8kha+ Fastest CPU?

Can anyone tell me the fastest CPU supported by the 8kha+? ....and
what it's default voltage and multiplier are?

Will this mobo support the Athlon XP Mobile 2600+?

I've tried checking www.epox.com, but it has been down.

Thanks!
14 answers Last reply
More about 8kha fastest
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    fastest cpu is indeed the xp2600
    faster is not posible du to power problems on the mb
    but you can try a mobile xp and overclock it
    problem with this is the mp that is max 12.5x with unlocked xp

    ==============
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Officially that is. In practice, the fastest CPU one can put onto an 8KHA+
    without modifications is the MP 2800+. Unlike the XP 2800+ which runs on a
    333MHz bus, the MP version is limited to 266 MHz for the sake of
    compatibility with the MP chipsets. Unless I am mistaking, this is also the
    only Barton-core processor to fit this mobo. I have been running this CPU on
    my 8KHA+ for 6 months and it works great. The only (very small) problem is
    that the BIOS will only recognize it as an "AMD K7 processor" so you cannot
    it show off to your friends by hitting "My Computer | Properties" ;-). But
    the performance is there. The additionnal cache makes a definite improvement
    over the 2600+. And as a bonus, this CPU is factory-unlocked. My system is
    running at 145 MHz FSB. And it runs cooler than my old XP1800+ !!! (larger
    core surface area?)

    hope this helps

    --
    Guillaume Couture
    Montréal QC

    "rene" <degenaars@quicknet-dot-nl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in article:
    > fastest cpu is indeed the xp2600
    > faster is not posible du to power problems on the mb
    > but you can try a mobile xp and overclock it
    > problem with this is the mp that is max 12.5x with unlocked xp
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Hmmm.....This intrigues me.... Could I ask what BIOS version (by date) that
    you're using? And what multiplier setting does the MP 2800+ CPU use at default?

    I don't care if the name of the CPU doesn't show up at boot-up time. Mine
    already shows up as "Unknown CPU" now. I presently have an AthlonXP2100 in my
    system. Would the MP2800+ provide a big boost?

    Thanks! 8-)

    Guillaume wrote:

    > Officially that is. In practice, the fastest CPU one can put onto an 8KHA+
    > without modifications is the MP 2800+. Unlike the XP 2800+ which runs on a
    > 333MHz bus, the MP version is limited to 266 MHz for the sake of
    > compatibility with the MP chipsets. Unless I am mistaking, this is also the
    > only Barton-core processor to fit this mobo. I have been running this CPU on
    > my 8KHA+ for 6 months and it works great. The only (very small) problem is
    > that the BIOS will only recognize it as an "AMD K7 processor" so you cannot
    > it show off to your friends by hitting "My Computer | Properties" ;-). But
    > the performance is there. The additionnal cache makes a definite improvement
    > over the 2600+. And as a bonus, this CPU is factory-unlocked. My system is
    > running at 145 MHz FSB. And it runs cooler than my old XP1800+ !!! (larger
    > core surface area?)
    >
    > hope this helps
    >
    > --
    > Guillaume Couture
    > Montréal QC
    >
    > "rene" <degenaars@quicknet-dot-nl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in article:
    > > fastest cpu is indeed the xp2600
    > > faster is not posible du to power problems on the mb
    > > but you can try a mobile xp and overclock it
    > > problem with this is the mp that is max 12.5x with unlocked xp
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> wrote in message
    > Hmmm.....This intrigues me.... Could I ask what BIOS version (by date)
    > that you're using? And what multiplier setting does the MP 2800+ CPU use
    > at default?
    >
    > I don't care if the name of the CPU doesn't show up at boot-up time. Mine
    > already shows up as "Unknown CPU" now. I presently have an AthlonXP2100
    > in my system. Would the MP2800+ provide a big boost?

    Nope, since the memory bandwidth (PC2100 DDR) using a XP2200+ is already at
    85%! Theoretically you have a 15% "boost" left.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I'd be curious to know what multiplier you're running the MP2800 at, along with
    that 140 FSB? From past experience, my HDD's don't like a FSB over 140.

    Also, could I use the same HSF on the mobile CPU as what I use now on my
    XP2100? I forget exactly which one I have, but it's a 3rd party one that
    provides quite a bit of cooling.

    Guillaume wrote:

    > Officially that is. In practice, the fastest CPU one can put onto an 8KHA+
    > without modifications is the MP 2800+. Unlike the XP 2800+ which runs on a
    > 333MHz bus, the MP version is limited to 266 MHz for the sake of
    > compatibility with the MP chipsets. Unless I am mistaking, this is also the
    > only Barton-core processor to fit this mobo. I have been running this CPU on
    > my 8KHA+ for 6 months and it works great. The only (very small) problem is
    > that the BIOS will only recognize it as an "AMD K7 processor" so you cannot
    > it show off to your friends by hitting "My Computer | Properties" ;-). But
    > the performance is there. The additionnal cache makes a definite improvement
    > over the 2600+. And as a bonus, this CPU is factory-unlocked. My system is
    > running at 145 MHz FSB. And it runs cooler than my old XP1800+ !!! (larger
    > core surface area?)
    >
    > hope this helps
    >
    > --
    > Guillaume Couture
    > Montréal QC
    >
    > "rene" <degenaars@quicknet-dot-nl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in article:
    > > fastest cpu is indeed the xp2600
    > > faster is not posible du to power problems on the mb
    > > but you can try a mobile xp and overclock it
    > > problem with this is the mp that is max 12.5x with unlocked xp
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    I don't quite understand your response. Were you referring to my question about
    upgrading the RAM to PC2700 or PC3200, or to my question about upgrading the CPU
    to MP2800?

    Steven K wrote:

    > "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> wrote in message
    > > Hmmm.....This intrigues me.... Could I ask what BIOS version (by date)
    > > that you're using? And what multiplier setting does the MP 2800+ CPU use
    > > at default?
    > >
    > > I don't care if the name of the CPU doesn't show up at boot-up time. Mine
    > > already shows up as "Unknown CPU" now. I presently have an AthlonXP2100
    > > in my system. Would the MP2800+ provide a big boost?
    > >

    > Nope, since the memory bandwidth (PC2100 DDR) using a XP2200+ is already at
    > 85%! Theoretically you have a 15% "boost" left.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    > I don't quite understand your response. Were you referring to my
    > question about upgrading the RAM to PC2700 or PC3200, or to my question
    > about upgrading the CPU to MP2800?

    I am referring to your speed boost question! Since your mobo is "fixed" to a
    133/266FSB it does not really matter what u upgrade ( better CPU, DDR) - the
    speed boost won't be what u expect since the DDR bus is (even) with a 2200+
    CPU already at 85% utilisation!

    Better now?

    Steve

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    sorry for this late reply, I was out of town for the last few days.

    To answer your questions: I'm using BIOS revision 8KHAI3425 published on
    05/09/2003. As far as I know, that was the last one issued.

    After various experimentation, I just left my multiplier on "auto", since
    this CPU requires 16x multiplier, but the board only goes to 15x. CPU clock
    is set to 145 MHz, CPU core is set at +0.025V and VDIMM is set to +0.10V.

    hope this helps.

    GC

    "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> a écrit dans le message de
    > I'd be curious to know what multiplier you're running the MP2800 at, along
    with
    > that 140 FSB? From past experience, my HDD's don't like a FSB over 140.
    >
    > Also, could I use the same HSF on the mobile CPU as what I use now on my
    > XP2100? I forget exactly which one I have, but it's a 3rd party one that
    > provides quite a bit of cooling.
    >

    > Guillaume wrote:
    >
    > > Officially that is. In practice, the fastest CPU one can put onto an
    8KHA+
    > > without modifications is the MP 2800+. Unlike the XP 2800+ which runs on
    > > 333MHz bus, the MP version is limited to 266 MHz for the sake of
    > > compatibility with the MP chipsets. Unless I am mistaking, this is also
    the
    > > only Barton-core processor to fit this mobo. I have been running this
    CPU on
    > > my 8KHA+ for 6 months and it works great. The only (very small) problem
    is
    > > that the BIOS will only recognize it as an "AMD K7 processor" so you
    cannot
    > > it show off to your friends by hitting "My Computer | Properties" ;-).
    But
    > > the performance is there. The additionnal cache makes a definite
    improvement
    > > over the 2600+. And as a bonus, this CPU is factory-unlocked. My system
    is
    > > running at 145 MHz FSB. And it runs cooler than my old XP1800+ !!!
    (larger
    > > core surface area?)
    > >
    > > hope this helps
    > >
    > > --
    > > Guillaume Couture
    > > Montréal QC
    > >
    > > "rene" <degenaars@quicknet-dot-nl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in article:
    > > > fastest cpu is indeed the xp2600
    > > > faster is not posible du to power problems on the mb
    > > > but you can try a mobile xp and overclock it
    > > > problem with this is the mp that is max 12.5x with unlocked xp
    > > >
    > > > ==============
    > > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    How do you calculate this 85% figure?

    In the end, it depends what you do with your computer. The speed boost will
    be quite noticeable for processor-intensive applications. FSB will be a
    limiting factor for memory/graphics intensive applications. Although I
    didn't run elaborate benchmarks, there was a clear, immediately noticeable
    improvement when I upgraded to 2800+. Note now that I am not a gamer, and
    that I mostly run scientific software. SETI@Home work unit computing time
    went down from 4h15 each to about 3h30 for example.

    Also, in my initial posting I said I boosted the FSB to 145, that was an
    error, I meant of course that I boosted the CPU *clock* to 145, sorry for
    the mixup...

    GC

    "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> wrote in message
    > > I don't quite understand your response. Were you referring to my
    > > question about upgrading the RAM to PC2700 or PC3200, or to my question
    > > about upgrading the CPU to MP2800?
    >

    > I am referring to your speed boost question! Since your mobo is "fixed" to
    > 133/266FSB it does not really matter what u upgrade ( better CPU, DDR) -
    the
    > speed boost won't be what u expect since the DDR bus is (even) with a
    2200+
    > CPU already at 85% utilisation!
    >
    > Better now?
    >
    > Steve

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Guillaume wrote:
    > How do you calculate this 85% figure?
    >
    > In the end, it depends what you do with your computer. The speed
    > boost will be quite noticeable for processor-intensive applications.
    > FSB will be a limiting factor for memory/graphics intensive
    > applications. Although I didn't run elaborate benchmarks, there was a
    > clear, immediately noticeable improvement when I upgraded to 2800+.
    > Note now that I am not a gamer, and that I mostly run scientific
    > software. SETI@Home work unit computing time went down from 4h15 each
    > to about 3h30 for example.
    >
    > Also, in my initial posting I said I boosted the FSB to 145, that was
    > an error, I meant of course that I boosted the CPU *clock* to 145,
    > sorry for the mixup...

    Aren't they (CPU/FSB clocks) the same thing on an E-8KHA+ m/board?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    "Guillaume" <gars.cool@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > How do you calculate this 85% figure?

    Sisoft Sandra tells me this utilisation on my 8KHA+ and a 2200+ CPU

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    OK. Thanks for that info!

    Guillaume wrote:

    > sorry for this late reply, I was out of town for the last few days.
    >
    > To answer your questions: I'm using BIOS revision 8KHAI3425 published on
    > 05/09/2003. As far as I know, that was the last one issued.
    >
    > After various experimentation, I just left my multiplier on "auto", since
    > this CPU requires 16x multiplier, but the board only goes to 15x. CPU clock
    > is set to 145 MHz, CPU core is set at +0.025V and VDIMM is set to +0.10V.
    >
    > hope this helps.
    >
    > GC
    >
    > "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> a écrit dans le message de
    > > I'd be curious to know what multiplier you're running the MP2800 at, along
    > with
    > > that 140 FSB? From past experience, my HDD's don't like a FSB over 140.
    > >
    > > Also, could I use the same HSF on the mobile CPU as what I use now on my
    > > XP2100? I forget exactly which one I have, but it's a 3rd party one that
    > > provides quite a bit of cooling.
    > >

    > > Guillaume wrote:
    > >
    > > > Officially that is. In practice, the fastest CPU one can put onto an
    > 8KHA+
    > > > without modifications is the MP 2800+. Unlike the XP 2800+ which runs on
    > > > 333MHz bus, the MP version is limited to 266 MHz for the sake of
    > > > compatibility with the MP chipsets. Unless I am mistaking, this is also
    > the
    > > > only Barton-core processor to fit this mobo. I have been running this
    > CPU on
    > > > my 8KHA+ for 6 months and it works great. The only (very small) problem
    > is
    > > > that the BIOS will only recognize it as an "AMD K7 processor" so you
    > cannot
    > > > it show off to your friends by hitting "My Computer | Properties" ;-).
    > But
    > > > the performance is there. The additionnal cache makes a definite
    > improvement
    > > > over the 2600+. And as a bonus, this CPU is factory-unlocked. My system
    > is
    > > > running at 145 MHz FSB. And it runs cooler than my old XP1800+ !!!
    > (larger
    > > > core surface area?)
    > > >
    > > > hope this helps
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Guillaume Couture
    > > > Montréal QC
    > > >
    > > > "rene" <degenaars@quicknet-dot-nl.no-spam.invalid> wrote in article:

    > > > troubleshooting newsgroups.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Ah! Now I understand. Thanks!

    Steven K wrote:

    > "BRH @comcast.net>" <"bhoenig<no-spam> wrote in message
    > > I don't quite understand your response. Were you referring to my
    > > question about upgrading the RAM to PC2700 or PC3200, or to my question
    > > about upgrading the CPU to MP2800?
    >
    > I am referring to your speed boost question! Since your mobo is "fixed" to a
    > 133/266FSB it does not really matter what u upgrade ( better CPU, DDR) - the
    > speed boost won't be what u expect since the DDR bus is (even) with a 2200+
    > CPU already at 85% utilisation!
    >
    > Better now?
    >
    > Steve

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Hi

    8KHA (rev 1.3) max is 1800+ Athlon XP (Palomino core) at 266MHz.

    8KHA+ (rev 2.0) max is 2600+ Athlon XP (T-bred core) at 266MHz.

    Of course it depends on the REV which you did not provide. We don't support
    Mobile, but I believe some users have them.

    Technical Support Department
    EPoX International, Inc.
    support@epox.com
    www.epox.com

    Visit the EPoX store for all those hard to find motherboard accessories...
    BIOS chips, heatsinks, cables, and much more! https://www.epoxstore.com

    > Can anyone tell me the fastest CPU supported by the 8kha+? ....and
    > what it's default voltage and multiplier are?
    >
    > Will this mobo support the Athlon XP Mobile 2600+?
    >
    > I've tried checking www.epox.com, but it has been down.
    >
    > Thanks!

Epox CPUs Motherboards