help ive killed the daughters board.....i think

Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
went fine no slips or anything.

Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe the
chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.

Disconnected all drives , nothing.

changed the gfx card and nothing.

Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
think of.

Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
nothing on the monitor.

any suggestions?

Bri
10 answers Last reply
More about help killed daughters board think
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
    > went fine no slips or anything.
    >
    > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    the
    > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    >
    > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    >
    > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    >
    > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > think of.
    >
    > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > nothing on the monitor.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Bri

    just to say its an 8RDA+

    Bri
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    What does the diagnostic LED go to? Also, did you remember to plug the cpu
    fan back to the correct header?

    Dave

    "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
    > went fine no slips or anything.
    >
    > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    the
    > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    >
    > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    >
    > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    >
    > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > think of.
    >
    > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > nothing on the monitor.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Bri

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
    > went fine no slips or anything.
    >
    > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    the
    > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    >
    > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    >
    > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    >
    > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > think of.
    >
    > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > nothing on the monitor.
    >
    > any suggestions?

    Check the seating of the AGP and card and the memory- one or other may have
    been slightly dislodged during the work that you did. Also - make sure that
    the cpu fan is connected to the correct header on the motherboard.

    Tony
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > What does the diagnostic LED go to? Also, did you remember to plug the
    cpu
    > fan back to the correct header?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 ,
    everything
    > > went fine no slips or anything.
    > >
    > > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    > the
    > > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    > >
    > > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    > >
    > > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    > >
    > > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > > think of.
    > >
    > > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > > nothing on the monitor.
    > >
    > > any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Bri

    Diag Led just shows FF, cpu fan is in the right connector.

    tried a different monitor, interestingly is that the monitor flicks but
    doesnt show anything.

    Swapped the memory over to different slots and no joy
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Did you disconnect the power cord when replacing the cpu?

    It could have been that you flexed the board too much while installing the
    HSF. I like to brace the underside of the board where the cpu socket is
    while installing. As a matter of fact, on one of my systems that I use to
    test things, I have a piece of plastic permanently under there. I have one
    AMD retail HSF that has the mother of all retention springs on it. It
    requires about forty pounds of pressure to attach the damn thing. It's a
    good thing it has six lugs on it instead of two because it would likely
    break the socket tabs.

    Dave

    > Well it seems the board is dead as a dodo. Went my local shop and got
    > another board and the machinen fired up first time.
    >
    > God knows what i did when i pulled the old processor out but whatever it
    was
    > it didnt like it.
    >

    > Bri

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Well it seems the board is dead as a dodo. Went my local shop and got
    another board and the machinen fired up first time.

    God knows what i did when i pulled the old processor out but whatever it was
    it didnt like it.

    Bri
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    > Did you disconnect the power cord when replacing the cpu?

    Yep always do

    > It could have been that you flexed the board too much while installing the
    > HSF. I like to brace the underside of the board where the cpu socket is
    > while installing. As a matter of fact, on one of my systems that I use to
    > test things, I have a piece of plastic permanently under there. I have
    one
    > AMD retail HSF that has the mother of all retention springs on it. It
    > requires about forty pounds of pressure to attach the damn thing. It's a
    > good thing it has six lugs on it instead of two because it would likely
    > break the socket tabs.
    >
    > Dave

    i used to have a slk-800 on it ages ago that required to use to substantial
    force but over time it loosened up a little bit and its now in my main
    system working its little wonders. This was just a bog standard akasa
    heatsink as the computer was built from spares when i upgraded all my
    system.

    Bri
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Brian

    Check the circuit traces near the CPU socket clips for scratches. Its
    possible when taking off the heatsink the clip went to far down and touched
    the PCB - this could have broken a circuit trace rendering the board dead.

    Technical Support Department
    EPoX International, Inc.
    support@epox.com
    www.epox.com

    Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

    "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 , everything
    > went fine no slips or anything.
    >
    > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    the
    > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    >
    > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    >
    > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    >
    > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > think of.
    >
    > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > nothing on the monitor.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > Bri

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Doesn't the 8rda+ have protective strips under the socket tabs?

    Dave

    "EPoX Tech" <support@epox.com> wrote in message
    > Brian
    >
    > Check the circuit traces near the CPU socket clips for scratches. Its
    > possible when taking off the heatsink the clip went to far down and
    touched
    > the PCB - this could have broken a circuit trace rendering the board dead.

    > Technical Support Department
    > EPoX International, Inc.
    > support@epox.com
    > www.epox.com
    >
    > Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    > BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com
    >
    > "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 ,
    everything
    > > went fine no slips or anything.
    > >
    > > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought maybe
    > the
    > > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    > >
    > > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    > >
    > > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    > >
    > > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i could
    > > think of.
    > >
    > > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up , just
    > > nothing on the monitor.
    > >
    > > any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Bri

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Dave

    Yes, but they only cover a small area.

    > Doesn't the 8rda+ have protective strips under the socket tabs?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "EPoX Tech" <support@epox.com> wrote in message
    > > Brian
    > >
    > > Check the circuit traces near the CPU socket clips for scratches. Its
    > > possible when taking off the heatsink the clip went to far down and
    > touched
    > > the PCB - this could have broken a circuit trace rendering the board
    dead.

    > > --

    > > Technical Support Department
    > > EPoX International, Inc.
    > > support@epox.com
    > > www.epox.com
    > >
    > > Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard
    accessories...
    > > BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com
    > >
    > > "Brian Hopkinson" <nospambrian.hopkinson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > > Ok went to change the daughters cpu from a xp1700 to a xp2200 ,
    > everything
    > > > went fine no slips or anything.
    > > >
    > > > Botted up and nothing, no post , no hd access bugger all. Thought
    maybe
    > > the
    > > > chip was crackered so put the old xp1700 back in. Bugger all.
    > > >
    > > > Disconnected all drives , nothing.
    > > >
    > > > changed the gfx card and nothing.
    > > >
    > > > Cleared the cmos, held down insert while booting. All the things i
    could
    > > > think of.
    > > >
    > > > Oh checked the volts on the psu and all fine there, fans spin up ,
    just
    > > > nothing on the monitor.
    > > >
    > > > any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Bri