spellcheck not working

bobbi

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004

Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
always get this error message that says something like "
spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi

"Bobbi" <bobbiandmike@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
| Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
| machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
| Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
| always get this error message that says something like "
| spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
| like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
| say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
| because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
| 24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
| school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
| grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
| that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
| problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
| anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi

Hi Bobbi -

Outlook Express does not come with a dictionary for its spell checking
function. It relies on the dictionary from other products, such as
Microsoft Word, to provide one.

If you upgraded to Windows XP and you have Microsoft Word (or Office)
installed on your computer and the spell checking function doesn't work in
Outlook Express, try reinstalling your word processing software to re-enable
it.

Interestingly I found that the dictionary from Microsoft Works 7.0 would not
provide a spell checking function within Outlook Express under Windows XP
(it did under Windows 98 and ME). I found that I needed Word in order to
have this feature.

Jef

Bobbi wrote:
> Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
> machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
> Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
> always get this error message that says something like "
> spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
> like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
> say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
> because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
> 24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
> school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
> grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
> that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
> problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
> anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi

See if something here helps:

OLEXP Spell Checker or Custom Dictionary Errors in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q178238

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Search the Outlook Express Newsgroup that were you will find the answer -
not in hardware.

r.

> Bobbi wrote:
>> Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
>> machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
>> Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
>> always get this error message that says something like "
>> spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
>> like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
>> say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
>> because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
>> 24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
>> school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
>> grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
>> that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
>> problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
>> anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi
>

> See if something here helps:
>
> OLEXP Spell Checker or Custom Dictionary Errors in Outlook Express
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q178238
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Si

Outlook Express uses the spellchecker from MS Word or MS Office so you need
to have one of these installed first. You then need to search on the web for
a file called "csapi3t1.dll" and copy it to the folder "Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof". You might need to restart Windows but the
spell checker should work now.

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
> Bobbi wrote:
>> Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
>> machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
>> Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
>> always get this error message that says something like "
>> spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
>> like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
>> say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
>> because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
>> 24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
>> school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
>> grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
>> that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
>> problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
>> anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi
>

> See if something here helps:
>
> OLEXP Spell Checker or Custom Dictionary Errors in Outlook Express
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q178238
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

"Bobbi" <bobbiandmike@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Every since my computer guys installed Windows XP on my
> machine, I haven't been able to use my spellcheck on
> Outlook Express. Not that this is a major problem, but I
> always get this error message that says something like "
> spellcheck was halted due to something or other, would I
> like to continue to send this message anyhow?" Like I
> say this isn't a major problem, but rather annoying
> because I do like to check out my grammar. It has been
> 24 years since high school, and in line of work (at a
> school) I like to at least be close to correct in my
> grammar. LOL Can some one help? I looked everywhere
> that I could think of for fixing or troubleshooting this
> problem and can't find a thing. This would be helpful if
> anyone would have a clue. thanks a bunch! Bobbi

Reading some of the posts in these newsgroups, I think
more posters should take your lead and check the
spelling of their messages before they send them. There
are some real shockers . . . Try re-installing Outlook
Express. It comes bundled with Internet Explorer 6.