Epox 8KHA+ copmpatible with windows xp ?

Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running windows 98
SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to windows XP - for
a bit more stability. Two questions:

1. Epox advises me that they cannot guarantee the board is fully compatible
with windows xp since it was developed prior to that operating system. Is
this true? I see many people out there with xp b ut wonder if this will be
an issue.

2. I have the bios f rom March 02 and not the latest one - do I need the
latest to run windows xp home edition? I can do the upgrade but again am
trying to minimize problems since I do not want to restore the data etc on
this computer.

appreciate thoughts

AL

---
More about epox 8kha copmpatible windows
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I have an 8KHA+ running WinXP. Athlon XP2400+. Works great. This has
    been a very trouble free motherboard.

    Alan wrote:
    > Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running windows 98
    > SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to windows XP - for
    > a bit more stability. Two questions:
    >
    > 1. Epox advises me that they cannot guarantee the board is fully compatible
    > with windows xp since it was developed prior to that operating system. Is
    > this true? I see many people out there with xp b ut wonder if this will be
    > an issue.
    >
    > 2. I have the bios f rom March 02 and not the latest one - do I need the
    > latest to run windows xp home edition? I can do the upgrade but again am
    > trying to minimize problems since I do not want to restore the data etc on
    > this computer.
    >
    > appreciate thoughts
    >
    > AL
    >

    > ---

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Dick" <boetard@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > I have an 8KHA+ running WinXP. Athlon XP2400+. Works great. This has
    > been a very trouble free motherboard.

    Same here. I don't think you need the newest bios unless you have a very
    modern CPU on it like a Athlon XP 2400+.

    Jan
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Alan wrote:
    > Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running
    > windows 98 SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to
    > windows XP - for a bit more stability. Two questions:

    If your system isn't reliable, it would be best to try and find out why.
    Switching to XP may be even more of a test for slightly flaky h/ware!

    Have you checked out your electrolytic capacitors for leakages?

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    all
    very encouraging, thanks.

    alan

    "Windmolen" <windmolen@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > Alan wrote:
    > > > Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running windows
    > 98
    > > > SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to windows
    XP -
    > for
    > > > a bit more stability. Two questions:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Epox advises me that they cannot guarantee the board is fully
    > compatible
    > > > with windows xp since it was developed prior to that operating system.
    > Is
    > > > this true? I see many people out there with xp b ut wonder if this
    will
    > be
    > > > an issue.
    > > >
    > > > 2. I have the bios f rom March 02 and not the latest one - do I need
    > the
    > > > latest to run windows xp home edition? I can do the upgrade but again
    > am
    > > > trying to minimize problems since I do not want to restore the data
    etc
    > on
    > > > this computer.
    > > >
    > > > appreciate thoughts
    > > >
    > > > AL
    > > >

    > "Dick" <boetard@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > > I have an 8KHA+ running WinXP. Athlon XP2400+. Works great. This has
    > > been a very trouble free motherboard.
    >
    > Same here. I don't think you need the newest bios unless you have a very
    > modern CPU on it like a Athlon XP 2400+.
    >
    > Jan

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Alan" <moskowa1NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running windows 98
    | SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to windows XP -
    for
    | a bit more stability. Two questions:
    |
    | 1. Epox advises me that they cannot guarantee the board is fully
    compatible
    | with windows xp since it was developed prior to that operating system. Is
    | this true? I see many people out there with xp b ut wonder if this will be
    | an issue.
    |
    | 2. I have the bios f rom March 02 and not the latest one - do I need the
    | latest to run windows xp home edition? I can do the upgrade but again am
    | trying to minimize problems since I do not want to restore the data etc on
    | this computer.
    |
    | appreciate thoughts
    |
    | AL
    |

    | ---

    Depending upon your cpu and what you are trying to do, you may want to
    update your BIOS for a faster one. Take normal care and a BIOS update is not
    problem. I updated my Athlon 1200 to an XP2100 on my faithful 8K7A+ when I
    changed to XP as XP can bog down on a slow cpu. It runs fine with the 2100,.
    John
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> schreef in bericht
    > Alan wrote:
    > > Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running
    > > windows 98 SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to
    > > windows XP - for a bit more stability. Two questions:
    > >

    > If your system isn't reliable, it would be best to try and find out why.
    > Switching to XP may be even more of a test for slightly flaky h/ware!
    >
    > Have you checked out your electrolytic capacitors for leakages?
    >

    > --
    > Graham W

    I often read about the leaking capacitors. Where do I need to look exactly?

    Jan
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    | "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> schreef in bericht
    | > Alan wrote:
    | > > Have a home built computer with the Epox 8KHA+ board running
    | > > windows 98 SE. All is OK for 2 years but am thinking about moving to
    | > > windows XP - for a bit more stability. Two questions:
    | > >

    | > If your system isn't reliable, it would be best to try and find out why.
    | > Switching to XP may be even more of a test for slightly flaky h/ware!
    | >
    | > Have you checked out your electrolytic capacitors for leakages?
    | >

    | > --
    | > Graham W
    |
    | I often read about the leaking capacitors. Where do I need to look
    exactly?

    | Jan

    Hmm, I used to have a url. A google search may help. A guy named homey had a
    page advertising he could replace them with lots of pictures.

    Can you recognise an electrolytic capacitor? On your mother board they are
    typically the larger tubular devices covered with a coloured vinyl sleeve
    and attached to the board by two wires out of the bottom. There are usually
    lots of them in different sizes.

    If they are good they are a regular cylinder with no visible goo or paste
    around them. If faulty they may be bulging due to internal pressure and may
    have leaked some goo. There is a rubber bung where the wires come out and
    goo is often forced out around the rubber, but sometimes the metal case
    splits and goo appears at the top from under the vinyl sleeve.

    HTH John

    If they are bad, it is usually fairly obvious. A good torch is all you need.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    > all
    > very encouraging, thanks.
    >
    > alan

    Me too on XP since a week - same mobo, 2200+ CPU, 512MB ram, perfectly
    stable and no trouble to date! My 98SE system was perfectly stable as well.
    XP is faster and more responsive than 98SE and games run even better on it.
    However, XP is pretty bare boned - just one kiddie blue-skin and one default
    sound scheme. Copy sound schemes over from 98SE and skins are available on
    the Internet as well as the hack which enables installing unsigned skins
    (themes).

Epox Computer Windows XP Motherboards