BIOS Installation?

Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
computer but they don't say how to install the file.

Many thanks Chris Smith

You say that you can't restart the system. When the battery died, it
normally doesn't destroy the bios program. It only affects the settings in
the cmos which shows the bios what settings have been chosen for the
computer. During the initial POST (power on self test) you should see a
screen stating that the setup information is corrupt. Pressing the proper
key or sequence of keys should allow you to get into the cmos setup. (The
proper key sequence is determined by the bios and usually is F1 or F2 or
Delete key or Ctrl + Alt + S and in some computers F10 or F11 or F12.) If
you can get into the system settings find how to set them to their default
settings and reboot the computer. This should fix your problem.

Somewhere on Gateway's site should be the instructions for the flashing of
the bios using their program and data file. You missed it.

Generic instructions to flash a bios is: To install a new "flash" to the
bios you need a bootable floppy disk with the flash install program (.com or
..exe) and data file (.bin normally) residing on it. The computer's bios
needs to be set to boot from a floppy. The flash program will give the
option to save the old bios information and this should be done prior to
flashing the new bios. Also, be aware that it the computer's power is lost
during the actual flash of the bios that the bios will be rendered unusable
and therefore the computer will also be rendered unusable until the actual
bios chip is replaced. (In other words, if the bios program is damaged, the
computer can't read from the floppy disk and can't recover itself.)

"Chris Smith" <princesofmaine@prexar.com> wrote in message
> Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
> The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
> I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
> computer but they don't say how to install the file.
>
> Many thanks Chris Smith

bar

Even if the battery died you do not need to flash BIOS. This task is only
for a trained or experienced user.

CMOS stores the active state of a PC - device configuration [ what hard
drives, CDs etc] and is kept alive when PC is not in use by way of the power
from the battery.

If the battery fails, you can replace the battery and the system will
require that the BIOS is reset.

Nothing else should be required. If your PC still doesn't work take it to a
competent repairer. It will be cheaper than buyiong a new PC should you
manage to cause further damage yourself.

"Chris Smith" wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to install a BIOS on my old Gateway 2000 comp?
> The battery died and now I can't re-start the machine.
> I've downloaded a more recent BIOS file from Gateway for this model of
> computer but they don't say how to install the file.
>
> Many thanks Chris Smith

TRENDING THREADS