Monitor keeps switching off

My monitor has started switching itself off for no apparent reason!
Before I try swapping it for one off my old W98 PC, I'm posting to see
if anyone can advise whether it really does seem to be a hardware
rather than software issue? I have to press the switch twice to get it
back on again each time it happens.

FWIW, it first occurred while I was making a partition copy with Drive
Image 2002 yesterday (first time I've done that for nearly 2 years).
That process reboots into something called 'Caldera DR DOS' to do all
the copying.

I thought at first it was just some setting that powered off the
monitor after some period of 'inactivity'. But that's not the case, as
it has happened several times since while using the PC. This morning
it even happened while I was inspecting BIOS settings (another very
rare event for me).

This Mesh Athlon 1800 512 MB PC uses a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated please.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Would it have been faster to switch monitors or to post here and wait for an
answer?.. you are in the lucky position of being able to try another
monitor, so do it.. if the problem goes away, get the original monitor
checked out.. if it doesn't, post back here and tell us that it happens with
any monitor..

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> My monitor has started switching itself off for no apparent reason!
> Before I try swapping it for one off my old W98 PC, I'm posting to see
> if anyone can advise whether it really does seem to be a hardware
> rather than software issue? I have to press the switch twice to get it
> back on again each time it happens.
>
> FWIW, it first occurred while I was making a partition copy with Drive
> Image 2002 yesterday (first time I've done that for nearly 2 years).
> That process reboots into something called 'Caldera DR DOS' to do all
> the copying.
>
> I thought at first it was just some setting that powered off the
> monitor after some period of 'inactivity'. But that's not the case, as
> it has happened several times since while using the PC. This morning
> it even happened while I was inspecting BIOS settings (another very
> rare event for me).
>
> This Mesh Athlon 1800 512 MB PC uses a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920.
>
> Any help or advice would be much appreciated please.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

Not sure why Mike is assuming that you have the ability to switch
monitors...I must have missed something. However, if there is anyone that
you know that would lend you their monitor for a few minutes, that would
certainly be the easiest route to determine the problem. I can't imagine how
it would have anything to do with DI'02 or DOS...but who knows. I would try
updating the monitor drivers & graphics card drivers, check the screen
REFRESH rate (you should DEFINITELY checkmark the box that says "hide modes
that this monitor cannot display.") I am thinking that it is some mechanism
inside the monitor like an over-volt or protection circuit of some kind,
possibly telling you that you're monitor is soon needing to be
replaced/fixed. But swapping it out with a different one is the surest way
to find out.

This line gave it away.. "Before I try swapping it for one off my old W98
PC.. "

"soundsgood2me" <soundsgood2me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not sure why Mike is assuming that you have the ability to switch
> monitors...I must have missed something. However, if there is anyone that
> you know that would lend you their monitor for a few minutes, that would
> certainly be the easiest route to determine the problem. I can't imagine
> how
> it would have anything to do with DI'02 or DOS...but who knows. I would
> try
> updating the monitor drivers & graphics card drivers, check the screen
> REFRESH rate (you should DEFINITELY checkmark the box that says "hide
> modes
> that this monitor cannot display.") I am thinking that it is some
> mechanism
> inside the monitor like an over-volt or protection circuit of some kind,
> possibly telling you that you're monitor is soon needing to be
> replaced/fixed. But swapping it out with a different one is the surest
> way
> to find out.

"soundsgood2me" <soundsgood2me@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Not sure why Mike is assuming that you have the ability to switch
>monitors...I must have missed something. However, if there is anyone that
>you know that would lend you their monitor for a few minutes, that would
>certainly be the easiest route to determine the problem. I can't imagine how
>it would have anything to do with DI'02 or DOS...but who knows. I would try
>updating the monitor drivers & graphics card drivers, check the screen
>REFRESH rate (you should DEFINITELY checkmark the box that says "hide modes
>that this monitor cannot display.") I am thinking that it is some mechanism
>inside the monitor like an over-volt or protection circuit of some kind,
>possibly telling you that you're monitor is soon needing to be
>replaced/fixed. But swapping it out with a different one is the surest way
>to find out.

OK, thanks. It hasn't re-occurred for a couple of hours. Which
reinforces my impression that it *may* be software/drivers/BIOS
related (the fact it happened 'before' Windows was up, and while in
BIOS...). But I'm guessing.

Installing the monitor from my old W98 PC won't be trivial, as it's in
my shed/workshop.

I also thought it might be due to some inadvertently screwed up power
management setting? They appear to exist in both BIOS and Control
Panel, and presumably interact, even without some glitch occurring.
Lot of odd things happening on this PC right now; seems sensible to
assume they might just have something in common before I leap to
conclusion it must be hardware.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK