Dell Says it Can't Build Enough XPS 13 Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
HP folio is probably one of the better ultra books out there right now. Performance and battery life combined. If only it had the screen resolution of the Asus zenbook or back lit keyboard.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]tramit[/nom]HP folio is probably one of the better ultra books out there right now. Performance and battery life combined. If only it had the screen resolution of the Asus zenbook or back lit keyboard.[/citation]

The higher screen resolution is not an issue in enterprise environments. Elitists on the internet are the only ones complaining. And the Folio 13 does have a backlit keyboard.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I don't know why computer manufactures took this long to figure it out. People don't need a full size laptop with a dedicated graphics card and a power hungry i5 CPU. I believe 128GB SSD, Intel HD 3000/2000, and a low power i5 fits the need of most people who just web browse and makes word document. Atoms were suppose to be that target but they were cheap and slow.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Gets surprisingly good reviews even for build quality, which usually is crap on Dell products.

I'd still rather spend a bit more on a MacBook Air.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Overpriced and under spec'd, hard to believe there are that many suckers out there. Either he is outright lying or corporate moron are soaking these up.

Max supported RAM is 4GB and comes with a POS 1368x768 no viewing angle washed out LCD. By the time you put decent HDD and CPU in it the price is $1500+, typical Dell ripoff.

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Gets surprisingly good reviews even for build quality, which usually is crap on Dell products.I'd still rather spend a bit more on a MacBook Air.[/citation]

MacBook Air will be good for your personal use(I got one), but it's not going to go well in a corporate where most of support are for windows, and you will have a headache of compatibility with everyone else in the company.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
The cheapest XPS 13 on dell website cost $1169.99, so I do not know where $999 price come from. While it is a bit cheaper than 13" Macbook air ($1299.00), and has CD, MacBook has better screen (better colors, better resolution) and faster processor. And yeah, Apple build quality is superior to Dell's (though I do not have actual experience with XPS 13) and things like large multitouch pad are nice too.

Overall, I still think that Apple has just better laptop for nearly the same price. However, for businesses XPS seems to be a solid machine.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]MacBook Air will be good for your personal use(I got one), but it's not going to go well in a corporate where most of support are for windows, and you will have a headache of compatibility with everyone else in the company.[/citation]

Might be good if you actually had some IT knowledge before you spew opinion. My company issues Windows and Mac laptops. The general word is that Mac's are easier to maintain and less of a headache. Particulary around having to rebuild them after they pick up a virus (and yes, we have all sorts of Windows antivirus running and we require VPN to access the corporate network). Our IT says it has never had to rebuilt a Mac.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Might be good if you actually had some IT knowledge before you spew opinion. My company issues Windows and Mac laptops. The general word is that Mac's are easier to maintain and less of a headache. Particulary around having to rebuild them after they pick up a virus (and yes, we have all sorts of Windows antivirus running and we require VPN to access the corporate network). Our IT says it has never had to rebuilt a Mac.[/citation]
I think we can learn something here. Not all corporations are the same. Blanket statements that cover all of them are likely to be occasionally, if not frequently, wrong.

Additionally, tell your IT department that it's 2012 and they should probably start imaging machines instead of rebuilding them. ;-p I've done both and they should invest the time into learning how. That said, not having to do either (if that is the advantage Mac's give) is pretty appealing, although I've definitely had compatibility issues with Mac using coworkers.

firemachine69

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Anyone handle this thing?

Only possible reason I can think of to go Dell is the Gorilla glass. (Due out sometime soon?)

The base model isn't even cheaper than the upgraded Acer... And god help you if you decide to put some common options on it!

(Still looking for a Toshiba ultrabook for myself.)

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Might be good if you actually had some IT knowledge before you spew opinion. My company issues Windows and Mac laptops. The general word is that Mac's are easier to maintain and less of a headache. Particulary around having to rebuild them after they pick up a virus (and yes, we have all sorts of Windows antivirus running and we require VPN to access the corporate network). Our IT says it has never had to rebuilt a Mac.[/citation]
When you run active directory/windows domain you can run into problems with compatibility with Mac pc's, for simplicity's sake it's better to just stick to an all windows environment.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]dotaloc[/nom]Additionally, tell your IT department that it's 2012 and they should probably start imaging machines instead of rebuilding them. ;-p I've done both and they should invest the time into learning how. That said, not having to do either (if that is the advantage Mac's give) is pretty appealing, although I've definitely had compatibility issues with Mac using coworkers.[/citation]

Yup...we tried the Mac thing too...lasted about a year. We still have two holdouts that insist on having their Macbooks...however they also have to carry Dell laptops because they simply can't accomplish everything they need to with the Macbooks.

Of course we had less problems with the Macs...we weren't really able to use them. Our PCs are used 24/7, thus, more issues. That said, out of 3 servers, 40 workstations and 22 laptops, i've had to re-image ONE LAPTOP twice this year. ONE. Pretty hard to complain about that.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Gets surprisingly good reviews even for build quality, which usually is crap on Dell products.I'd still rather spend a bit more on a MacBook Air.[/citation]
Macbook Air....build quality.....soldered RAM....yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.