Installing Xp on a new drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Recently when replacing a drive in a friends computer I had some problems
getting the machine to install windows. The machine in question is a Tiny
Computers TI440BXM. It is a fairly old machine from about 2001. I replaced
the hard drive and attempted to boot off of the Win Xp pro cd I have. It
said it was detecting the hardware then came up with this message. --- "INF
File txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 4096 Setup cannot continue
press any key to exit" Which I did.

I then tried the recovery set that came with the computer, which has
Windows ME. It is a cd and floppy disk you insert at the same time and
reboot. However an error message came up again saying " Error # 91 - Disk
manager has been detected on drive 0 but disc manager is not running..." It
told me to reboot with the floppy. I clicked ok on this and the program
seemed to run, then as the progress bar started another error message
displayed. " Error# 1826 Error: Free Space not found." I did format the
drive properly with software from the drives manufacturer. Has anyone any
idea what is happening. Could these error messages be part of something
Tiny has built into their systems to prevent people from formatting the
drive with any other cd rather than their own or use a hard drive they
haven't installed?.

Jake
3 answers Last reply
More about installing drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Did you check the BIOS settings for the new hard-drive? Should be Primary
    IDE Master... also check that its size, dma, io modes are accurate or set
    them to auto. Of course, see the jumper settings on the hard-drive, if any.
    Michael

    "Jake" <Jake@home.com> wrote in message
    > Recently when replacing a drive in a friends computer I had some problems
    > getting the machine to install windows. The machine in question is a Tiny
    > Computers TI440BXM. It is a fairly old machine from about 2001. I
    > replaced
    > the hard drive and attempted to boot off of the Win Xp pro cd I have. It
    > said it was detecting the hardware then came up with this message. ---
    > "INF
    > File txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 4096 Setup cannot continue
    > press any key to exit" Which I did.
    >
    > I then tried the recovery set that came with the computer, which has
    > Windows ME. It is a cd and floppy disk you insert at the same time and
    > reboot. However an error message came up again saying " Error # 91 - Disk
    > manager has been detected on drive 0 but disc manager is not running..."
    > It
    > told me to reboot with the floppy. I clicked ok on this and the program
    > seemed to run, then as the progress bar started another error message
    > displayed. " Error# 1826 Error: Free Space not found." I did format the
    > drive properly with software from the drives manufacturer. Has anyone
    > any
    > idea what is happening. Could these error messages be part of something
    > Tiny has built into their systems to prevent people from formatting the
    > drive with any other cd rather than their own or use a hard drive they
    > haven't installed?.
    >
    > Jake

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    With regards to the problem with the original recovery set, do you know if
    the files for recovery are stored on the CD or a partition on the original
    HD. If they were stored on the old HD, then I think you're out of luck.

    "Jake" wrote:

    > I then tried the recovery set that came with the computer, which has
    > Windows ME. It is a cd and floppy disk you insert at the same time and
    > reboot. However an error message came up again saying " Error # 91 - Disk
    > manager has been detected on drive 0 but disc manager is not running..." It
    > told me to reboot with the floppy. I clicked ok on this and the program
    > seemed to run, then as the progress bar started another error message
    > displayed. " Error# 1826 Error: Free Space not found." I did format the
    > drive properly with software from the drives manufacturer. Has anyone any
    > idea what is happening. Could these error messages be part of something
    > Tiny has built into their systems to prevent people from formatting the
    > drive with any other cd rather than their own or use a hard drive they
    > haven't installed?.
    >
    > Jake

    Jake

    Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing exactly
    the same thing. I have replaced the HD on my parents Tiny PC with a
    brand new 80GB Maxtor drive. The installation went fine (HD is
    recognised in BIOS) and I ran the accompanying software to set up the
    drive. However when I start the drive with the backup WIN XP CD the
    "Error #91 message" appears. If I try to boot with no disc the message
    NTLDR is missing appears. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Tom

    --
    tommo101

Windows XP