USB 2.0 Mass Storage Crash

October 7, 2004 9:04:34 PM

On an ASUS P4SGX-MX with an SiS 7001 USB to Host controller
I encounter crashes every time I install a USB Mass Storage
Device. I have tried drivers from SiS, ASUS and the ones
with XP Pro (SP1a and 2) to no avail. I plug in and turn
on the drive, 10-15 seconds later hard crash, no blue
screen, nothing. Drive works on two other computers. XP
is a fresh install (I have a spare drive laying around to
do that on.)

Any Ideas??

James

More about : usb mass storage crash

October 8, 2004 11:29:13 AM

Hi,

Try update the mobo BIOS , the chipset drivers as well as the USB 2.0 drivers.
http://taiwan.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Mo...

After you have flashed the BIOS, make sure to boot into BIOS and load setup
default then save and exit BIOS setup.

CARE: Be careful, an improper BIOS update would turn your PC into a dead
stone.
If you are not familiar with BIOS update, read and print the instructions
from asus.com for how to update BIOS using Aflash V2.21
For more easy way, use the Asus Update utility (in the CD that came with the
Mobo)
Save the BIOS to a specific folder and then unzip. Use the Asus update
utility to update the BIOS through "Update the BIOS from a file"

Peter

"James" wrote:

> On an ASUS P4SGX-MX with an SiS 7001 USB to Host controller
> I encounter crashes every time I install a USB Mass Storage
> Device. I have tried drivers from SiS, ASUS and the ones
> with XP Pro (SP1a and 2) to no avail. I plug in and turn
> on the drive, 10-15 seconds later hard crash, no blue
> screen, nothing. Drive works on two other computers. XP
> is a fresh install (I have a spare drive laying around to
> do that on.)
>
> Any Ideas??
>
> James

October 8, 2004 1:08:59 PM

Peter
I have the latest bios (1005, tried the 1006Beta but had
other problems). The USB 2.0 drivers won't install as I am
using a slipstreamed install of sp1a or 2 (tried both).
I have reset BIOS defaults which turns on the built in VGA
(bad thing), no joy.

Any other suggestions.

James

!