Ways to turn off chassis fan?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I've been looking around and around and around now for a good application
which can turn off that annoying chassis fan when the cpu temperature is
super minimal. Unfortunately none of these has worked so far. Any
experiences out there on that subject or should I just rip the power to the
noisy thing straight out?

I using the EP-8HDA3+ together with AOpen H600B.

Regards by Ole C.

Previously "<:: Ole C ::>" <olecl-no-spam@start.no> wrote:
> I've been looking around and around and around now for a good application
> which can turn off that annoying chassis fan when the cpu temperature is
> super minimal. Unfortunately none of these has worked so far. Any
> experiences out there on that subject or should I just rip the power to the
> noisy thing straight out?

> I using the EP-8HDA3+ together with AOpen H600B.

You could get a Papst Variofan. They do not look at CPU
temperature but air temperature in general. Should be close
enough. Other than that you have to design something yourself,
e.g. Variofan ot other temperature-controlled fan and glue the
temperature-sensot to the CPU cooler, or something like it.

Arno

lew

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

<:: Ole C ::> wrote:
> I've been looking around and around and around now for a good application
> which can turn off that annoying chassis fan when the cpu temperature is
> super minimal. Unfortunately none of these has worked so far. Any
> experiences out there on that subject or should I just rip the power to the
> noisy thing straight out?

even if there is a possibility to use some rpm-reducing software with
your mobo I would recommend replacing fan with a Thermal Control
equipped one (maybe Arctic?) or voltage reducing stuff like Zalman Fan
Mate or home-made solutions with resistors. most fans when runnig 5V
instead of 12V are almost noisless - just be aware that not all fans
start at such low voltage.

> Regards by Ole C.

best regards

Thanks for the response Arno and Lew. In the end I went and bought myself a
fan controller to adjust the voltage for all of the computer fans. The
choise was Sunbeam Rheobus which I must recommend to all users who feel
their fans are making too much noise. With the Rheobus you can also turn off
the fans completely, or adjust the rpm down to a noisy-free level.

All the best regards this time by Ole C.