front panel audio port

i have a separate pci audio card, and even though i correctly connected the
front audio port on my case to the motherboard, the front audio wont work...
please help!!
7 answers Last reply
More about front panel audio port

    If it doesn't work, how do you know you "correctly"
    connected the PCI audio and front port?

    Does the card show in device manager? Are the front
    ports,speaker ports or line in/out ports? What brand is
    this PCI card, a name brand such as TurtleBeach or Audigy or
    something cheap you found at a flea market? Did it come
    with a manual that was well written?

    "keisuke" <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    |i have a separate pci audio card, and even though i
    correctly connected the
    | front audio port on my case to the motherboard, the front
    audio wont work...
    | please help!!

    Umm, are you using the onboard sound or the PCI Audio card? You need to
    connect the front panel to the sound source you are using. That may be
    your problem.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    keisuke wrote:
    > i have a separate pci audio card, and even though i correctly connected the
    > front audio port on my case to the motherboard, the front audio wont work...
    > please help!!

    yes i am using my pci audio card, which is a sound blaster audigy ls... so
    would that mean that i have to connect my front panel to the sound card?? but
    i was only able to find two 4-pin headers, a single row of 10 pins, and 2
    rows with 3 on one row and 5 on the other... it seems like it should be the
    one with 2 rows, but the pins are unmarked, and they dont match the pin
    arrangement of my connector on the case. it also doensn't say anything about
    the front panel connection on the sound card guide book..

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Umm, are you using the onboard sound or the PCI Audio card? You need to
    > connect the front panel to the sound source you are using. That may be
    > your problem.
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > keisuke wrote:
    > > i have a separate pci audio card, and even though i correctly connected the
    > > front audio port on my case to the motherboard, the front audio wont work...
    > > please help!!

    Good luck figuring out where to connect the front panel on the Audigy
    card. The only way to get sound out of the front panel is going to be
    by enabling the onboard sound and connecting it to the motherboard (at
    least without going to some extreme method).

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    keisuke wrote:
    > yes i am using my pci audio card, which is a sound blaster audigy ls... so
    > would that mean that i have to connect my front panel to the sound card?? but
    > i was only able to find two 4-pin headers, a single row of 10 pins, and 2
    > rows with 3 on one row and 5 on the other... it seems like it should be the
    > one with 2 rows, but the pins are unmarked, and they dont match the pin
    > arrangement of my connector on the case. it also doensn't say anything about
    > the front panel connection on the sound card guide book..
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Umm, are you using the onboard sound or the PCI Audio card? You need to
    >>connect the front panel to the sound source you are using. That may be
    >>your problem.
    >>
    >>-----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>
    >>keisuke wrote:
    >>
    >>>i have a separate pci audio card, and even though i correctly connected the
    >>>front audio port on my case to the motherboard, the front audio wont work...
    >>>please help!!

    one last thing, if i have to enable my onboard sound, wouldnt that mean that
    i would have to disable my pci sound card??

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Good luck figuring out where to connect the front panel on the Audigy
    > card. The only way to get sound out of the front panel is going to be
    > by enabling the onboard sound and connecting it to the motherboard (at
    > least without going to some extreme method).
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > keisuke wrote:
    > > yes i am using my pci audio card, which is a sound blaster audigy ls... so
    > > would that mean that i have to connect my front panel to the sound card?? but
    > > i was only able to find two 4-pin headers, a single row of 10 pins, and 2
    > > rows with 3 on one row and 5 on the other... it seems like it should be the
    > > one with 2 rows, but the pins are unmarked, and they dont match the pin
    > > arrangement of my connector on the case. it also doensn't say anything about
    > > the front panel connection on the sound card guide book..
    > >
    > > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Umm, are you using the onboard sound or the PCI Audio card? You need to
    > >>connect the front panel to the sound source you are using. That may be
    > >>your problem.
    > >>
    > >>-----
    > >>Nathan McNulty

    Not necessarily. In the Sound Options, you simply need to choose which
    sound source to use. Personally, I think it is more trouble than it is
    worth, but if it is important to you, go for it :)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    keisuke wrote:
    > one last thing, if i have to enable my onboard sound, wouldnt that mean that
    > i would have to disable my pci sound card??
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Good luck figuring out where to connect the front panel on the Audigy
    >>card. The only way to get sound out of the front panel is going to be
    >>by enabling the onboard sound and connecting it to the motherboard (at
    >>least without going to some extreme method).
    >>
    >>-----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>
    >>keisuke wrote:
    >>
    >>>yes i am using my pci audio card, which is a sound blaster audigy ls... so
    >>>would that mean that i have to connect my front panel to the sound card?? but
    >>> i was only able to find two 4-pin headers, a single row of 10 pins, and 2
    >>>rows with 3 on one row and 5 on the other... it seems like it should be the
    >>>one with 2 rows, but the pins are unmarked, and they dont match the pin
    >>>arrangement of my connector on the case. it also doensn't say anything about
    >>>the front panel connection on the sound card guide book..

  7. i do have the same problems with the front audio panel, but i just figured it out how to enable it, maybe this could help you out ,go to control panel > click realtek hd sound effect mananger . and then see the image below to adjust the settings

    http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1853/howtoe.png

Audio Front Panel Microsoft Windows XP