CPU can't find dvd drive

My dvd drive was working fine, then one day the computer
just stopped recognizing it was there. it tell
me "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code
41)" i tried installing a new cd drive w/ no success. i
don't know what to do next. any help would be greatly
appreciated
2 answers Last reply
More about find drive

    Matt, check here for Code 41 Problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314060

    "matt" <ma21201@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My dvd drive was working fine, then one day the computer
    > just stopped recognizing it was there. it tell
    > me "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
    > this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code
    > 41)" i tried installing a new cd drive w/ no success. i
    > don't know what to do next. any help would be greatly
    > appreciated

    Hi,

    Try this:
    Start/Run/regedit
    Nevigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Hightlight the "upperFilters" and "LowerFilters" if any
    Click Edit and then click delete.

    Note: export the registry keys and save them to a specific file before
    editing any registry.

    You may also need to reinstall the burning softwares after deleted the
    filters.

    Import the backup registry file if you encounter problems after regedit.
    If everything is OK and the DVD is working fine, delete the backup registry
    file as it contained the old upper & lower filters of the CD-rom. It is of
    "NO HURRY" to delete this file until you are absolutely sure that the OS is
    working normally.

    Peter

    "matt" wrote:

    > My dvd drive was working fine, then one day the computer
    > just stopped recognizing it was there. it tell
    > me "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for
    > this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code
    > 41)" i tried installing a new cd drive w/ no success. i
    > don't know what to do next. any help would be greatly
    > appreciated

Hardware DVD Drives Windows XP