Direct3d wont run in dxdiag test it fails saying a key pre..

My Sister has a Home built pc consisting of Asus P4S800 Motherboard, onboard
sound , 512mg ram , 2 maxtor 120 mg harddrives , 2dvd drives , 1 floppy
drive , Generic Geforce2 mx/mx400 64meg graphics card .. winxp prof ( sp2
applied) directx9c installed

Machine as run for several month no problems . Since trying to use directx
games have found they are not working . Just trying to get Majhonng
playing but all driect3d fails . so its not just this game .

Have run Directx dxdaig which starts and says all systems work but if you
run the display button to test direct3d d7, d8,d9 fail saying a key has been
pressed . But no key pressed .

Have installed nvidia 61.77 xp drivers , latest agp driver for motherboard
chipset.but still no joy.

Have tried searching internet and note a common thread of this type of
problem or similiar, so as anyone out there got the answer ?

Do please tell , help appreciated.......
5 answers Last reply
More about direct3d wont dxdiag test fails

    I would suggest replacing the old Generic Geforce2 mx/mx400
    64meg graphics card with a newer one, such as a NVIDIA GeForce
    FX 5200 model (128MB).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Jim Jacks" wrote:

    | My Sister has a Home built pc consisting of Asus P4S800 Motherboard, onboard
    | sound , 512mg ram , 2 maxtor 120 mg harddrives , 2dvd drives , 1 floppy
    | drive , Generic Geforce2 mx/mx400 64meg graphics card .. winxp prof ( sp2
    | applied) directx9c installed
    |

    | Machine as run for several month no problems . Since trying to use directx
    | games have found they are not working . Just trying to get Majhonng
    | playing but all driect3d fails . so its not just this game .
    |
    | Have run Directx dxdaig which starts and says all systems work but if you
    | run the display button to test direct3d d7, d8,d9 fail saying a key has been
    | pressed . But no key pressed .
    |
    | Have installed nvidia 61.77 xp drivers , latest agp driver for motherboard
    | chipset.but still no joy.
    |
    | Have tried searching internet and note a common thread of this type of
    | problem or similiar, so as anyone out there got the answer ?
    |
    | Do please tell , help appreciated.......

    Thank you for reply

    I was considering a similair option of taking machine to my house and trying
    my fx5200 in machine but was hoping there was a easy answer rather than spend
    the £35 to £45 pound for a new grpahics card (128mg fx5200) the original
    card is a perfectly good working card, shame it seems that latest directx or
    drivers refuse to work with them ..

    I think its a siftware bug as ive found that if i go to the nvidia adapter
    panel then click the troubleshooting tab and start decreasing the
    accellerated hardware sometimes the direct8 or 9 test works and the spinning
    cube with green x shows but only sometimes . So its a software bug to my
    mind maybe.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > I would suggest replacing the old Generic Geforce2 mx/mx400
    > 64meg graphics card with a newer one, such as a NVIDIA GeForce
    > FX 5200 model (128MB).
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Jim Jacks" wrote:
    >
    > | My Sister has a Home built pc consisting of Asus P4S800 Motherboard, onboard
    > | sound , 512mg ram , 2 maxtor 120 mg harddrives , 2dvd drives , 1 floppy
    > | drive , Generic Geforce2 mx/mx400 64meg graphics card .. winxp prof ( sp2
    > | applied) directx9c installed
    > |

    > | Machine as run for several month no problems . Since trying to use directx
    > | games have found they are not working . Just trying to get Majhonng
    > | playing but all driect3d fails . so its not just this game .
    > |
    > | Have run Directx dxdaig which starts and says all systems work but if you
    > | run the display button to test direct3d d7, d8,d9 fail saying a key has been
    > | pressed . But no key pressed .
    > |
    > | Have installed nvidia 61.77 xp drivers , latest agp driver for motherboard
    > | chipset.but still no joy.
    > |
    > | Have tried searching internet and note a common thread of this type of
    > | problem or similiar, so as anyone out there got the answer ?
    > |
    > | Do please tell , help appreciated.......

    Well Story so far .

    Ive installed my fx5200 card which wors completely fine on my pc but will
    not run direct3d on my Sisters .

    I have put her card in mine (generic geforce2 mx/mx400 and it works fine on
    my pc in direct3d) .........................So its something screwing the
    configuration on her pc.

    I have re-installed latest agp drivers for her asus p4s800 borad but still
    no dirct3d , have reinstalled nvidia drivers 61.77 , still does not work .
    have tried omega nvidia drivers but still does not work .

    I will have to download all of directx9c and trying installing to damn thing
    again , 33mb by 56k modem aint fun .............................Having to use
    getright.

    Will mention if anything works ................

    Well ive solved it myself . Her pc is now returned to her and working ok
    and the 3d majohnng game is running fine now. and direct3d passes the dxdaig
    tests.

    I ran re-install directx9c but it just said finished and dxdiag direct3d
    test failed

    I re-installed sp2 pack 2 and again direct3d dxdiag test for direct3d failed

    At each point i made sure i closed down any running programmes on right side
    of taskbar.

    Well finally while closing programmes and through trial and error i found
    the one causing the problem , it was the programme for the wireless keyboard
    and mouse my sister uses. At my house i used a plug in ps2 mouse and
    keyboard. The programme was MediaKey , by a company called dirtek, if i
    remember right with a copyright of year 2000. I have uninstalled the damn
    thing and now she is using a plug in keyboard and plug in opitcal Mouse .
    All systems are go and now everything works ............................

    I have put this solution here in the hope it aids other users

    Bye.....

    JimJacks

    JimJacks alias Icky Block for president

    many thanks JimJacks, after several months of heartache, your suggestion that
    the wireless keyboard could be at fault as save the day . My turbomedia
    wireless keyboard was stopping the direct3d from working. once uninstalled
    all was well

    "JimJacks alias Icky Block for president" wrote:

    > Well ive solved it myself . Her pc is now returned to her and working ok
    > and the 3d majohnng game is running fine now. and direct3d passes the dxdaig
    > tests.
    >
    > I ran re-install directx9c but it just said finished and dxdiag direct3d
    > test failed
    >
    > I re-installed sp2 pack 2 and again direct3d dxdiag test for direct3d failed
    >
    > At each point i made sure i closed down any running programmes on right side
    > of taskbar.
    >
    > Well finally while closing programmes and through trial and error i found
    > the one causing the problem , it was the programme for the wireless keyboard
    > and mouse my sister uses. At my house i used a plug in ps2 mouse and
    > keyboard. The programme was MediaKey , by a company called dirtek, if i
    > remember right with a copyright of year 2000. I have uninstalled the damn
    > thing and now she is using a plug in keyboard and plug in opitcal Mouse .
    > All systems are go and now everything works ............................
    >
    > I have put this solution here in the hope it aids other users
    >
    > Bye.....
    >
    > JimJacks
    >
    > JimJacks alias Icky Block for president

Windows XP