Unable to boot in Windows 7 "Boot Disk not Found"

nilesbw

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
This morning I was reading my email, and the dreaded blue screen of death came for me. I couldn't read everything it said before it restarted my system, but what I got through seemed to indicate that there was a hardware problem, and likely a USB hardware problem at that. However, upon restart it got through the bios splash screen and then I got the error "boot disk not found insert bootable disk and press enter.

I have not added or deleted any files and/or programs in the last couple of weeks, so I am unsure what would have caused this "out of the blue" (no pun intended). Any ideas as to how to solve the problem, and how the problem arose to begin with? I checked the bios and made sure that booting from the HDD was enabled, and after that point I'm stuck.
Thanks everyone

w7pro

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
You might have to do a clean install of Windows 7. You could also try to run it in safe mode and try to do a system restore, but that's a very foreboding error message.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team

nilesbw

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Thank you for the reply. I came home from work a bit early today to take a closer look, and powered the computer on and got the same response. So I took a look inside the case, everything looked fine, but I decided since I was in there to unplug the sata connection and plug it into a different slot. This seemed to work, it booted up and windows try to repair the startup procedure and said nothing was wrong. Do the connections go bad often? Or is it possible that this wasn't really the problem and it will continue to randomly give me problems?