Applications crashing, increasing voltage seems to help bu..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've been experiencing application crashes for a few months now, with
it getting worse and worse. A backup without compression works fine
but a backup with compression crashes every time. This lead me to
believe it was the CPU and when I increase voltage then I can do a
backup with compression without crashing. However, when I increase
the voltage 0.05 the CPU runs really hot. I was rendering a DVD and
the CPU temp got up to 64 and then the program crashed. I am not
overclocking so I don't understand why this is happening. Could this
be a problem with my motherboard? Is there anyway I can find out for
sure before I buy a new motherboard?

Thanks
Michael
1 answer Last reply
More about applications crashing increasing voltage
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    please_do_not_reply@hotmail.com (Michael Akins) wrote in message news:<c9a51356.0407170657.61daf3cb@posting.google.com>...
    > I've been experiencing application crashes for a few months now, with
    > it getting worse and worse. A backup without compression works fine
    > but a backup with compression crashes every time. This lead me to
    > believe it was the CPU and when I increase voltage then I can do a
    > backup with compression without crashing. However, when I increase
    > the voltage 0.05 the CPU runs really hot. I was rendering a DVD and
    > the CPU temp got up to 64 and then the program crashed. I am not
    > overclocking so I don't understand why this is happening. Could this
    > be a problem with my motherboard? Is there anyway I can find out for
    > sure before I buy a new motherboard?

    Just a follow-up note, in order to help others: I bought a new
    motherboard and now everything is fine. It was definitely the
    motherboard. Now my CPU temp is 44 even when 100% used rendering
    video. With the Epox I was over 50 idle. I also applied artic silver
    to the CPU/heatsink when I upgraded, so that could help too.

    Life's too short and motherboards too cheap to suffer through crashes
    caused by a bad motherboard!

    Michael

Epox Overclocking Backup Compression Motherboards