8RDA3+ and SATA problem

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital WD800JD
80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.

The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled "Sil
3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter the
RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally. I've
tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data cables,
and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is a
DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no cards
except the video card installed.

While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro to
partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is starting
Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing F6
during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.

The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for SATA
RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be certain
from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even supported,
but it must be -- right?

As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard, I
can't test each with "known good" components.

Any ideas?

Hi, that sounds like a bad sata board to me, but try putting the DVD drive
on primary instead of secondary. Don't know if it will help but maybe the
bios is hung up looking for primary.

Doug
www.lynncomp.com
Epox authorized direct reseller

"TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital WD800JD
> 80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.
>
> The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled "Sil
> 3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
> SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
> primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter the
> RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally.
I've
> tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data cables,
> and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is a
> DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no cards
> except the video card installed.
>
> While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro to
> partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
starting
> Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing F6
> during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
> diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
>
> The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
SATA
> RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be certain
> from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even supported,
> but it must be -- right?
>
> As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard, I
> can't test each with "known good" components.
>
> Any ideas?

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Thanks. Tried it, no luck.

By "bad sata board" I guess you mean the motherboard -- I am not using a
SATA card.

TomC

"Doug & Raye Lynn" <drlynn@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi, that sounds like a bad sata board to me, but try putting the DVD drive
> on primary instead of secondary. Don't know if it will help but maybe the
> bios is hung up looking for primary.
>
> Doug
> www.lynncomp.com
> Epox authorized direct reseller
>
> "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> > I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital
WD800JD
> > 80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.
> >
> > The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled "Sil
> > 3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
> > SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
> > primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter
the
> > RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally.
> I've
> > tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data
cables,
> > and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is a
> > DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no
cards
> > except the video card installed.
> >
> > While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro to
> > partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
> starting
> > Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing
F6
> > during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
> > diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
> >
> > The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
> SATA
> > RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be
certain
> > from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even
supported,
> > but it must be -- right?
> >
> > As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard, I
> > can't test each with "known good" components.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Tom

The SATA does support non RAID mode. But if the SATA BIOS does not even see
the drive attached then there is a serious hardware issue. Check that any
jumpers on the drive are configured properly (left at default). Try another
SATA port and another cable.

Technical Support Department
EPoX International, Inc.
support@epox.com
www.epox.com

Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

"TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital WD800JD
> 80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.
>
> The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled "Sil
> 3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
> SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
> primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter the
> RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally.
I've
> tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data cables,
> and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is a
> DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no cards
> except the video card installed.
>
> While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro to
> partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
starting
> Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing F6
> during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
> diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
>
> The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
SATA
> RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be certain
> from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even supported,
> but it must be -- right?
>
> As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard, I
> can't test each with "known good" components.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi, yes bad SATA on motherboard, you might try upgrading the bios from bios
flash program, I believe its f2 after reseting computer, just put and bios
on floppy disk and reset and hit f2 right after bios signs on.

www.lynncomp.com

> Thanks. Tried it, no luck.
>
> By "bad sata board" I guess you mean the motherboard -- I am not using a
> SATA card.
>
> TomC
>
> "Doug & Raye Lynn" <drlynn@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, that sounds like a bad sata board to me, but try putting the DVD
>> drive
>> on primary instead of secondary. Don't know if it will help but maybe the
>> bios is hung up looking for primary.
>>
>> Doug
>> www.lynncomp.com
>> Epox authorized direct reseller
>>
>> "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
>> > I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital
> WD800JD
>> > 80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.
>> >
>> > The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled
>> > "Sil
>> > 3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
>> > SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
>> > primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter
> the
>> > RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally.
>> I've
>> > tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data
> cables,
>> > and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is
>> > DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no
> cards
>> > except the video card installed.
>> >
>> > While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro
>> > partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
>> starting
>> > Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing
> F6
>> > during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
>> > diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
>> >
>> > The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
>> SATA
>> > RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be
> certain
>> > from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even
> supported,
>> > but it must be -- right?
>> >
>> > As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard,
>> > can't test each with "known good" components.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Thanks, but it already had the latest BIOS.

I tried flashing an earlier bios (8-27-03) but that did not help.

I tracked down the last computer I built using an 8RDA3+, and it immediately
detected the SATA drive, so this looks like a motherboard problem. Of the
four Epox boards I have used, one (an 8RGA+) died after eight months for no
apparent reason, and now this.

I intended to shift from using mainly Soyo boards to using mainly Epox, not
sure what I'll do now.

TomC

"Lynn Computer Products" <sales@lynncomp.com> wrote in message
> Hi, yes bad SATA on motherboard, you might try upgrading the bios from
bios
> flash program, I believe its f2 after reseting computer, just put and bios
> on floppy disk and reset and hit f2 right after bios signs on.
>
> www.lynncomp.com
>
> "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> > Thanks. Tried it, no luck.
> >
> > By "bad sata board" I guess you mean the motherboard -- I am not using a
> > SATA card.
> >
> > TomC
> >
> > "Doug & Raye Lynn" <drlynn@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi, that sounds like a bad sata board to me, but try putting the DVD
> >> drive
> >> on primary instead of secondary. Don't know if it will help but maybe
the
> >> bios is hung up looking for primary.
> >>
> >> Doug
> >> www.lynncomp.com
> >> Epox authorized direct reseller
> >>
> >> "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> > WD800JD

> > the
> >> I've
> > cables,
> > cards

> >> starting
> > F6

> >> SATA
> > certain
> > supported,

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Thanks. The Western Digital drive is detected perfectly well by another
8RDA3+, so I think you are right about the "serious hardware issue". I have
tried both SATA ports, two SATA cables, and two BIOS's. Unless someone has a
better idea, I think this mobo is going back to its vendor.

TomC

"EPoX Tech" <support@epox.com> wrote in message
> Tom
>
> The SATA does support non RAID mode. But if the SATA BIOS does not even
see
> the drive attached then there is a serious hardware issue. Check that any
> jumpers on the drive are configured properly (left at default). Try
another
> SATA port and another cable.

> Technical Support Department
> EPoX International, Inc.
> support@epox.com
> www.epox.com
>
> Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
> BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com
>
> "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> > I am trying to set up a new system with an 8RDA3+, Western Digital
WD800JD
> > 80GB serial ATA HD, Barton 2500, and 512 MB Crucial PC-3200B DDRAM.
> >
> > The SATA drive is not recognized by the motherboard. I have enabled "Sil
> > 3112 Serial ATA" in the "Integrated Periphersls" page of the BIOS, set
> > SCSI/SATA as a boot device, but get a "Drive not found" message for the
> > primary and secondary SATA channels during boot. Pressing F4 to enter
the
> > RAID BIOS setup has no effect. The drive appears to power up normally.
> I've
> > tried the SATA cables on both channels. I have tried two SATA data
cables,
> > and tried both a SATA power cable and a "legacy" power cable. There is a
> > DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE channel, nothing on the primary, and no
cards
> > except the video card installed.
> >
> > While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro to
> > partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
> starting
> > Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing
F6
> > during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
> > diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
> >
> > The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
> SATA
> > RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be
certain
> > from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even
supported,
> > but it must be -- right?
> >
> > As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard, I
> > can't test each with "known good" components.
> >
> > Any ideas?

HI, well as far as we are concerned Epox boards are good, we sold thousands
of them. Soyo is ok too.

doug
www.lynncomp.com
epox direct reseller

> [...]
>> >
>> > While I had little hope that it would work, I tried to get Win XP Pro
>> > partition and format the drive, but installation hangs at "Setup is
>> starting
>> > Windows", although I load the Silicon Image SATA driver after pressing
> F6
>> > during installation. I have also tried the Western Digital dldiag.exe
>> > diagnostics program, but it hangs during boot.
>> >
>> > The motherboard / chipset documentation and the driver provided is for
>> SATA
>> > RAID, and not the use of a single SATA drive. In fact, I can't be
> certain
>> > from the documentation that use of a single SATA drive is even
> supported,
>> > but it must be -- right?
>> >
>> > As I have access to only one SATA hard drive and one SATA motherboard,
>> > can't test each with "known good" components.

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I wish there were some statistics available on motherboard reliability. I
don't suppose that you would share your return rate for different
manufacturers? Probably not, but I would like to know. I don't much care if
a motherboard only has last year's features, or that it is a third slower
that its fastest competitor, or that it costs a third more -- I mostly care
that it doesn't waste my time or my clients' time by failing.