BIOS Installation?

Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
computer but they don't say how to install the file.

Many thanks Chris Smith
2 answers Last reply
More about bios installation

    You say that you can't restart the system. When the battery died, it
    normally doesn't destroy the bios program. It only affects the settings in
    the cmos which shows the bios what settings have been chosen for the
    computer. During the initial POST (power on self test) you should see a
    screen stating that the setup information is corrupt. Pressing the proper
    key or sequence of keys should allow you to get into the cmos setup. (The
    proper key sequence is determined by the bios and usually is F1 or F2 or
    Delete key or Ctrl + Alt + S and in some computers F10 or F11 or F12.) If
    you can get into the system settings find how to set them to their default
    settings and reboot the computer. This should fix your problem.

    Somewhere on Gateway's site should be the instructions for the flashing of
    the bios using their program and data file. You missed it.

    Generic instructions to flash a bios is: To install a new "flash" to the
    bios you need a bootable floppy disk with the flash install program (.com or
    ..exe) and data file (.bin normally) residing on it. The computer's bios
    needs to be set to boot from a floppy. The flash program will give the
    option to save the old bios information and this should be done prior to
    flashing the new bios. Also, be aware that it the computer's power is lost
    during the actual flash of the bios that the bios will be rendered unusable
    and therefore the computer will also be rendered unusable until the actual
    bios chip is replaced. (In other words, if the bios program is damaged, the
    computer can't read from the floppy disk and can't recover itself.)

    "Chris Smith" <princesofmaine@prexar.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
    > The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
    > I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
    > computer but they don't say how to install the file.
    >
    > Many thanks Chris Smith

    Even if the battery died you do not need to flash BIOS. This task is only
    for a trained or experienced user.

    CMOS stores the active state of a PC - device configuration [ what hard
    drives, CDs etc] and is kept alive when PC is not in use by way of the power
    from the battery.

    If the battery fails, you can replace the battery and the system will
    require that the BIOS is reset.

    Nothing else should be required. If your PC still doesn't work take it to a
    competent repairer. It will be cheaper than buyiong a new PC should you
    manage to cause further damage yourself.

    "Chris Smith" wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
    > The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
    > I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
    > computer but they don't say how to install the file.
    >
    > Many thanks Chris Smith

BIOS Gateway Windows XP