cd rom wont read the disk

I have a dell computer with two cd rom drives. If I put a disk in the D
drive it tells me there is no disk present. Any Ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about wont read disk

    What CD software do you have [such as Nero, Roxio..].

    In some cases windows explorer will not recognise any media or data on the
    disk, however the CD software does.

    I don't know why, but have seen this on some PCs. My fix was to uninstall
    the 3rd party software product and install another which worked.

    "Balloonguy" wrote:

    > I have a dell computer with two cd rom drives. If I put a disk in the D
    > drive it tells me there is no disk present. Any Ideas?

    drive. installed xp and drives will read a data disk but
    if i insert blank disk for back up the drive tells me
    there is no disk in drive. tried everything i could
    think of. i'm sol right now. also that screen that used
    to pop up that asked me what i wanted to do when i
    inserted a disk no longer pops up. have to access a data
    disk by clicking on drive letter.

    I have this problem too (kinda)...
    If I insert a CD containing data into any of my cd/dvd/cd-rw drives, Windows
    XP treats it like a blank CD.
    However if i restart the computer with the CD still in the drive everything
    will be fixed for a short while (until i remove the CD again).

    The problem is only with Windows and programs that use the defult windows
    method of opening files (file > open). But if you use a program with its own
    file opening program (i.e. itunes, nero, and sound forge's misic ripping
    frature) it reads the cd content as normal.

    any help on how to repair this problem will cause me to fall deaply in love
    with you, please help.

    I had the same problem and fixed it just now useing the mothod i found in
    the descussion below.

    my problem was with my USB-Flash-drive (aka thumb drive or pen drive) the
    software (u-storage) that came with the drive was causeing the problem,
    uninstalling it fixed everything and the usb-flash-drive still works without
    it.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&tid=b6551cf4-0246-444c-88ae-5a1e2d2d0609&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1

Hardware CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP