retail HSF that has the mother of all retention springs on it. It
requires about forty pounds of pressure to attach the damn thing. It's a
good thing it has six lugs on it instead of two because it would likely
break the socket tabs.

Dave

> Well it seems the board is dead as a dodo. Went my local shop and got
> another board and the machinen fired up first time.
>
> God knows what i did when i pulled the old processor out but whatever it
was
> it didnt like it.
>

> Bri

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2004 9:35:49 PM

Well it seems the board is dead as a dodo. Went my local shop and got
another board and the machinen fired up first time.

God knows what i did when i pulled the old processor out but whatever it was
it didnt like it.

Bri
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2004 10:50:37 PM

> Did you disconnect the power cord when replacing the cpu?

Yep always do

> It could have been that you flexed the board too much while installing the
> HSF. I like to brace the underside of the board where the cpu socket is
> while installing. As a matter of fact, on one of my systems that I use to
> test things, I have a piece of plastic permanently under there. I have
one
> AMD retail HSF that has the mother of all retention springs on it. It
> requires about forty pounds of pressure to attach the damn thing. It's a
> good thing it has six lugs on it instead of two because it would likely
> break the socket tabs.
>
> Dave

i used to have a slk-800 on it ages ago that required to use to substantial
force but over time it loosened up a little bit and its now in my main
system working its little wonders. This was just a bog standard akasa
heatsink as the computer was built from spares when i upgraded all my
system.

Bri
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2004 4:19:59 PM

Brian

Check the circuit traces near the CPU socket clips for scratches. Its
possible when taking off the heatsink the clip went to far down and touched
the PCB - this could have broken a circuit trace rendering the board dead.

Technical Support Department
EPoX International, Inc.
support@epox.com
www.epox.com

Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

"Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
> went fine no slips or anything.
>
> Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
the
> chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
>
> Disconnected all drives , nothing.
>
> changed the gfx card and nothing.
>
> Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> think of.
>
> Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> nothing on the monitor.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Bri

April 19, 2004 7:25:08 PM

Doesn't the 8rda+ have protective strips under the socket tabs?

Dave

"EPoX Tech" <support@epox.com> wrote in message
> Brian
>
> Check the circuit traces near the CPU socket clips for scratches. Its
> possible when taking off the heatsink the clip went to far down and
touched
> the PCB - this could have broken a circuit trace rendering the board dead.

> Technical Support Department
> EPoX International, Inc.
> support@epox.com
> www.epox.com
>
> Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
> BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com
>
> "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 ,
everything
> > went fine no slips or anything.
> >
> > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
> the
> > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
> >
> > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
> >
> > changed the gfx card and nothing.
> >
> > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
> > think of.
> >
> > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
> > nothing on the monitor.
> >
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > Bri

Anonymous