cd rom wont read the disk

I have a dell computer with two cd rom drives. If I put a disk in the D
drive it tells me there is no disk present. Any Ideas?

bar

What CD software do you have [such as Nero, Roxio..].

In some cases windows explorer will not recognise any media or data on the
disk, however the CD software does.

I don't know why, but have seen this on some PCs. My fix was to uninstall
the 3rd party software product and install another which worked.

"Balloonguy" wrote:

> I have a dell computer with two cd rom drives. If I put a disk in the D
> drive it tells me there is no disk present. Any Ideas?

Jim

drive. installed xp and drives will read a data disk but
if i insert blank disk for back up the drive tells me
there is no disk in drive. tried everything i could
think of. i'm sol right now. also that screen that used
to pop up that asked me what i wanted to do when i
inserted a disk no longer pops up. have to access a data
disk by clicking on drive letter.

I have this problem too (kinda)...
If I insert a CD containing data into any of my cd/dvd/cd-rw drives, Windows
XP treats it like a blank CD.
However if i restart the computer with the CD still in the drive everything
will be fixed for a short while (until i remove the CD again).

The problem is only with Windows and programs that use the defult windows
method of opening files (file > open). But if you use a program with its own
file opening program (i.e. itunes, nero, and sound forge's misic ripping
frature) it reads the cd content as normal.

any help on how to repair this problem will cause me to fall deaply in love
with you, please help.

I had the same problem and fixed it just now useing the mothod i found in
the descussion below.

my problem was with my USB-Flash-drive (aka thumb drive or pen drive) the
software (u-storage) that came with the drive was causeing the problem,
uninstalling it fixed everything and the usb-flash-drive still works without
it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&tid=b6551cf4-0246-444c-88ae-5a1e2d2d0609&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1