CD Writing Wizard does not recognize CD-R media

October 10, 2004 10:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi all:

Setup:
=======
WinXP Pro SP2
Lite-On DVD-R/W LDW-451S

The problem:
=============
I'm trying to copy files from a hard disk to a CD-R using Windows
Explorer. I've done this multiple times before. Now the CD Writing
Wizard stops with the messages:

Insert a writable disc to continue
There is no disc in the drive

Clues:
=======
Clicking "Next" on the CD Writing Wizard does nothing - it stays on that
same screen until I cancel.

Clicking on the CD drive (G:)  in Windows Explorer shows the "Files Ready
to Be Written to the CD".

I've tried Memorex 52x CD-Rs and Maxell 40x CR-Rs with the same results.

I've been able to burn music CDs from within MusicMatch 9.

When I try to switch to the drive via a "cmd" shell, I get a message:
Incorrect function.

1. What has happened to my system?
2. What's the best newsgroups/forums to get help?

Regards,

Bill
October 11, 2004 1:04:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Bill,

There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;EN-US;q324129

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Issues That Occur When You Write Data to a CD-R or
CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q324129

CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized As a Recordable Device
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316529

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=k...;en-us;Q320553

"Incorrect Function" Error Message When You Access the CD-ROM Drive, DVD-ROM
Drive, or CD-RW Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315350

How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321641

Hardware Compatibility List
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/search.asp

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Bill" <billmuy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p bidnSH0f7SIdfTcRVn-sw@comcast.com...
> Hi all:
>
> Setup:
> =======
> WinXP Pro SP2
> Lite-On DVD-R/W LDW-451S
>
> The problem:
> =============
> I'm trying to copy files from a hard disk to a CD-R using Windows
> Explorer. I've done this multiple times before. Now the CD Writing
> Wizard stops with the messages:
>
> Insert a writable disc to continue
> There is no disc in the drive
>
> Clues:
> =======
> Clicking "Next" on the CD Writing Wizard does nothing - it stays on that
> same screen until I cancel.
>
> Clicking on the CD drive (G:)  in Windows Explorer shows the "Files Ready
> to Be Written to the CD".
>
> I've tried Memorex 52x CD-Rs and Maxell 40x CR-Rs with the same results.
>
> I've been able to burn music CDs from within MusicMatch 9.
>
> When I try to switch to the drive via a "cmd" shell, I get a message:
> Incorrect function.
>

> 1. What has happened to my system?
> 2. What's the best newsgroups/forums to get help?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill
March 21, 2010 3:14:47 PM

I had the same problem with the wizard, but using sonic third party software i could write data files to the cd. i looked at all the microsoft suggestions including the regedit suggestion, even though my properties had the "recording" tab showing the drive as being recognized.

i looked at the help file in the sonic "dla" tab (learn more about dla). to make a long story short, i disabled the dla function in the drive properties and the wizard magically started working again. the help file text is below.

"Using DLA with Windows XP
Windows XP includes a program that provides some, but not all, of the recording and disc preparation features available in DLA. Only one program can be enabled at a time for each user. You must disable the software provided with Windows XP before DLA can be used. This is done for the current user when DLA is installed on the computer. Other users will be given the opportunity to enable DLA after they have logged on.

To switch between DLA and the default recording program:

1.In My Computer, right-click your recorder drive, then click Properties.
The Properties dialog box appears.

1.Select the DLA tab on the Properties dialog box.
If a check mark appears beside the Drag-and-drop recording option, DLA will be used for your drag-and-drop recording. If the box is empty, the default program will be used.

1.Add or remove the check mark beside this option to switch between programs.
Switching Users During DLA Operations
User switching in Windows XP is allowed even if DLA is in the middle of copying files or formatting a disc. However, if the new user tries to shut down the computer before DLA finishes an operation started by a previous user, a dialog box will appear asking the new user to wait until DLA has finished.

Caution: Turning off the computer while DLA is copying files or formatting a disc may result in lost data or an unusable disc. "

tom from nc

ps, i was refurbishing an almost dead hp511n pavillion.

December 17, 2011 2:55:19 PM

!