Are pocket Excel files synced by selecting 'Files' in Acti..

July 5, 2004 1:42:38 AM

If so, where can they be found on my PC? If not, how do I sync them?

TIA
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 1:42:39 AM

>> by selecting 'Files' in ActiveSync? <<

Yes, that, plus placing the excel files in your device's "sync folder"
on your PC.

Careful!!! complex Excel files will loose advanced features when synced
back to the PC, so don't put your only copy of an important file in the
sync folder.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 2:20:59 AM

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:

> >> by selecting 'Files' in ActiveSync? <<
>
> Yes, that, plus placing the excel files in your device's "sync folder"
> on your PC.

Thanks. Looked again and there they were, along with all my notes, that
I had not been able to sync to Outlook (except, strangely, for one).

So, it appears that you cannot sync Excel (to desktop) and Notes to
Outlook. Am I correct here?

> Careful!!! complex Excel files will loose advanced features when synced
> back to the PC, so don't put your only copy of an important file in the
> sync folder.

Thanks for the warning. However, my Pocket Excel files are as simple as
I am <g>.

July 5, 2004 2:21:00 AM

>> So, it appears that you cannot sync Excel (to desktop) and Notes to
Outlook. Am I correct here? <<

errrr... no... Activesync syncs any files, including Excel files if the
"files" option is checked.

If by "desktop" you mean the desktop folder on your pc, you are
correct... only the files in or below your sync folder will be maintained.

>> Notes <<

Yes, they should sync to outlook (not outlook express, but you got a
free copy of outlook with your pocketpc)

Take a look at http://BevHoward.com/ASync.htm#Notes and
http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Record for some more information about
these strange files.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 3:12:06 AM

"Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> If so, where can they be found on my PC? If not, how do I sync them?
>
> TIA

They have a file name?
Windows has a search function (Start, Find)

Guess what you can do with these 2 bits of information?

(Mine are placed in a folder in My Documents where the name starts off with
the Device name I've given my pda in Settings, System, About, Device ID tab.
Perhaps yours is? )

But they will only be synced if they are in the default directory used for
files, not if you've created your own and keep them there - such as on a
memory card.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 3:12:07 AM

AlanS wrote:

> "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>If so, where can they be found on my PC? If not, how do I sync them?
>>
>>TIA
>>

> They have a file name?
> Windows has a search function (Start, Find)
>
> Guess what you can do with these 2 bits of information?

Thanks. As I indicated in another post, I'm a simple person, but I'm
'fraid I'm too simple for your extremely simple means of finding them.
Guess I'm just too used to providing a file name last thing (on PC).
Will have to get used to providing a filename first (PPC).

I had to stop a minute, and think... Gee, I don't remember file names
even being provided. Duh!

> (Mine are placed in a folder in My Documents where the name starts off with
> the Device name I've given my pda in Settings, System, About, Device ID tab.
> Perhaps yours is? )

A little confusion here. Using File Explorer, My Notes are in My Device
| My Documents as additional folders. Interestingly enough, I also find
two additional items that aren't notes: one of my Pocket Excel files and
a poker game (that I installled) executable.

Do you happen to know why my one other Pocket Excel file is not there,
if that's where they should reside, and why is that game executable there?

> But they will only be synced if they are in the default directory used for
> files, not if you've created your own and keep them there - such as on a
> memory card.

Does this mean that nothing on a memory card can be synced? I haven't
tried 'copying' anything from PDA to PC. Can memory card data be 'copied'?

BTW, using FIND, I am unable to find __ANY__ "My Documents" folders.
Have I screwed up again?

Thanks again, for all your help.

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:22:09 AM

> AlanS wrote:
>
> > "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>If so, where can they be found on my PC? If not, how do I sync them?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>

> > They have a file name?
> > Windows has a search function (Start, Find)
> >
> > Guess what you can do with these 2 bits of information?
>
> Thanks. As I indicated in another post, I'm a simple person, but I'm
> 'fraid I'm too simple for your extremely simple means of finding them.
> Guess I'm just too used to providing a file name last thing (on PC).
> Will have to get used to providing a filename first (PPC).
>
> I had to stop a minute, and think... Gee, I don't remember file names
> even being provided. Duh!
> >

> > (Mine are placed in a folder in My Documents where the name starts off
with
> > the Device name I've given my pda in Settings, System, About, Device ID
tab.
> > Perhaps yours is? )
>
> A little confusion here. Using File Explorer, My Notes are in My Device
> | My Documents as additional folders. Interestingly enough, I also find
> two additional items that aren't notes: one of my Pocket Excel files and
> a poker game (that I installled) executable.
>
> Do you happen to know why my one other Pocket Excel file is not there,
> if that's where they should reside, and why is that game executable there?

It may be that you saved them in different places at some time.

> > But they will only be synced if they are in the default directory used
for
> > files, not if you've created your own and keep them there - such as on a
> > memory card.
>
> Does this mean that nothing on a memory card can be synced? I haven't
> tried 'copying' anything from PDA to PC. Can memory card data be
'copied'?

It's not synced with activesync. A memory card won't be wiped out like your
pda memory when the battery gets flat, and syncing fewer folders/files
reduces the time a backup will take. But only MS really know why they did
things the way they did.
You can copy memory card contents through file explorer to back it up. If
you have a memory card reader you'll find transfer speeds are better than
going via activesync. There are other backup programs that have been
mentioned in the newsgroup but I think a straight forward copy of it is
fine. Your choice.

As a slight aside remember that the activesync backup isnt a copy of all or
your pda files- if you lose the memory contents through a flat battery you
don't get everything back using activesyncs copy of your files. My pda came
with two separate backup programs for a proper machine backup.

> BTW, using FIND, I am unable to find __ANY__ "My Documents" folders.
> Have I screwed up again?

This will depend on your systems OS, and also the programs installed on the
machine.

!