8K7a Anyone else having problems with Unimodem in Win2k?

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.

I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
(unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.

The nearest I have got is to stop Unimodem reporting itself as 'not
working properly' but to get that I had to uninstall all the other
wave drivers including the onboard sound and hang them whilst I
installed the modem first.

Even then I only get sound out from the modems but no incoming is
recorded.

Anyone one else suffering problems with this combination?

Pete

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Pete" <nospam@me.nut> wrote in message

| I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.
|
| I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
| (unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.
|
| The nearest I have got is to stop Unimodem reporting itself as 'not
| working properly' but to get that I had to uninstall all the other
| wave drivers including the onboard sound and hang them whilst I
| installed the modem first.
|
| Even then I only get sound out from the modems but no incoming is
| recorded.
|
| Anyone one else suffering problems with this combination?
|
| Pete

This may not be related. Way back I installed Windows 2000 on my 8K7A+. It
was a disaster. All kinds of conflicts and hangups. I went back to WinMe and
more recently Windows XP. both of which worked normally. I do not do
anything adventurous on that machine these days and XP has been
exceptionally stable.

Recently I got a new Gigabyte motherboard in another system and tried Win 2K
again. I have updated it to SP4 and it has been very satisfactory, well
within the normal Windows limits for reliability. This is the machine on
which I experiment and do adventurous things, so Win2K has really been doing
very well. The only ongoing problem is with Windows explorer which reports
errors and closes when I move or copy files.
John

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:12:54 GMT, "John" <john@removebigpond.net.au>
wrote:

>| I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.
>|
>| I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
>| (unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.

Hi John,

>This may not be related. Way back I installed Windows 2000 on my 8K7A+. It
>was a disaster. All kinds of conflicts and hangups. I went back to WinMe and
>more recently Windows XP. both of which worked normally. I do not do
>anything adventurous on that machine these days and XP has been
>exceptionally stable.

I think it is related. I am fairly sure now that the onboard sound is
having a significant impact on my ability to install Unimodem \ wave
drivers.

How to resolve this without doing as you did (revert or upgrade) is
beyond me at the moment :eek:(

Thanks for info as I was thinking about trying XP.

regards

| On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:12:54 GMT, "John" <john@removebigpond.net.au>
| wrote:
|
| >| I am near the end of my patience with this motherboard and win2k.
| >|
| >| I have never been able to properly install any voice wave drivers
| >| (unimodem) for any of my modems under win2kpro.
|
| Hi John,
|
| >This may not be related. Way back I installed Windows 2000 on my 8K7A+.
It
| >was a disaster. All kinds of conflicts and hangups. I went back to WinMe
and
| >more recently Windows XP. both of which worked normally. I do not do
| >anything adventurous on that machine these days and XP has been
| >exceptionally stable.
|
| I think it is related. I am fairly sure now that the onboard sound is
| having a significant impact on my ability to install Unimodem \ wave
| drivers.
|
| How to resolve this without doing as you did (revert or upgrade) is
| beyond me at the moment :eek:(
|
| Thanks for info as I was thinking about trying XP.
|

| regards
|

| Pete

Hi Pete,

While I say I do not do adventurous things on the epox machine, it is in use
12 hours a day running business apps. I had an early glitch with XP
requiring reinstall. Since then it just works. That must be about 18 months
which is a record for me using Windows. Win 2K has some failings in the way
it implements extended interrupts which are documented on the MS Knowledge
base. That could well be the source of your problem. The nForce chipset on
the Gigabyte board must do it differently and Win 2K can handle it.
Good Luck
John.