SATA and IDE problem

I have a gigabyte motherboard using intel 875P chipset.It has ICH5R
also,which means additional support of 2 SATA devices.I have 1 SATA hard disk
and 2 Optical Drives fitted to the secondary IDE.Recently,I bought another 2
optical drives and fixed them into the primary IDE.By default,the sata hard
disk device is mapped to primary ide by the bios when there is no primary ide
devices.But now,it is stated as "IDE channel 2".In any case, xp will attempt
to install 2 primary & secondary ide (SATA & IDE),which means i am unable to
install my optical drives properly because of this.In the device manager,i
will have primary ide,secodary ide,ide(error) & ide(error).Any fix for this?
By the way,i've attempted to update the chipset driver as well.I am also
unable to find any relevant fixes on microsoft's web which can fix
this.Someone help me?

bar

Your best answers will come from Gigabyte.

The Mobo has two SATA ports plus two IDE Controller Interfaces.

The Mobo manual and the SATA controller manuals will provide the answer to
your questions.

If you can't find the information in the user manuals, then send an email to
gigabyte. They should provide you the solution or information regarding the
architecural [hardware] or programatical [software] restrictions on the Mobo
/ BIOS which prevent you installing 4 optical drives and 2 SATA drives.

"iCeRn" wrote:

> I have a gigabyte motherboard using intel 875P chipset.It has ICH5R
> also,which means additional support of 2 SATA devices.I have 1 SATA hard disk
> and 2 Optical Drives fitted to the secondary IDE.Recently,I bought another 2
> optical drives and fixed them into the primary IDE.By default,the sata hard
> disk device is mapped to primary ide by the bios when there is no primary ide
> devices.But now,it is stated as "IDE channel 2".In any case, xp will attempt
> to install 2 primary & secondary ide (SATA & IDE),which means i am unable to
> install my optical drives properly because of this.In the device manager,i
> will have primary ide,secodary ide,ide(error) & ide(error).Any fix for this?
> By the way,i've attempted to update the chipset driver as well.I am also
> unable to find any relevant fixes on microsoft's web which can fix
> this.Someone help me?

Len

I don't see where you have mentioned your OS but will assume it is XP. The
other responder has the best answer (check with MB mfg for info) but I can
say that the problem "MAY" be in the CMOS setup.

Certain BIOS chips associated with the ICHRx family allow for two modes of
operation for attached drives. One is compatablity which is usually the
default and the other enhanced. Compatability is for the older OS's such as
Win9x & NT4 - has something to do with limitations of the system with
respect to seeing multiple drives on the Intel ICHRx controller.

To have all of my drives properly seen I had to make sure the setting was
for "Enhanced" in this option. This would cause the problem you are
mentioning if the option is set to "Compatability". BTW, changing settings
in the CMOS can be dangerous territory! If you are unsure of how to do this
try getting assistance. Making changes that are not supported in CMOS can
result in an unusable system!

Good Luck,
Len

"iCeRn" <iCeRn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a gigabyte motherboard using intel 875P chipset.It has ICH5R
> also,which means additional support of 2 SATA devices.I have 1 SATA hard
> disk
> and 2 Optical Drives fitted to the secondary IDE.Recently,I bought another
> 2
> optical drives and fixed them into the primary IDE.By default,the sata
> hard
> disk device is mapped to primary ide by the bios when there is no primary
> ide
> devices.But now,it is stated as "IDE channel 2".In any case, xp will
> attempt
> to install 2 primary & secondary ide (SATA & IDE),which means i am unable
> install my optical drives properly because of this.In the device manager,i
> will have primary ide,secodary ide,ide(error) & ide(error).Any fix for
> this?
> By the way,i've attempted to update the chipset driver as well.I am also
> unable to find any relevant fixes on microsoft's web which can fix
> this.Someone help me?

Yes,I'm using Windows XP. I do not think it is a problem with my CMOS.There
is no such option by the way.My system detects all my drives in the POST.Same
goes for Windows XP.But the problem now is that the IDE devices are not
installed properly but rather with a conflict due to the SATA hard disk which
is installed as "Primary IDE Channel"(SATA0),"Secondary IDE Channel"(SATA1/No
Device) and my IDE devices are all installed as "IDE Channel" with
error(Exclamation mark on it).I guess the issue is because there is no such
thing as a tertiary IDE channel.

"Len" wrote:

> I don't see where you have mentioned your OS but will assume it is XP. The
> other responder has the best answer (check with MB mfg for info) but I can
> say that the problem "MAY" be in the CMOS setup.
>
> Certain BIOS chips associated with the ICHRx family allow for two modes of
> operation for attached drives. One is compatablity which is usually the
> default and the other enhanced. Compatability is for the older OS's such as
> Win9x & NT4 - has something to do with limitations of the system with
> respect to seeing multiple drives on the Intel ICHRx controller.
>
> To have all of my drives properly seen I had to make sure the setting was
> for "Enhanced" in this option. This would cause the problem you are
> mentioning if the option is set to "Compatability". BTW, changing settings
> in the CMOS can be dangerous territory! If you are unsure of how to do this
> try getting assistance. Making changes that are not supported in CMOS can
> result in an unusable system!
>
> Good Luck,
> Len
>
> "iCeRn" <iCeRn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a gigabyte motherboard using intel 875P chipset.It has ICH5R
> > also,which means additional support of 2 SATA devices.I have 1 SATA hard
> > disk
> > and 2 Optical Drives fitted to the secondary IDE.Recently,I bought another
> > 2
> > optical drives and fixed them into the primary IDE.By default,the sata
> > hard
> > disk device is mapped to primary ide by the bios when there is no primary
> > ide
> > devices.But now,it is stated as "IDE channel 2".In any case, xp will
> > attempt
> > to install 2 primary & secondary ide (SATA & IDE),which means i am unable
> > install my optical drives properly because of this.In the device manager,i
> > will have primary ide,secodary ide,ide(error) & ide(error).Any fix for
> > this?
> > By the way,i've attempted to update the chipset driver as well.I am also
> > unable to find any relevant fixes on microsoft's web which can fix
> > this.Someone help me?

Think this is a quick fix
see if it helps
email me if it works pder90@shaw.ca
go to your ide ata/aatapi controllers
there should be 2 controllers
click on the corresponding controller and update it.
window will ask to connect to window update... no
install from a list advance
don't search. i will choose the driver to install
select intel ultra ata storage controllers -24db
restart and you are at ultra dma 5.. but faster
all done... don't forget to mail me if it helped

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 20:39:02 -0700, "iCeRn"