EPoX 8RDA boards

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
(I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
I looking, I've found the following boards:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
would you recommend?

thnx,
Christoph
9 answers Last reply
More about epox 8rda boards
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I have the same board, and it too, is dying. The caps (capacitors) are
    going bad. Take a look at your motherboard, and if the caps are swollen, or
    oozing fluid, which they probably are, then that's why it's happening. From
    what I understand, the new abit boards only use the Japanese caps which are
    the only caps that don't go bad. Does anyone else know if this is true
    about Abit boards? KC

    Do a google search for "bad caps forum", and you can find pictures of what
    bad caps look like. (If the tops of the caps are not flat, but bulging,
    they are going bad)

    "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
    > currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
    > (I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
    > with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
    > I looking, I've found the following boards:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

    > Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
    > Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
    > would you recommend?
    >
    > thnx,
    > Christoph

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    HI, the bad electrolyte caps are off the market now, some stupid company
    stole the incomplete formula and made a bunch of bad caps. All the
    motherboards have discarded these bad caps and you can probably get fixed
    free at Epox if you call technical support. I recommend the 8RDA3+ which is
    the 8RDA+ replacement. Or if you want to upgrade the Epox 8HDA+ Athlon64
    board, of course you will need a new cpu.

    doug
    www.lynncomp.com
    Authorized Epox direct reseller

    "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
    > currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
    > (I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
    > with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
    > I looking, I've found the following boards:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

    > Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
    > Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
    > would you recommend?
    >
    > thnx,
    > Christoph

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    KC

    Contact EPoX support and they may be able to arrange repair for you.

    Technical Support Department
    EPoX International, Inc.
    support@epox.com
    www.epox.com

    Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

    "KC" <croccok@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I have the same board, and it too, is dying. The caps (capacitors) are
    > going bad. Take a look at your motherboard, and if the caps are swollen,
    or
    > oozing fluid, which they probably are, then that's why it's happening.
    From
    > what I understand, the new abit boards only use the Japanese caps which
    are
    > the only caps that don't go bad. Does anyone else know if this is true
    > about Abit boards? KC
    >
    > Do a google search for "bad caps forum", and you can find pictures of what
    > bad caps look like. (If the tops of the caps are not flat, but bulging,
    > they are going bad)
    >

    > "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
    > > currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
    > > (I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
    > > with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
    > > I looking, I've found the following boards:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

    > > Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
    > > Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
    > > would you recommend?
    > >
    > > thnx,
    > > Christoph

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Hi

    Either board would be a good choice.

    Technical Support Department
    EPoX International, Inc.
    support@epox.com
    www.epox.com

    Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

    "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
    > currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
    > (I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
    > with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
    > I looking, I've found the following boards:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

    > Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
    > Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
    > would you recommend?
    >
    > thnx,
    > Christoph

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I have and they sent me an RMA number, the problem I have is I only have the
    one computer and I can't afford to go two weeks without it. So it means
    I'll have to purchase another mb, just to get this one fixed--or I can try
    to fix it myself. It would be nice if EPoX sent me a new board before I
    sent them mine, seeing as how my board isn't even a year old yet....Don't
    think that will happen though. And if I buy a new board, I'm not sure it
    will be EPoX since I don't want to go through the leaking cap thing
    again....KC

    "EPoX Tech" <support@epox.com> wrote in message
    > KC
    >
    > Contact EPoX support and they may be able to arrange repair for you.

    > Technical Support Department
    > EPoX International, Inc.
    > support@epox.com
    > www.epox.com
    >
    > Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    > BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com
    >
    > "KC" <croccok@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > I have the same board, and it too, is dying. The caps (capacitors) are
    > > going bad. Take a look at your motherboard, and if the caps are
    swollen,
    > or
    > > oozing fluid, which they probably are, then that's why it's happening.
    > From
    > > what I understand, the new abit boards only use the Japanese caps which
    > are
    > > the only caps that don't go bad. Does anyone else know if this is true
    > > about Abit boards? KC
    > >
    > > Do a google search for "bad caps forum", and you can find pictures of
    what
    > > bad caps look like. (If the tops of the caps are not flat, but bulging,
    > > they are going bad)
    > >

    > > "Sorrow" <jcboget@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Sadly, it seems as if I'm going to need to replace my MB. I
    > > > currently have a EPoX 8RDA+ board that I bought last year
    > > > (I'm not sure why it died so young) that I was/am pretty happy
    > > > with. As a result, I plan on replacing it with a similar model.
    > > > I looking, I've found the following boards:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-198&depa=0

    > > > Neither of which seems as if it's exactly what I currently have.
    > > > Has any of you had experience with either board? Which
    > > > would you recommend?
    > > >
    > > > thnx,
    > > > Christoph

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:52:45 -0400, "KC" <croccok@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >I have and they sent me an RMA number, the problem I have is I only have the
    >one computer and I can't afford to go two weeks without it. So it means
    >I'll have to purchase another mb, just to get this one fixed--or I can try
    >to fix it myself. It would be nice if EPoX sent me a new board before I
    >sent them mine, seeing as how my board isn't even a year old yet....Don't
    >think that will happen though. And if I buy a new board, I'm not sure it
    >will be EPoX since I don't want to go through the leaking cap thing
    >again....KC

    IF the problem is leaking caps, all you need do is buy one confirmed to
    have different cap brand (or possibly different onboard power circuit
    design if caps weren't "defective").

    You could buy a cheap board and it could use same caps the Epox did, or
    even worse brand. A different, newer Epox board might use different,
    better caps. The main point being, if your concern about caps is valid,
    then the issue is to get a board with different caps, which isn't
    necessary meaning to buy or avoid Epox (or any particular brand). Then
    again, some brands do typically use better caps, for example Asus uses
    mostly high-end Rubycons, AOpen typically Sanyo, and MSI often Rubycon.
    Newegg is a good place to see pictures of boards, and while not a
    guarantee of which caps any given revision or lot of boards may have, it's
    a starting point.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I had 2 Epox boards fry on me due to the faulty caps. I still have 3 8K5A
    that are still running and one 8RDA+.

    One was an 8K5A that was about a year and half old. The 8k5a was tossed in
    the dumster. The other one was an 8RDA+ that fried with a year of the
    warranty period. I sent this back to the seller who is then going to send
    it back to Epox. God only knows when I will have this board returned.

    I have now switched brands to DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity. All settings being
    equal the DFI board was about 5% faster for floating point calculations then
    the Epox board.

    I might give Epox another shot when they return my repaired board, but it is
    a major pain in the ass to replace motherboards with this problem, My
    recommendation is to switch to more reliable manufacturers.

    Pete

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:52:45 -0400, "KC" <croccok@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I have and they sent me an RMA number, the problem I have is I only have
    the
    > >one computer and I can't afford to go two weeks without it. So it means
    > >I'll have to purchase another mb, just to get this one fixed--or I can
    try
    > >to fix it myself. It would be nice if EPoX sent me a new board before
    > >sent them mine, seeing as how my board isn't even a year old yet....Don't
    > >think that will happen though. And if I buy a new board, I'm not sure it
    > >will be EPoX since I don't want to go through the leaking cap thing
    > >again....KC
    > >

    > IF the problem is leaking caps, all you need do is buy one confirmed to
    > have different cap brand (or possibly different onboard power circuit
    > design if caps weren't "defective").
    >
    > You could buy a cheap board and it could use same caps the Epox did, or
    > even worse brand. A different, newer Epox board might use different,
    > better caps. The main point being, if your concern about caps is valid,
    > then the issue is to get a board with different caps, which isn't
    > necessary meaning to buy or avoid Epox (or any particular brand). Then
    > again, some brands do typically use better caps, for example Asus uses
    > mostly high-end Rubycons, AOpen typically Sanyo, and MSI often Rubycon.
    > Newegg is a good place to see pictures of boards, and while not a
    > guarantee of which caps any given revision or lot of boards may have, it's
    > a starting point.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:49:00 GMT, "Peter Harrington"
    <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

    >I had 2 Epox boards fry on me due to the faulty caps. I still have 3 8K5A
    >that are still running and one 8RDA+.
    >
    >One was an 8K5A that was about a year and half old. The 8k5a was tossed in
    >the dumster. The other one was an 8RDA+ that fried with a year of the
    >warranty period. I sent this back to the seller who is then going to send
    >it back to Epox. God only knows when I will have this board returned.
    >
    >I have now switched brands to DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity. All settings being
    >equal the DFI board was about 5% faster for floating point calculations then
    >the Epox board.
    >
    >I might give Epox another shot when they return my repaired board, but it is
    >a major pain in the ass to replace motherboards with this problem, My
    >recommendation is to switch to more reliable manufacturers.

    Not to nitpick, but DFI has never been known to be particularly reliable
    compared to the larger brands. I would still be more likley to buy an
    Epox than DFI. Hopefully you're using decent power supplies, as generics
    are quite likely to accelerate capacitor demise, as is inadequate chassis
    cooling. I'm not trying to lay blame here, rather that you've had your
    share of board failures already and keeping these things as optimal as
    possible should help to prolong the life of any board.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I am open minded. The blown boards were all in their own cases with their
    own powers supplies. Granted, I put the computers through their paces with
    some pretty extreme calculations.

    This board is my first DFI. What I can say is that I got through to tech
    support immediately, and they gave me the correct answer within 5 minutes of
    a telephone call. I did not find Epox tech. support to be as accessible.
    Where is the tech support telephone number on their web site?

    My point was that for 15 years, I have been maintaining a lab with 15 PCs.
    The only instances where the caps popped were on the Epox boards and in both
    cases the boards were less than 2 years old. I have two Dell Pentium Pro
    machines that have never been turned off and frequently used. Those
    motherboards are fine (knock on wood).

    Speaking of power supplies, I just ordered a 550W Anatec from newegg.

    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 03:49:00 GMT, "Peter Harrington"
    > <pharring@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I had 2 Epox boards fry on me due to the faulty caps. I still have 3
    8K5A
    > >that are still running and one 8RDA+.
    > >
    > >One was an 8K5A that was about a year and half old. The 8k5a was tossed
    in
    > >the dumster. The other one was an 8RDA+ that fried with a year of the
    > >warranty period. I sent this back to the seller who is then going to
    send
    > >it back to Epox. God only knows when I will have this board returned.
    > >
    > >I have now switched brands to DFI NF2 Ultra Infinity. All settings being
    > >equal the DFI board was about 5% faster for floating point calculations
    then
    > >the Epox board.
    > >
    > >I might give Epox another shot when they return my repaired board, but it
    is
    > >a major pain in the ass to replace motherboards with this problem, My
    > >recommendation is to switch to more reliable manufacturers.
    > >

    > Not to nitpick, but DFI has never been known to be particularly reliable
    > compared to the larger brands. I would still be more likley to buy an
    > Epox than DFI. Hopefully you're using decent power supplies, as generics
    > are quite likely to accelerate capacitor demise, as is inadequate chassis
    > cooling. I'm not trying to lay blame here, rather that you've had your
    > share of board failures already and keeping these things as optimal as
    > possible should help to prolong the life of any board.

Epox Hardware Motherboards