Bad motherboard corrupting HD?

I have a machine with a Epox mvp3g2 motherboard that's been giving
me some problems. I've been trying to install Windows Me, and somewhere
in the process, the HD gets corrupted. I can boot from the Windows
CD "with CD support", which gives me a pseudo drive A: ramdisk, and
then use fdisk to remove and then create the primary partition. Then
I format the drive, and it's fine for a while, but if I run scandisk,
half the time it tells me the drive is reporting the wrong size, and
offers to fix it, and then it says ok. But if I try to install windows
from there, the installer program finds the same error.

If I put the drive (I've tried 2 and get the same result) in another
machine, I get the same error, but if I fdisk and reformat it on the
other machine, I can install windows no problem on either drive and
both work fine.

I'm suspecting a bad IDE controller on the motherboard. I don't
think it's windows, because I can experience the corruption
before running setup.

Is there any way I can determine for sure that the motherboard is
ok or not, without installing windows? Maybe some diagnostic that
I can run from a floppy?

Maybe something in the BIOS setup?

Thanks,
rz

Razzbar

It could be the IDE controller. Have you tried both? What about swapping IDE
cables?

Technical Support Department
EPoX International, Inc.
support@epox.com
www.epox.com

Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

Razzbar wrote:
> I have a machine with a Epox mvp3g2 motherboard that's been giving
> me some problems. I've been trying to install Windows Me, and
> somewhere in the process, the HD gets corrupted. I can boot from the
> Windows
> CD "with CD support", which gives me a pseudo drive A: ramdisk, and
> then use fdisk to remove and then create the primary partition. Then
> I format the drive, and it's fine for a while, but if I run scandisk,
> half the time it tells me the drive is reporting the wrong size, and
> offers to fix it, and then it says ok. But if I try to install windows
> from there, the installer program finds the same error.
>
> If I put the drive (I've tried 2 and get the same result) in another
> machine, I get the same error, but if I fdisk and reformat it on the
> other machine, I can install windows no problem on either drive and
> both work fine.
>
> I'm suspecting a bad IDE controller on the motherboard. I don't
> think it's windows, because I can experience the corruption
> before running setup.

I would suspect the IDE ribbon cable. Try swapping the cable to the
other machine when you test the drive on that machine.

"Graham W" <graham@his.com.puterINVALID> wrote in message news:<nWDhc.35557$Y%6.4637929@wards.force9.net>...
> Razzbar wrote:
> > I have a machine with a Epox mvp3g2 motherboard that's been giving
> > me some problems. I've been trying to install Windows Me, and
> > somewhere in the process, the HD gets corrupted. I can boot from the
> > Windows
> > CD "with CD support", which gives me a pseudo drive A: ramdisk, and
> > then use fdisk to remove and then create the primary partition. Then
> > I format the drive, and it's fine for a while, but if I run scandisk,
> > half the time it tells me the drive is reporting the wrong size, and
> > offers to fix it, and then it says ok. But if I try to install windows
> > from there, the installer program finds the same error.
> >
> > If I put the drive (I've tried 2 and get the same result) in another
> > machine, I get the same error, but if I fdisk and reformat it on the
> > other machine, I can install windows no problem on either drive and
> > both work fine.
> >
> > I'm suspecting a bad IDE controller on the motherboard. I don't
> > think it's windows, because I can experience the corruption
> > before running setup.
>
> I would suspect the IDE ribbon cable. Try swapping the cable to the
> other machine when you test the drive on that machine.

I tried swapping the cable with one known to be good. No luck. Same
thing happens. I boot from the Windows installer CD, do an fdisk to
remove and create a new partition, then format, then do Scandisk,
and get the same "Drive is reporting the wrong amount of space".

Er, with fdisk, I am creating a -primary- and not -extended-
partition. Is that right?

Razzbar wrote:
> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puterINVALID> wrote in message
>> Razzbar wrote:
>>> I have a machine with a Epox mvp3g2 motherboard that's been giving
>>> me some problems. I've been trying to install Windows Me, and
>>> somewhere in the process, the HD gets corrupted. I can boot from the
>>> Windows
>>> CD "with CD support", which gives me a pseudo drive A: ramdisk, and
>>> then use fdisk to remove and then create the primary partition. Then
>>> I format the drive, and it's fine for a while, but if I run
>>> scandisk,
>>> half the time it tells me the drive is reporting the wrong size, and
>>> offers to fix it, and then it says ok. But if I try to install
>>> windows
>>> from there, the installer program finds the same error.
>>>
>>> If I put the drive (I've tried 2 and get the same result) in another
>>> machine, I get the same error, but if I fdisk and reformat it on the
>>> other machine, I can install windows no problem on either drive and
>>> both work fine.
>>>
>>> I'm suspecting a bad IDE controller on the motherboard. I don't
>>> think it's windows, because I can experience the corruption
>>> before running setup.
>>
>> I would suspect the IDE ribbon cable. Try swapping the cable to the
>> other machine when you test the drive on that machine.
>
> I tried swapping the cable with one known to be good. No luck. Same
> thing happens. I boot from the Windows installer CD, do an fdisk to
> remove and create a new partition, then format, then do Scandisk,
> and get the same "Drive is reporting the wrong amount of space".
>
> Er, with fdisk, I am creating a -primary- and not -extended-
> partition. Is that right?

Yes, for a bootable partition.
However, to cover the other case, if you wanted to use the drive only as
an extension to your existing storage then you'd fdisk it first as an
extended partition and then create one or more logical drives within
that partition.

What is the make and size of this problem drive?

Graham W wrote:
> Razzbar wrote:
>> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puterINVALID> wrote in message

>>> I would suspect the IDE ribbon cable. Try swapping the cable to the
>>> other machine when you test the drive on that machine.
>>
>> I tried swapping the cable with one known to be good. No luck. Same
>> thing happens. I boot from the Windows installer CD, do an fdisk to
>> remove and create a new partition, then format, then do Scandisk,
>> and get the same "Drive is reporting the wrong amount of space".
>>
>> Er, with fdisk, I am creating a -primary- and not -extended-
>> partition. Is that right?
>
> Yes, for a bootable partition.
> However, to cover the other case, if you wanted to use the drive only
> as an extension to your existing storage then you'd fdisk it first as
> an extended partition and then create one or more logical drives
> within that partition.
>
> What is the make and size of this problem drive?

I've just had a further thought - is the system in question running at
absolutely standard speeds on the busses? Have you tried
'Load Fail-Safe Defaults in the BIOS" before partitioning and
formating?

Razzbar

Put the drive on the controller alone as SINGLE. If you are going to have
the parition bootable then use primary and set active. Check for viruses as
its very suspicious.