8RDA+: Microphone problems and frustration

Hello all,

Now that I have need for it, I cannot get my microphone to work. My mobo
(Epox 8RDA+) is configured for 6 channel sound, so all the rear ports are
being used by my speakers. I hooked up the three pins (MIC-IN, MIC-POWER,
and MIC-GRND) from the front audio panel to the correct audio connects on
the mobo (which are located right below the video card).

However, I can't get any sound from my microphone. I am positive the
microphone works. I have used nVidia Soundstorm and made sure that the mic
is not muted. I'm also upgraded to the latest drivers.

What could I be doing wrong? Do the pins I connect have to have the writing
facing a certain direction? I believe that was the case with the front USB
ports so I wasn't sure if that applied here or not, but the manual sure
doesn't say anything about that.

Would REALLY appreciate some help here. Thanks!

Jon Heller wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Now that I have need for it, I cannot get my microphone to work. My
> mobo (Epox 8RDA+) is configured for 6 channel sound, so all the rear
> ports are being used by my speakers. I hooked up the three pins
> (MIC-IN, MIC-POWER, and MIC-GRND) from the front audio panel to the
> correct audio connects on the mobo (which are located right below the
> video card).
>
> However, I can't get any sound from my microphone. I am positive the
> microphone works. I have used nVidia Soundstorm and made sure that
> the mic is not muted. I'm also upgraded to the latest drivers.
>
> What could I be doing wrong? Do the pins I connect have to have the
> writing facing a certain direction? I believe that was the case with
> the front USB ports so I wasn't sure if that applied here or not, but
> the manual sure doesn't say anything about that.

Hello Jon

I'm not clear what kind of connectors you have since I don't have the
front panel audio lead. If it is a single block, you must orientate it to
pick up the right services on the right pins. In fact you must do this
whatever type (single block or individual single pin connectors) you
use. Since the Microphone is most likely an 'electret' type, it needs
a DC bias to make it work. The manual is clear about which pin is
which.

Why not temporarily set it back to two channel sound and check that
the Mic still works when plugged into the rear panel?

"Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in news:nkqmc.253$wI4.41656
@wards.force9.net:

> Hello Jon
>
> I'm not clear what kind of connectors you have since I don't have the
> front panel audio lead. If it is a single block, you must orientate it to
> pick up the right services on the right pins. In fact you must do this
> whatever type (single block or individual single pin connectors) you
> use. Since the Microphone is most likely an 'electret' type, it needs
> a DC bias to make it work. The manual is clear about which pin is
> which.
>
> Why not temporarily set it back to two channel sound and check that
> the Mic still works when plugged into the rear panel?

Thank you for the response. I tested the mic in two channel mode (by
switching my speaker setup to two speakers in nVidia Soundstorm control
panel, and plugging the mic into the rear speaker) and that did indeed
work.

The front audio connectors are three single blocks, which I have plugged in
to the appropriate pins on the AUD2 motherboard connector. There is no
instruction in the manual of my case, which supplies the cables, or the
motherboard which state which direction the writing on these pins should
face. I was told that the direction shouldn't matter though?

I also tested the mic in Linux, in case it was a software driver problem,
and still didn't have any mic response.

> @wards.force9.net:
>
> > Hello Jon
> >
> > I'm not clear what kind of connectors you have since I don't have the
> > front panel audio lead. If it is a single block, you must orientate it
> > pick up the right services on the right pins. In fact you must do this
> > whatever type (single block or individual single pin connectors) you
> > use. Since the Microphone is most likely an 'electret' type, it needs
> > a DC bias to make it work. The manual is clear about which pin is
> > which.
> >
> > Why not temporarily set it back to two channel sound and check that
> > the Mic still works when plugged into the rear panel?
> >

> Thank you for the response. I tested the mic in two channel mode (by
> switching my speaker setup to two speakers in nVidia Soundstorm control
> panel, and plugging the mic into the rear speaker) and that did indeed
> work.
>
> The front audio connectors are three single blocks, which I have plugged
in
> to the appropriate pins on the AUD2 motherboard connector. There is no
> instruction in the manual of my case, which supplies the cables, or the
> motherboard which state which direction the writing on these pins should
> face. I was told that the direction shouldn't matter though?

Are these individual connectors printed with their connection names?

What test gear have you got? A DVM or VOM Multimeter would be
useful here.

Can you find the lead which connects to the sleeve of the
mic plug? This is MIC_GND and you can verify the matching pin on
the m/board AUD2 header by voltage checking first between pin 2
and metalwork on the adjacent shield. This should read 0.0vdc.

Now put the +ve lead onto pin 4 of AUD2 and check that some 5vdc
are available.

Having established the GND lead from the front socket, connect it to
the GND pin 2 as verified above. This leaves just the other two wires
which can be connected on a trial basis and tested and then swapped
over - one test will work, the other won't.

Finally, if all seems correct and it still won't work, you will need to
verify the m/board header can route audio to the input. A simple way
is to connect the headphone output of a portable radio/player to
pin 2 (GND) and pin 1 (MIC_IN) and check you can get sound
through the system.