WinXP won't recognize old Win98 Hard Disk

October 8, 2004 7:43:02 PM

Old computer failure
Decided to just buy a new computer
I need to get files off old Windows 98 hard drive
Take Windows 98 hard drive out
Set Jumper on hard drive is set as a slave
Connect old windows 98 hard drive to new computer
running XP Home Edition
Start up computer
Did not auto-detect new hardware, but appears in Bios
Both drives set to Auto
Hard drive does not show up in Explorer
Go to Settings=>Control Panel=>Administrative
Tools=>Computer Management
Storage=>Disk Management
Hard Drive listed by brand name, but not assigned drive letter

> >| Only option when I right click on the partition to add
> >| is "Delete Partition"
> >| Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what I need to do
> >| to see this old hard drive?

I borrowed the description of someone else's problem for my own, hope it
wasn't copywrited (Thanks, PG) Tried Cable Select as per previous
suggestion, but then XP refuses to see the old 98 disk. I'm at a loss.
suggestions?
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 8:00:36 PM

Check the format of the Win98 disk - IIRC W2000 and later
don't recognize FAT16. Not an issue if the drive is over
2.1 G - then it must be FAT32.

Mike

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 9:31:03 PM

It's FAT32 (sorry, I should've specified), and 10GB

"Michael Pardee" wrote:

> Check the format of the Win98 disk - IIRC W2000 and later
> don't recognize FAT16. Not an issue if the drive is over
> 2.1 G - then it must be FAT32.
>
> Mike

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:52:40 AM

In Disk Management, does it give you the option to to assign a drive
letter? If not, then just 'Delete the partition'. Then you can format
it and have it available in Windows XP. It is seeing it if it's in Disk
Management, but since it doesn't have a volume letter specification, it
won't show up in Explorer.

Unless there's a lot of data on it that you need, that sounds like the
only way you'll get to use it.

devhead

!